He's back! Tejada signs 1-yr deal.

jamessemaj

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have stated my displeasure for AM's offseason pretty loud on here, but signing Miggy is a very good move IMO. I think we are without a doubt a much better team now that Miggy is coming back. And, I also think that Miggy will be a very good defensive third baseman. He started to slip as a shortstop because his range has been diminishing, but his hands are excellent. And the real topper for me is his arm. Miggy has an absolute rocket, and that will play very well at third.

Now, I think that AM has supplied DT with the players he needs to see a significant improvement in the W-L collumn. I now really like our lineup and we will no longer get eaten up by LH pitching.

1) Roberts-2B

2) Markakis-RF

3) Reimold- LF

4) Wieters- C

5) Tejada- 3B

6) Scott- DH

7) Jones- CF

8) Atkins- 1B

9) Izzy- SS

People keep saying this, but he has played third before, just not in MLB. He played third for the Dominican team in the WBC and I'm pretty sure he played it in winter league.

Besides, he played one game in A+ ball back in '96. 5 total chance...one error. What more do you want?:D Welcome back Miggy.

Welcome back Miggy. A fine signing in my view.

Agreed. I like the signing given what was available.

The Atkins signing still confuses me though. Not sure where Wiggington and Luke Scott fit into all this either.

Now go get Bedard or another starter for insurance and Hendrickson and another bullpen arm.

Andy says the league is shifting to defense ...and then he signs a starting 3b that has never played 3b before :eek::confused:

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but the O's should pass on signing Tejada to get Crede because of a philosophical statement? Too rigid to think he has to live and die by a belief system. Tejada is, to me, the better of the two signings. But time will tell. And it's not like he's incompetent, either.

I'm sure he'll learn to play 3B well enough not to blow a bunch of games.

I have stated my displeasure for AM's offseason pretty loud on here, but signing Miggy is a very good move IMO. I think we are without a doubt a much better team now that Miggy is coming back. And, I also think that Miggy will be a very good defensive third baseman. He started to slip as a shortstop because his range has been diminishing, but his hands are excellent. And the real topper for me is his arm. Miggy has an absolute rocket, and that will play very well at third.

Now, I think that AM has supplied DT with the players he needs to see a significant improvement in the W-L collumn. I now really like our lineup and we will no longer get eaten up by LH pitching.

1) Roberts-2B

2) Markakis-RF

3) Reimold- LF

4) Wieters- C

5) Tejada- 3B

6) Scott- DH

7) Jones- CF

8) Atkins- 1B

9) Izzy- SS

Personally I wouldnt be at all surprised tp see Tejada start the season batting 4th.

This team actually has the option of carrying a three man bench because Miggy can backup at SS and Wiggy can come in at 3b. Alternatively, Turner may get an opportunity to replace Andino because Tejada gives DT a reasonably good option at SS.

I think the only reason Andino made the team last year was because the O's had no other reasonable option at SS. By all accounts, Miggy can still play an effective SS (not above average, maybe not even average, but reasonable as a backup) and I'd much rather have a quality bat on the bench than Andino who gives us nothing outside of his glove backing up short.

Of course, I am not against having another bat on the bench. I just wonder who he is going to hit for? Izturis will need to be pinch hit for, but after that I don't see anyone else that a pinch hitter will be used for. The O's will have Wiggy, Scott or Pie on the bench to pinch hit for Izturis.

Late in a game that Izturis has been pinch hit for I who rather have Andino at SS then Miggy.

I am fine with Miggy starting games at SS to give Izturis a break or when Izturis is injured. That makes sense. But if Izturis is not available (he is not durable and goes on the DL roughly once a seaon) then the O's will need a backup at SS. I can see Andino getting more playing time then Montanez or Aubrey as the 25th man.

I agree with this. If Crede were more reliable he'd have been the better signing. Of course, then he likely would have already signed with someone.

Now Crede will sign elsewhere, play 120-140 games and put up better numbers than Tejada. :eektf: (Yes, this was sarcasm.)

I'm glad we agree. I know you don't love the signing, but I will say that I don't think stability should be under-rated. (Not that you're under-rating it.) The fact that in the past few years we've trotted out sub-replacement level players at a number of positions has countered the fact that we had good young talent. Finding a 3B with a .750 OPS who can play 150 games is important for creating a foundation that our true talent (the young players) can build upon.

I'm curious about the Bedard thing - because that's a bit different, but equally interesting. He's not necessary stability, like say Tejada, but rather the kind of guy who puts a good young rotation over the top if he's recovered. Big if.

It would be so wonderful if he was brought on to play SS, forcing Izzy to the bench.

THis does mean no Andino, which is nice.

Definitely on the fence for this move...I like the signing in and of itself but the way Pie will be used now makes me like the move a lot less.

I am hoping for average defense and a 350ish OBP from MIggy.

I agree about Pie, but I didn't sound like he was going to get much playing time regardless since DT wants Reimold in left consistently.

It's a decent move that brings more versatility to the table which is nice.

Besides, he played one game in A+ ball back in '96. 5 total chance...one error. What more do you want?:D Welcome back Miggy.

I didn't say he had extensive experience there. People get their panties in a bunch when somebody misquotes a player's OPS+ by two points, but some total (though not earthshaking) inaccuracies can slide.

If nothing else, I would think that Miggy's recent experience at 3B in the WBC would give him an idea of what he needs to work on between now and opening day. It's better than nothing.

Andy says the league is shifting to defense ...and then he signs a starting 3b that has never played 3b before :eek::confused:

I don't think he was valuing Miggi's bat over Crede's D. I think he was valuing Miggi's abilty to get out of bed every morning and be able to actually take the field. By that criteria, I think he got the only available guy.

While I don't really know, I bet this "100 game adjustment period" is mostly about feeling comfortable playing over there. I bet Miggi will kick a few at first, but I bet he also makes some great plays too. Plus, of the ones he boots, I bet some of them will be ones he knocks down without catching it, but then picks it up and throws the guy out by a hair. We're gonna find ourselves saying "Saved by the gun!!!"

I don't understand anyone's fascination with Crede - he's Tony Batista with less power. A career OBP of .304 is not what we need.

Well if you only considered the offensive numbers of the guy your SN is dedicated to, you'd probably have a lack of understanding of why he's a HOF'er.

So to answer your question, defense is why some like him.

I didn't say he had extensive experience there. People get their panties in a bunch when somebody misquotes a player's OPS+ by two points, but some total (though not earthshaking) inaccuracies can slide.

If nothing else, I would think that Miggy's recent experience at 3B in the WBC would give him an idea of what he needs to work on between now and opening day. It's better than nothing.

At this point in his career, a move to third is the most logical step for Miggy. At 36, he will not be anybody's everyday SS. He should be able to adjust. The ball comes off the bat a liitle different down the line with a split second last reaction time. A lost step is not as obvious as long as he maintains good hands and a willing chest. Since the ball gets there a little faster, you do have the extra time to scramble and still make the throw.

Archived