LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

Again...how can we sign LaRoche (or Delgado) with the glut of players we have right now? I just don't see it happening unless we are planning on making a deal with Pie, Reimold, or Scott.

I'm not sure why you see it this way. Atkins replaces Mora, Delgado/LaRoche replaces Huff. How is there any more of a glut than we had last year? There's only a glut when Snyder and/or Bell are ready for the majors.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure why you see it this way. Atkins replaces Mora, Delgado/LaRoche replaces Huff. How is there any more of a glut than we had last year? There's only a glut when Snyder and/or Bell are ready for the majors.

That would mean that one of Reimold or Pie is on the bench. I would hope that our management would prefer to have either of those guys getting playing time over Delgado and/or LaRoche. Unless, of course, they decide to keep Scott on the bench, which would likely decrease his trade value even more.

That would mean that one of Reimold or Pie is on the bench. I would hope that our management would prefer to have either of those guys getting playing time over Delgado and/or LaRoche. Unless, of course, they decide to keep Scott on the bench, which would likely decrease his trade value even more.

Pie doesn't play against lefthanders. He probably only gets 420 at bats. Reimold and Jones both get around 500 at bats because of injuries. And yes, Scott probably gets squeezed a little when limited to 330 at bats at DH. However. I don't think that keeps the O's from signing another corner IF.

As I've pointed out in some other threads, there are approximately 2750 PA's available to the 3 OF spots and DH. Last year Markakis, Jones, Scott, Pie and Reimold totalled 2418 PA. In my opinion there is plenty of room for all five. If it means that Reimold or Pie sit some of the time, I don't think it's a big deal. I'd plan to allocate the PA roughtly:

Markakis 675

Jones 600

Scott 460

Reimold 460

Pie 460

Wieters 95 PA as DH

Injuries and performance would dictate just how much deviation there is from these numbers, but in any event each player would get at least 400 PA.

There is more of a glut because Reimold wasn't on the team last April. Assuming no major injuries you can bet that someone is on the bench if LaRoche is signed. Most likely it is Pie if Luke Scott is still on the team. You guys (not you specifically) can make up all of the charts with AB's nicely divided, all you want. If our starting players are healthy, signing a 1B either relegates Pie to the bench or necesitates the trading of Luke Scott.

LOL, I just did that in another thread. I guess it is me specifically. It does not bother me if one or more of Reimold, Pie and Scott doesn't play all of the time.

Adam LaRoche, 1B (3.5): LaRoche supposedly turned down a two-year, $17 million offer from the Giants this past week, and maybe it is a sign that he would rather spend the rest of his time hunting deer on his Kansas ranch. The Mariners had interest until trading with the Red Sox for Casey Kotchman. That leaves the Orioles as LaRoche’s most likely landing spot.

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9925#commentMessage

This is probably just a case of a guy who doesn't explicitly cover the O's looking for a team without a first baseman to round out a paragraph/article, but has anyone seen anything similar? We've had interest in him before.

If LaRoche wants more than 2/17, he's definitely not a fit here, but for the right terms.....?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9925#commentMessage

This is probably just a case of a guy who doesn't explicitly cover the O's looking for a team without a first baseman to round out a paragraph/article, but has anyone seen anything similar? We've had interest in him before.

If LaRoche wants more than 2/17, he's definitely not a fit here, but for the right terms.....?

Why on earth would he turn that offer down? That is, of course, if he truly wants to play baseball.

LaRoche has a good swing for Camden Yards. That being said, he is looking to get paid for his Brave's hotstreak & probably won't get it.

I'd say a 7.5 million one year deal with a 10 million club option for 2011 would be reasonable at this point, and he'd probably sign for less if the Mets sign Delgado.

Andy MacPhail knows that he doesn't have to rush at all.

I think us Orioles fans just aren't used to the concept of having talented depth sitting on the bench. We've always had to accept the fact that if one of our regular starters goes down that the replacement has to be a AAAA journeyman type or worse replacement.

The inevitable injury will happen, and for the first time in a while, we'll be prepared.

Offer him 1 year, $9 million with a club option for a second year and a $1 million buyout, and be done with it.

If we want him to sign, we have to offer him something that looks better along some dimension than the deal he turned down.

If we don't sign him or Delgado, then 1B/3b is going to be a black hole of offensive suckitude in 2010.

Archived