LaRoche ??

TonySoprano

For the right price LaRoche seems to be more of an appealing idea every day. Atkins really has to take over third, IMO. I have sincere doubts about his bat at first base.

I'm not sure that LaRoche becomes more appealing--he is what he is--but his price should be dropping, and I like that part.

Really, he's running out of options.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Offer him 1 year, $9 million with a club option for a second year and a $1 million buyout, and be done with it.

If we want him to sign, we have to offer him something that looks better along some dimension than the deal he turned down.

If we don't sign him or Delgado, then 1B/3b is going to be a black hole of offensive suckitude in 2010.

I think LaRoche will have to take less than that. The demand is less than the supply. There's sitll Branyan and Delgado and maybe more out there, and SF was satisfied to pay 3 mil to fix their hole at 1B. The market has um... percolated. And LaRoche is a good all-around player - has a lifetime 116 OPS+ and finished with a 152 OPS+ in 242 plate appearances with Atlanta. And I know Braves fans consider him to be a very good defensive player.

If Adam freaking LaRoche thinks he's going to get a better offer than 2/17, he's taking lessons in stupid.

I wonder if he's just not interested in being on the west coast? Or maybe that offer is a bunch of BS? I take any numbers I hear in the media with a grain of salt.

I wonder if he's just not interested in being on the west coast? Or maybe that offer is a bunch of BS? I take any numbers I hear in the media with a grain of salt.

Good points it could be the 2/17 is not the offer that was made. I think he would be a nice fit for the O's if they could get him in on a two year deal. Also I believe he was asking for a three year deal at the onset of free agency so that could be the hold up too.

Didn't we already suffer through Aubrey Huff Part I?

I don't understand the LaRoche-Huff comparison. Huff's season numbers have always fluctuated, with deep lows and very nice peaks, while LaRoche has been far more consistent--similar highs to Huff but none of the really grim lows. Look at his OPS the past four seasons: .915, .803, .841, .845. That's three out of four seasons when he was at least a median 1Bman, if not better. And he has been durable.

Also, while Huff was never a favorite of mine, I don't think many O's fans felt that they were suffering through 2008 with him. His final card with the O's shows one mediocre season, one great season, and awful half-season. You can highlight whatever parts you want to see.

With Huff being so inconsistent, I can understand not being able to get a handle on him. But there's no excuse for not being able to see LaRoche for what he is: a player who is a near-lock to give somebody 20-plus HRs, 85-ish RBI, and about 2 or 3 WAR. For a solid upgrade, on a one-year contract, it would be hard to find a better choice.

If its for a 1-year deal I'd be thrilled to have him. Would even include an option in case we want him around for 1B or DH in 2011. But wouldn't guarantee the 2nd year.

Annual salary is a secondary concern to me, but I'd say something around $6-8M base seems fair given his lack of other options.

LaRoche will never sign a one-year contract. Maybe two and an option, but not only one.
Then I'd rather have Scott or Delgado play 1st.

He's not good enough to commit to beyond a year. We can find someone similar to him next offseason if we really need him beyond this year.

And I think you are overstating how likely he is to get a multi-year offer. Who's gonna give it to him at this point?

Archived