Orioles after Adrian Gonzalez?

JTrea81

Personally, I think Britton may be the best pitcher in the O's organization right now, so I'd not want to lose him. Having ground ball pitchers like Bergesen and Britton in the AL East is going to be a huge advantage for the O's, particularly if we continue to gear towards high quality defensive players.

I don't particularly want to lose Britton either, but if we wait for him to replace Tillman, we won't compete until 2012 IMO.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more thing, where has it been written Gonzalez won't extend with the Orioles? In this day and age, I'd wager AGon would have a hard time saying no to a 6/100-110 million ext.

Boras clients generally do. I think the numbers I read in an article were that something like 88% or so change teams. And there aren't many examples of those folks signing extensions while arb-eligible.

Some of you folks are crazy. Jones AND Tillman for Agon? Tillman was a top seven prospect in all of MLB at mid-season and Jones an all-star.

My guess is AM tried to do this entire deal from among three or four of Pie, Arrieta, Snyder, Britton, Bell and Reimold plus a young reliever in the Hernandez/Mickolio mold. Maybe Tillman is in there, maybe not.

Pie compares with Ellsbury and Reimold/Arrieta compares with Bucholtz, IMO, and we can still offer more. Bell, Pie, Reimold, Arrieta and DH for Kouz and AGon.

Some of you folks are crazy. Jones AND Tillman for Agon? Tillman was a top seven prospect in all of MLB at mid-season and Jones an all-star.

My guess is AM tried to do this entire deal from among three or four of Pie, Arrieta, Snyder, Britton, Bell and Reimold plus a young reliever in the Hernandez/Mickolio mold. Maybe Tillman is in there, maybe not.

Pie compares with Ellsbury and Reimold/Arrieta compares with Bucholtz, IMO, and we can still offer more. Bell, Pie, Reimold, Arrieta and DH for Kouz and AGon.

Seriously? I don't see either matching up. Unless by "compares" you mean that you literally just compared them.

My car isn't worth less because I own two of them. Value is value. I'm not discounting Tillman and Jones because we have depth. We're clearly trading a certain number of years from both players for AG. To argue otherwise is simply incorrect.

Second, the odds of getting an extension with AG are very very slim. If you're requiring that, the conversation is likely over.

Yes - they are worth less to you than if you only had one car. If you only had one car, you would value it more than either of your cars if you had two.

Value is relative. Ask a millionaire if he values $100 the same way a poor college student does. Or ask a bum on the street if he values a hot meal the same way you or I do.

Of course the cash value of all of these things in a free market would be the same, but to each individual they have different values based on their particular needs. If I have two pairs of pants (but no boots) and you have two pairs of boots (but no pants), we're happy to trade one pair of pants for one pair of boots because we don't need the redundant items - but the 2nd pair of pants or boots have more value to us because we need them even though their "cash" value is the same as the pair we traded away.

Isn't this self evident?

Yes - they are worth less to you than if you only had one car. If you only had one car, you would value it more than if you had two.

Value is relative. Ask a millionaire if he values $100 the same way a poor college student does. Or ask a bum on the street if he values a hot meal the same way you or I do.

Of course the cash value of all of these things in a free market would be the same, but to each individual they have different values based on their particular needs. If I have two pairs of pants (but no boots) and you have two pairs of boots (but no pants), we're happy to trade one pair of pants for one pair of boots because we don't need them - but the 2nd pair of pants or boots have more value to us because we need them.

Isn't this self evident?

But why would I see something for diminished value simply because I have a replacement? The opportunity cost means you're taking a loss on it. You could swap those players for equal value elsewhere.

The problem you've supplied is that you're describing a bilateral monopoly. This is only a bilateral monopoly if you have tunnel vision.

And no, your examples are not self-evident. Clearly.

Boras clients generally do. I think the numbers I read in an article were that something like 88% or so change teams. And there aren't many examples of those folks signing extensions while arb-eligible.

Again, Boras is not AGon's agent.

How is saying Pie is comparable to Ellsbury not crazy? Pie may not even stick as a bench player when all is said and done. Ellsbury has 120 (!!) stolen bases over the past two seasons and is clearly a solid everyday major league starter with plenty of upside. The comparison isn't even apples and oranges, its apple cores and baskets of oranges.

My hope would be for not giving up any of Jones, Tillman, Matusz, Reimold, Britton, and Bergesen. I would think a deal of Arrieta, Snyder, Pie, Hernandez and Turner would get the deal done. Then hopefully having a period to sign him to an extension. It sure would be nice and easier to still have Johnson to include him in a possible deal for him.

Baltimore made a pretty good run at him at the winter meetings, I'm told

Doesn't "pretty good run" imply that the O's were actually in the neighborhood of completing a deal??? With all the signings/Holliday interest today, maybe AM was just figuring out SD's price for A-Gon at the Winter Meetings so that he could come back to the table after settling 3B and the bullpen.

I don't think anything's going to happen, but this is incredibly intriguing. I think Old Fan should start a new poll about AM. :laughlol:

Archived