He's back! Tejada signs 1-yr deal.

jamessemaj

MacPhail said that he traded Miggi after asking him to move to third. He also said that he has been the all star shortstop in the National League ever since so Miguel was probably right at the time.

Great emphasis being placed on base running this year. It is rolling downhill. Andy has given Dave his directive regarding fixing the situation.

T-bone and Samuel will be holding base running and situational drills on the back fields at all spring training practices.

Attention will be paid to situations when Brian Roberts is on second with a trailing runner, the league has figured out that throwing behind his steal is the correct play in that situation. It was brought up ad nauseum.

Dave really looked troubled every time. (That the base running had been so horrid. An eight year old brought it to Andy MacPhail's attention that we were the fifth worst team in baseball on making outs on base.)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacPhail said that he traded Miggi after asking him to move to third. He also said that he has been the all star shortstop in the National League ever since so Miguel was probably right at the time.

Great emphasis being placed on base running this year. It is rolling downhill. Andy has given Dave his directive regarding fixing the situation.

T-bone and Samuel will be holding base running and situational drills on the back fields at all spring training practices.

Attention will be paid to situations when Brian Roberts is on second with a trailing runner, the league has figured out that throwing behind his steal is the correct play in that situation. It was brought up ad nauseum.

Dave really looked troubled every time.

Who's giving Samuel drills on holding baserunners?

:wedge:

How is this season not about anything but player development?

Wieters, Reimold, Jones, Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz and to a lesser extent, Pie. Not to mention what's going on in our minor leagues with Arrieta, Bell and Snyder and seeing if they can see time in Baltimore in 2010.

Agree 100% with this assessment. But there are some who, for whatever convoluted reasons, believe the Orioles should spend...even over-spend...for over-hyped FA's and/or trade some of our young but untested players for a veteran "superstar" or two. Thankfully, MacPhail is much, MUCH smarter than that. He realizes that 2010 is still a rebuilding and development year and that the team is not ready to make those kind of moves....yet.

And while I'm not sold that Tejada is the short-term answer at 3B, I can accept the logic behind the signing.

Dave really looked troubled every time.

Attention, attention must finally be paid!

If the league always throws behind BRob, then can't we just not send the trailing runner, and get a free stolen base for BRob every time?

What does the comment about Dave mean? Troubled every time what?

Attention, attention must finally be paid!

If the league always throws behind BRob, then can't we just not send the trailing runner, and get a free stolen base for BRob every time?

What does the comment about Dave mean? Troubled every time what?

That the base running had been so horrid. An eight year old brought it to Andy MacPhail's attention that we were the fifth worst team in baseball on making outs on base.

I don't think so. I don't see how you can say that that "best describes it". What we're doing is letting the kids take over, so that (a) they can get better, and (b) AM can see what's what, then adapt as necessary, with the goal being to be way better in 2011. Along the way, we're trying to get noticeably better at getting W's than we were last year. That's the plan, not trying to be the 2008 Rays in 2010. If it happens, then it's a fortuitous unplanned event, but it's not the goal. The goal is to perform better this year while setting the stage for next year.

Not sure this is game theory, but let's not worry about that...

I think the bolded parts are wrong, and not by just a little. The value range among the 25 roster spots is way, way bigger than that. Immensely bigger.

I also don't think you can prove anything with this. You can manipulate numbers you made up to come up with answer you want, but I don't think it proves anything about whether AM should have signed Miggi or Crede.

Building on this point, wouldn't we need to allow for negative value if Crede goes down with a major injury forcing the O's to use a stopgap at 3b instead of an every day player? If we're assigning potential values to a player like Crede, I think we have to give him a significant negative range because of the injury factor.

The concept of what Crede is worth vs. what Tejada is worth would seem to be a highly subjective discussion. I can make a case that Crede is a -2 to 5 while Tejada is a 2 to 4 (based on Crede's injury history and the intangibles that Miggy brings to a clubhouse that includes a lot of people that really like him) and argue that Miggy should provide equal or better value than Crede in 90% of the liklely outcomes.

And my analysis would be no more objective or accurate than anyone else's would be.

That the base running had been so horrid. An eight year old brought it to Andy MacPhail's attention that we were the fifth worst team in baseball on making outs on base.

And the second worst in all of baseball as far as production on the bases (only KC was worse) according to this year's study in the James Book. They estimated that BAL was -57 bases against the average, or almost 15 runs (1.5 wins) based solely on the combo of basestealing/baserunning.

Interesting aside, only the Yankees (344) had more opportunities to go 1st-to-3rd than Baltimore (338). BAL executed a good number of 1-3, 2-H and 1-H compared to the league, but took huge hits for making outs (much better to hold up than to try and stretch and get thrown out). Better decisions could help add as much as a win, cumulatively, if you buy into the study. I tend to buy-in, as it agrees with the narrative of certain teams over-performing their pythag by maximizing production in the little things (the phillies and angels, for example, added about 2.5 wins last year with good baserunning -- 2 best in the game).

Archived