BJs draft for 2010

Sports Guy

Toronto now has 10 of the first 126 picks in the draft this year.

Amazing....Between the deals they made this offseason and this upcoming draft, plus what they are already had coming into the offseason, their rebuild is going to get moving quickly.

What numbers are their picks? And how much are they willing to spend? (I realize you don't know the answer to the second question, but it's important.)

I hope they draft Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl, Larry Bigbie, Keith Reed, Josh Cenate, and Scott Rice.

7 of the top 50 picks in 1999 and the only one that worked out was #50 (Brian Roberts). Of course we also got Bedard in the 6th round of that draft but still, what a piss-poor showing by DeMacio.

I hope they draft Mike Paradis, Richard Stahl, Larry Bigbie, Keith Reed, Josh Cenate, and Scott Rice.

7 of the top 50 picks in 1999 and the only one that worked out was #50 (Brian Roberts). Of course we also got Bedard in the 6th round of that draft but still, what a piss-poor showing by DeMacio.

Had he been able to stay healthy, I think Bigbie would have been a solid ML player. Shame he couldn't stay healthy.

But you are right...We have to hope the BJs draft poorly here...If not, they could be in great shape within 3 years.

Well three of those picks are compensation because they couldn't manage to sign picks from last year in the 1st supp, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. Granted it's a new regime up there with Ricciardi getting fired, but if they don't sign those three picks this year they get nothing. That's picks 38,69,113. Now it doesn't mean they can't get talent with those picks but you have to think they'll take easy signs with them.

One thing to consider is that DeMacio was under a pretty tight budget and couldn't just draft who has wanted to with those drafts. Cenate, Rice, Reed, and really Bigbie were all signed because they would either sign for slot or below.

Also, the 1999 draft was a poor one overall for most teams, especially those teams drafting from the Orioles selection (#13) on. Alex Rios was the only 1st round draft pick after that point to make an impact in the major leagues and Brian Roberts was the only "sandwich" selections to become an impact player. So if you look at from that perspective, DeMacio actually had one of the two "hits" after the 12th pick in the draft. When you add in the Erik Bedard draft pick in the 6th round and the Willie Harris draft pick in the 24th round, and DeMacio's first draft really wasn't that bad.

The Blue Jays have a lot of picks, but several are to make up for not signing early picks in 2009. The BJs should expect a strong haul from this draft based on their picks.

I'm comfortable in saying that if we spend another $9M-$10M on the US draft including 3 $1M signings besides our first round pick and multiple $250+k guys of the Berry variety, the net effect of the 09 and 10 drafts will be that the Os will have emerged with more talent overall - by a comfortable margin. Now, if the BJs spent huge $ on all of these early picks, perhaps that could change, just as the margin would grow wider if the BJs had to take some below slot talent because of the large number of picks.

My thoughts exactly. And hope they don't draft like the Sox in 2005 (Ellsbury and Hansen in the first round; and Buchholtz, Lowrie and Bowden in the supplemental first round).

The Blue Jays have a lot of picks, but several are to make up for not signing early picks in 2009. The BJs should expect a strong haul from this draft based on their picks.

I'm comfortable in saying that if we spend another $9M-$10M on the US draft including 3 $1M signings besides our first round pick and multiple $250+k guys of the Berry variety, the net effect of the 09 and 10 drafts will be that the Os will have emerged with more talent overall - by a comfortable margin. Now, if the BJs spent huge $ on all of these early picks, perhaps that could change, just as the margin would grow wider if the BJs had to take some below slot talent because of the large number of picks.

I think the BJs will take at least two signability picks that correspond to the supplement picks from not signing their picks last year. The BJs have no negotiating strength with those picks.

I totally agree. He could have thrown darts at random players and probably done better than that!:eek: So much for scouting!:(:rolleyes:

Edit: I now read Tony's post explaining they were signibility picks so I guess that does explain it at least.

Archived