Sun: 21 roster spots are set going into Spring Training

JTrea81

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean the guy who had a -0.3 WAR last year? See how that works?

Nomar isn't as dreadful with the bat.

And he can actually still somewhat play SS, having a -4.8 UZR when he played there for the Dodgers in 2008.

The A's tried him at 1B which hurt his value due to his poor fielding there.

Andino's poor value comes from his horrible bat.

Defense doesn't help you when you are at the plate with runners on base.

For whatever reason I can't get that super ignore list thing to work. I've adapted my arguing style though - short sentences and inarguable facts that completely contradict things he says. He still doesn't acknowledge me, but at least he can't deflect in the same way.

This is where MonkeyListed vacates the thread, comes back later after it's died down or the subject has changed and just totally glosses over all the valid points made by several other astute posters.

It's astounding, really.

I was just thinking how I hate being at work without the Monkey List.

Blake Davis: 26 years old, .687 MiL OPS

Robert Andino: 25 years old, .678 MiL OPS

You're right, what a crime. Free Blake Davis!

Well Moore should get the spot over all current NRIs.

The point is there are better alternatives to Andino, both external and internal.

Scott Moore has played 42 games at shortstop in the minors. He has a fielding percentage of .884.

It seems to me that this should end any discussion of Moore as a utility shortstop, at least until he's proven in the minors that he's improved his defense. I'm confused why anyone would even consider him in this role - if we want a weak defender with a good bat, we already have Wigginton. It'd be nice to have a backup who can hit better than Andino, but Andino plays very good defense and has good speed. If we pinch hit for Izturis late in a game, it means the game is close, and so defense is more important, since he will be playing defense, but he won't hit unless we go into extra innings. And then we can pinch hit again, and send in Wigginton, though only as a last resort. Note that Andino had only two at bats in extra innings in all of last year. In "Late innings of close games," he had only 15 at bats, and got 4 hits. (Side note - if Izturis were injured and out for the season - say, one or two months or more - I'm guessing Tejada would take over there, not Andino.)

-Larrytt

Archived