He's back! Tejada signs 1-yr deal.

jamessemaj

I'm not saying it will definitely work. I think it will, and have long thought that Tejada had the skill set to make a decent 3B. But I'm curious about why we'd think someone who was at least a legitimate MLB SS would be unable to play 3B. I mean, he's certainly got the arm.

He can do it, but look at how long it took Mora and Ripken to get adjusted.

He's likely to be a defensive liablity for half a season or more. And he's gone after this year.

Bell is likely a better defender at the position than Tejada will be. If you are going to put a stopgap there, they should be better than what Bell would be if he were to start on Opening Day.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least now with Miguel Tejada back the role players aren't asked to do more than just that. There may indeed be a transitional time for Tejada though I suspect the man would like to continue being paid well and wants to continue playing a few more years. My guess is that whatever troubles he has, he will work them out quick.

B. Roberts (2B)

M. Tejada (3B)

N. Markakis (RF)

A. Jones (CF)

M. Weiters ©

N. Reimold (LF)

L. Scott (DH)

G. Atkins (1B)

C. Izturis (SS)

My problem with my own suggestion here is Jones batting 4th. If he is hitting for good average and not trying to crush the ball he's a good bet there. I put Markakis third because he has his contract and they want to see him put up nasty RBI totals. Weiters is only going to become that star catcher we've all dreamed of him becoming if he is in a position to do it. I wonder when he is up for arbitration? Could the team hijack his statistics somewhat by having him bat lower? Having Tejada back with his high average history makes me think he is going to be at the plate early. I don't know that his declining power is half as important as him having another high average season at the plate.

It seems preposterous that an A.L. East team would bat their 1B in the 8th spot. However I can't see them batting him higher than 6th all season. They could but I just don't think they will. I would guess by mid June Felix Pie isn't as much a worry as he is now. He's never been an everyday player and only seems to give glimpses of promise. If he is solid as the fourth outfielder then it's fine. When he proves he is an everyday player then we can tackle that.

Now should Reimold have injury troubles and Pie is very ordinary (as I suspect) then Luke Scott might get his wish and play some LF. Right now it looks like he isn't going to see much if any time at 1B. I really think Atkins is the odd man out here. If the experiment works out and Atkins is for real...We already know Brandon Snyder is inching his way closer to Baltimore... We really might have a solid trade chip at the deadline.

It's like an automatic response with you, right? "Hmmmm...negative...negative...what can I find to whine about?"

eeyore.jpg

How is that response negative?

I'm just saying I hope Jones gets to keep his #10 and that Tejada could take #6 to honor his friend Mora.

Ironically enough if Tejada's 2009 BABIP comes back to something close to his career BABIP and if his ISO-D (OBP-BA) is something close to his 2009 level, then Tejada's OBP may not be much higher than .304.

The problem with this is that it's not very likely: since leaving Oakland in 2004, he hasn't had a BABIP below .300. And it ranged from the low .300s to .350 as an Oriole. His .320 BABIP is pretty much in keeping with his recent historical performance, and his career BABIP is pretty clearly weighed down by abysmal BABIPs from early in his career.

I expect him to maintain his contact skills, walk too little, and show sub-B-Rob like power. I'll be surprised if he's below .750 and surprised if he's above .810 OPS.

Bingo.

So post AS break we might see some defensive improvement, but when you have a young staff, that defense at the hot corner is important.

Hopefully he's got enough left in his bat to make up for that.

I think Michael Young is the floor for Tejada's conversion. He was -10 at UZR last year. If Tejada is -10, but puts up a .775 OPS, then he'll be worth his contract.

Peralta was -6 in UZR/150 last year, put up a .690 OPS and was still worth over $5m or so.

Why....why....why...does everyone ASSUME the Tejada can handle playing 3B, especially when HE HAS NEVER PLAYED THERE BEFORE? !!!

And also, I think it' s a poor assumption that he'll be able to go back and forth between SS and 3B like it's nothing.

Cal Freaking Ripken himself was apprehensive about going to SS in an exhibition (All Star game) for one inning - admitting that he didn't want to 'get killed out there'.

I think Michael Young is the floor for Tejada's conversion. He was -10 at UZR last year. If Tejada is -10, but puts up a .775 OPS, then he'll be worth his contract.

Peralta was -6 in UZR/150 last year, put up a .690 OPS and was still worth over $5m or so.

I don't think his contract will be a problem as he will likely earn it, but I'm more worried about a groundball pitcher like Bergesen who will be affected by the lack of a solid defensive option at 3B.

And also, I think it' s a poor assumption that he'll be able to go back and forth between SS and 3B like it's nothing.

Cal Freaking Ripken himself was apprehensive about going to SS in an exhibition (All Star game) for one inning - admitting that he didn't want to 'get killed out there'.

We shouldn't assume it. But we keep using Ripken as a some kind of comparison and I don't think it's apt. Ripken was tall, and relatively stiff, who maintained defensive excellence with great hands, a strong arm, and superior positioning. Tejada is 5'10, and a more fluid athlete, even if he doesn't have the range he once (might have) had.

I don't think his contract will be a problem as he will likely earn it, but I'm more worried about a groundball pitcher like Bergesen who will be affected by the lack of a solid defensive option at 3B.

There is a risk that he'll struggle. But even if he does, I don't think he struggles to be anything more than a below-average 3B. I.e., Atkins.

Archived