ACC Quarterfinal Matchup

Who would you rather play in the ACC Quarterfinals?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather play in the ACC Quarterfinals?

• #7 Georgia Tech
    • #10 North Carolina

Don't be so sure.

As you know, the Terps travel well. Also, when Duke or Carolina is playing in the final, fans of the other (and any other fans in the arena) root VERY hard against Duke/Carolina. When MD beat Duke in Greensboro in the '04 Final, I'd say the crowd was about 50-50.

Yea..Duke has the advantage because they are the better team not because the game is an hour away from their campus.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea..Duke has the advantage because they are the better team not because the game is an hour away from their campus.

Yeah, people tend to make too much of the tournament being in Greensboro thing. Unless you are one of the teams that sends NO fans (BC, Miami, usually FSU but hopefully they bother showing up this year), you aren't at much of a disadvantage.

How did Maryland do when the tournament was in DC? Yeah, they lost to Clemson in the first round.

I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland won the ACC Tournament this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Georgia Tech in the quarterfinals. They are that kind of team for me.

Definitely agree with the bolded part. Maryland has had a very nice run, but it's involved a lot of close, dramatic games over a short timespan. I am a bit worried about the team not having much left come tournament time. I'm on the fence when it comes to the ACC tourny..it'd be nice to make a run and possibly improve seeding for the NCAA tournament, but I don't think a little bit of time to rest would necessarily be a bad thing either.

They will have had 6 days between games when they take the court on Friday. If they lose that game, they will have another 6 or 7 days off before they play again. I'd almost be more concerned about rust than rest.

Call me crazy, but I took GT. If Carolina has anything left, they're going to be playing angry. They know how horrible they have been this year. I'd rather play a good team, then an angry and desperate one.

Lol Georgia Tech isn't desperate? They have to beat Maryland to make it into the tourney. My god do you even follow college basketball?

I would rather play GT, but my reasons are completely selfish and non-basketball related. When Carolina loses, their fans will be more willing to sell their tickets. Secondly, I have a friend who is a Carolina grad, and he has given me great seats in the past when Carolina has lost. I was sitting mid-court, 7 rows from the floor in 2004 when MD won it. But if Carolina is still playing, he will keep his tickets. So I want Carolina to lose the first night.

From a basketball perspective, Carolina becomes dangerous if they win on Thursday. They will have a lot of fans there, and that will help them. And even though they have not done well in the ACC tournament recently, I still think if they got a little confidence, they would be tougher to beat. I think GT is going in with the mindset of win one and get to the NCAA tournament. So they could have more a of a letdown after winning on Thursday.

Archived