Congratulations to Sports Guy

sangell2007

I know how much SG cares about Duke athletics - all of Duke athletics - so I am sure that he was partying and giving out free jewelry to all on Saturday after the Blue Devils took down Northwestern for their first win over a D1-A opponent in three years. Anyone who shows as much enthusiasm for Duke sports as SG deserves to revel in this victory for a while, and I know he takes as much pleasure in this as he does any of Duke's hardcourt victories every winter.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/09/17/Football/Defense.Stands.Strong.In.Closing.Minutes-2972505.shtml

Yeah, I forgot about this point when voting for Duke fans as worse than Red Sox or Yankees fans, but besides the fact that a lot of Duke fans never went to Duke or even lived in North Carolina, most of them root for other college football teams, which PROVES that they are bandwagon fans. For example, I have always been a fan of Maryland basketball and football, even when the football program was pretty bad. If you only root for Duke basketball and have no ties to the school, then shame on you.

P.S. I'm not saying this is true about you, SG. This is just an observation of most "Duke fans" I know.

Wait, Duke has a football team? I don't believe it. Tarheel Football is a few years away, but we'll be a force again soon. Butch Davis doesn't mess around. I realize no one cares about that last sentence, but I can't write the word Duke without following with a Carolina themed statement. It would go against everything I believe in.

Yeah, I forgot about this point when voting for Duke fans as worse than Red Sox or Yankees fans, but besides the fact that a lot of Duke fans never went to Duke or even lived in North Carolina, most of them root for other college football teams, which PROVES that they are bandwagon fans. For example, I have always been a fan of Maryland basketball and football, even when the football program was pretty bad. If you only root for Duke basketball and have no ties to the school, then shame on you.

P.S. I'm not saying this is true about you, SG. This is just an observation of most "Duke fans" I know.

That part, at very least, is true.

In SG's defense, he has always admitted that he became a Duke fan solely for bandwagon reasons as a child.

In SG's defense, he has always admitted that he became a Duke fan solely for bandwagon reasons as a child.

And in his defense, we're bandwagon fans as well for rooting for MD instead of Towson St or Loyola or someone like that.:D

I feel that as long as you stick with a team through good times and bad, you're a fan.

I suppose, but I think someone is a lesser fan if they jumped on the bandwagon of a team they had no real connection to. And in the case of Duke, there haven't been many bad times. One season is it as far as I can recall. If that one bad season happened right after the jumping onto the bandwagon, it'd be a much stronger test as well. I think most bandwagon fans basically jump off once their team hits a prolonged snag.

Archived