Orioles after Adrian Gonzalez?

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shudder to think what we'd have to give up to acquire him. Would much rather go out and overpay a little for a premium bat than give up so much young talent. I can't see any way we could bring Gonzalez here without atleast one of Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, or Britton.

Hell, subtract Matusz and I would let them pick any two. Absolute no-brainer:)

Ahh... the offseason on OH. When hope spring eternal. ;)

Dude, you're not allowed to post unless it is in the form of a poll. Get with the program already. OK??

But seriously, the off season has always been more exciting and hopeful than the regular season for me for several years now. That hope has quickly faded in the regular season as reality took hold. Perhaps this year will be different....perhaps!

:)

Guys, Andy is NOT going to trade Adam Jones! Wouldn't it be much better to have Adam Jones another year and watch him continue to develop and then sign Derrek Lee next off season?

I really think we will get Matt Holliday. Which in turn, allows us to trade Felix Pie.

Guys, Andy is NOT going to trade Adam Jones! Wouldn't it be much better to have Adam Jones another year and watch him continue to develop and then sign Derrek Lee next off season?

I really think we will get Matt Holliday. Which in turn, allows us to trade Felix Pie.

I think we make whatever trade clears room for Holliday, first. Ideally, you're dealing Pie, Scott, Snyder if it's a trade for a 1B (dealing from strength). But clearly you have no interest in adding Holliday unless you're working something else, and Adrian Gonzalez makes a lot of sense. The one thing that is clear at this point, is that there are a LOT of permutations for the Orioles going forward. Give credit to AM, we have the organizational depth to even consider making these moves.

As much as I don't like trading Adam Jones...if something like this happened:

- Trade AJ and some young arms not named Matusz (Does AJ, Arrieta, and Erbe get it done? Or do we need Tillman and Arrietta in the deal?).

- Sign Holliday (OF = Holliday, Pie, Markakis)

Lineup:

C - Matty W

1B - Adrian

2B - Brob

SS - ??

3B - Atkins

LF - Holliday

CF - Pie

RF - Nick

DH - Luke

That's a pretty nasty lineup, isn't it?

The rotation is solid, but unspectacular. But, we have arms like Matusz, Britton, Hobgood, etc... still on the way.

Can we use the halladay deal as a proxy? Toronto and san diego are in similar positions in needing a rebuild and reduction in payroll. Halladay and AGon are similar in stature. Knowing halladay is older, but pitching usually costs more than hitting.

So with that said, if Drabek, wallace and I can't remember 3rd piece is good enough for Halladay, especially with the window to extend. If I'm Andy I'd offer Tillman, Pie, Erbe and Snyder. While that may not compare to buchholz and elsbury, I would say its comparable to what the jays got for halladay. And before we judge our deal to a ellsbury and buchholz deal, maybe Boston isn't willing to make that deal. Like AM isn't willing to do jones and matusz.

So with that said, if Drabek, wallace and I can't remember 3rd piece is good enough for Halladay, especially with the window to extend. If I'm Andy I'd offer Tillman, Pie, Erbe and Snyder. While that may not compare to buchholz and elsbury, I would say its comparable to what the jays got for halladay. And before we judge our deal to a ellsbury and buchholz deal, maybe Boston isn't willing to make that deal. Like AM isn't willing to do jones and matusz.

I think jones and arrieta could be a starting point to get it done. I'm also curious if Matt Angle puts us in a better situation for dealing from our outfield

Where is everyone getting that Boston offered Buckholtz and Ellsbury? Here is what ESPN Insider says as of 8:25AM:

But by Wednesday afternoon, ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes tweets "Take a deep breath, Boston fans. Adrian Gonzalez won't be walking through the door anytime soon. Nothing going on on that front," which suggests that nothing is close.

Edes also tweets that the "Red Sox know what it would take to get Gonzalez, and they're not trading Buchholz and Ellsbury, baseball source tells me. SD asking a ton."

The Globe's Nick Cafardo wrote Sunday that Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who worked under Theo Epstein in Boston, is asking for Buchholz and pitching prospect Casey Kelly or outfielder Ryan Westmoreland. Boston, at least for the time being, has balked at including Kelly or Westmoreland.

Archived