#1 Alabama vs #2 Texas

Birds of B'more

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats from an Auburn fan.

I've never seen a QB look that bad in the first half, but then he had a solid game in the 2nd half. It's a shame that McCoy got hurt, I feel a little deprived as a fan of college football. Either way, Alabama earned it.

Much thanks my friend.

From what I saw, Gilbert is going to turn out to be a very good QB. It's going to be a good thing for Texas that he got this experience.

Congrats from an Auburn fan.

Good for you. I have ties to GT, but I want GA to win when they're not playing GT. In fact, I want GA to be undefeated and #1 in the nation, right before they play GT, then I want the GT game to change that. When I moved to AL, it appeared to me that Auburn/Alabama people were crazy, like they wanted the other team to win exactly never.

I've never seen a QB look that bad in the first half, but then he had a solid game in the 2nd half. It's a shame that McCoy got hurt, I feel a little deprived as a fan of college football. Either way, Alabama earned it.

The first several minutes were bad, but that happens a lot in bowl games when they haven't played in a month and then come out juiced on adrenaline. It was just a matter of the Bama-D holding down the fort until the Bama-O could get their act together.

As for McCoy, it's not clear to me why I can't stand the guy, he's never done anything to me, but I can't stand him anyway. I know exactly why I can't stand Mack Brown, but as a rule I've got nothing against Texas. So, why was I glad when McCoy went out of the game? Beats me. Now, I would never want anybody to have an injury that threatens their health or their career. But an injury that's just bad enough to keep him from playing? Perfect! On the other hand, while he took a stout hit on the shoulder, it's not like the guy creamed him. Is their such a thing as a glass shoulder? If there is, he might have one. I expect NFL guys will be aiming for it...

Good for you. I have ties to GT, but I want GA to win when they're not playing GT. In fact, I want GA to be undefeated and #1 in the nation, right before they play GT, then I want the GT game to change that. When I moved to AL, it appeared to me that Auburn/Alabama people were crazy, like they wanted the other team to win exactly never.

Oh, don't hold me in too high of regard, b/c I was cheering for Texas big time. (Although I wasn't too disappointed b/c alot of my family are Bama fans). My two favorite football teams are Auburn and whomever is playing Alabama. That said, I'm not going to try to take anything away from Bama as they had a great season and deserve to be national champs.

I will say, though, that scenario of beating your rival when they are unbeaten and going for the NC is pretty sweet. I remember in 1989 (9 years old) Auburn beating unbeaten Alabama on Bama's first trip to Auburn ever. That almost happened this year, but it just wouldn't have been the same as Bama would still have had a chance to lose in the SEC championship game.

Are you from Alabama? And you wanted Texas to win? Jeez...

Yep, from Bama. I won't go into detail, but my reasoning for being against Alabama can be heard every day on the Paul Finebaum Show. If you're living in Bama you should know what I'm talking about. It's nothing personal against most of the fans or players at the school, it's just the way it is. Would you root for the MFY's ever?

So, it appears that my impression was correct: Alabama/Auburn people *are* crazy ;-)

Like I said before, I want GT to beat GA, but I want GA to win the rest of the time. There's ample reason to dislike GA. Their players get to take lame classes, their alumni dominate the legislature, and it used to be that they'd cut GT funding whenever Bobby Dodd beat up on the Bulldogs. But that's different than wanting somebody from outside to beat them. I always want GA to thump FL.

So, it appears that my impression was correct: Alabama/Auburn people *are* crazy ;-)

Like I said before, I want GT to beat GA, but I want GA to win the rest of the time. There's ample reason to dislike GA. Their players get to take lame classes, their alumni dominate the legislature, and it used to be that they'd cut GT funding whenever Bobby Dodd beat up on the Bulldogs. But that's different than wanting somebody from outside to beat them. I always want GA to thump FL.

Where are you from originally Shack? I assume not Alabama, b/c that mindset is the norm there. Anyway, I don't think it's "crazy" especially when you go to school and all your Bama friends are talking trash about their win (and vice versa). It might be different if there was another team there that everyone could rally around (like a pro team), but that's all we got down there.:D

Also, I've always heard that the craziness is a little different in south Alabama than the north (where I'm from). They've got beaches and other things to distract from the 24/7/365 insanity that is college football.

Where are you from originally Shack?

One block north of where Charles St goes over the Beltway...

I grew up on the Colts. College football basically didn't even exist for me, except on New Years Day. There were only 10 or so bowls, and only 4 of them mattered, there wasn't 40 of them, so they meant more. Then I moved to GA, and a few years later the Colts got stolen, and the combination made me end up loving college football and not caring much about the NFL.

Archived