Pie limps off field

Tony-OH

What do you mean by toughen up? Avoid getting hit by pitches? Not letting Trembley take him out of games? Not pulling hamstrings because he is running all out? Pie seems to me to be a guy who wants to play all the time. I don't see how he has any control over these kinds of injuries. And how long he is out, is the medical people's call not his. I think this is just another example of the steriotyping I was talking about.

http://orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=6845567&topic_id=players&query=type%3Djson%26player_id%3D429712%26start%3D0%26src%3Dvpp%26sort%3Ddesc%26sort_type%3Dcustom%26hitsPerPage%3D60&c_id=bal

You mean this hamstring pull? The one where he acted like he lost his leg? Some people just look like they can't handle pain well. Mora was one of them and he was tough guy.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=6845567&topic_id=players&query=type%3Djson%26player_id%3D429712%26start%3D0%26src%3Dvpp%26sort%3Ddesc%26sort_type%3Dcustom%26hitsPerPage%3D60&c_id=bal

You mean this hamstring pull? The one where he acted like he lost his leg? Some people just look like they can't handle pain well. Mora was one of them and he was tough guy.

So your problem is how he reacts to pain? So what. What matters is, does it keep him out of the game longer than it needs to? Do you have any evidence of that? People didn't like Mora because he always had a sour expression on his face and they would read all kinds of baloney into this. People have issues with Pie because he wears his emotions on his sleeve and they read all kinds of baloney into that. What matters to me is how well he plays, and IMO he has been one of the better stories in an otherwise dismal ST.

What do you mean by toughen up? Avoid getting hit by pitches? Not letting Trembley take him out of games? Not pulling hamstrings because he is running all out? Pie seems to me to be a guy who wants to play all the time. I don't see how he has any control over these kinds of injuries. And how long he is out, is the medical people's call not his. I think this is just another example of the steriotyping I was talking about.

I am not trying to bash Felix but his reactions to bumps and bruises that occur during a game to me seem over dramatic. I disagree slightly because I think a players demeanor influence the medical staff's oppinion on when someone plays. This type of injury IMO is more than likely going to be Pie's call as to when he returns. I do not think playing with this type of injury can do further damage.

I am a fan of Felix and hope he harnesses his considerable talents and becomes a star for the Orioles. JMO, but to do that I think he has to play through some of the bumps and bruises.

So your problem is how he reacts to pain? So what. What matters is, does it keep him out of the game longer than it needs to? Do you have any evidence of that? People didn't like Mora because he always had a sour expression on his face and they would read all kinds of baloney into this. People have issues with Pie because he wears his emotions on his sleeve and they read all kinds of baloney into that. What matters to me is how well he plays, and IMO he has been one of the better stories in an otherwise dismal ST.

I don't have a major problem with it. It is nice when people don't make a big deal out of injuries.

I am a big hockey fan, and in that sport you would never see things like this around. I am a big tennis fan too. Djokovic is one of my favorite players to watch and he acts like a baby on the court some (most) of time.

I am not trying to bash Felix but his reactions to bumps and bruises that occur during a game to me seem over dramatic. I disagree slightly because I think a players demeanor influence the medical staff's oppinion on when someone plays. This type of injury IMO is more than likely going to be Pie's call as to when he returns. I do not think playing with this type of injury can do further damage.

I am a fan of Felix and hope he harnesses his considerable talents and becomes a star for the Orioles. JMO, but to do that I think he has to play through some of the bumps and bruises.

I'd almost like to see the people implying that Pie is a drama queen with things like this - all of you form a line and let a pitcher throw 90 MPH pitches at your shins - just so the rest of us can see how you react.

I'd almost like to see the people implying that Pie is a drama queen with things like this - all of you form a line and let a pitcher throw 90 MPH pitches at your shins - just so the rest of us can see how you react.

+1. Perspective please.

<snicker> yeah.

Exactly when did Pie not play through bumps and bruises? Look, there were a couple times last year when he acted like some ouch was a big deal when it turned out to be nothing major. So what? He acted like it hurt a lot, to the point where you'd think maybe it was a big injury when it wasn't. So, maybe the guy has a low ouch tolerance. Maybe it takes him a minute to realize he's OK. Who cares? It's not like he begged out of games or anything like that. It doesn't matter. People react to things differently. Earl used to say that Palmer always whined about his arm hurting, and as long as Palmer had his excuses all lined up in a row, he pitched great. If Palmer always made a big deal about his arm not being right, does that mean Palmer was a wimp? I don't think so. What matters is how the guy plays, and if he shows up ready to go. How he reacts in the first few seconds of feeling pain is completely irrelevant... unless you think it's some kind of macho contest... which it's not....

Exactly when did Pie not play through bumps and bruises? Look, there were a couple times last year when he acted like some ouch was a big deal when it turned out to be nothing major. So what? He acted like it hurt a lot, to the point where you'd think maybe it was a big injury when it wasn't. So, maybe the guy has a low ouch tolerance. Maybe it takes him a minute to realize he's OK. Who cares? It's not like he begged out of games or anything like that. It doesn't matter. People react to things differently. Earl used to say that Palmer always whined about his arm hurting, and as long as Palmer had his excuses all lined up in a row, he pitched great. If Palmer always made a big deal about his arm not being right, does that mean Palmer was a wimp? I don't think so. What matters is how the guy plays, and if he shows up ready to go. How he reacts in the first few seconds of feeling pain is completely irrelevant... unless you think it's some kind of macho contest... which it's not....

First, I have always been a supporter of Felix Pie. I am not bashing him and think if he could learn to harness his blazing speed and add base stealing and solid decision making, to his arsenal, he could become an All Star. That said, any manager will take a player who is flapping around the field in pain out of a game. Pie IMO has to demand playing time with results this year. To do that he needs to get a little tougher. Your right about the macho thing but guys that project that tough guy image do get a little extra rope on every team and in every sport.

I look at the Reimold, Pie, Scott, Atkins 4 players for 3 spots differently than most. I think that thing is a great thing for the Orioles. Competition makes players better and I want Pie and Reimold to become constants for the Orioles. Pie may have the most upside of the two but I think Nolan is the stronger willed of the two.

I would rather have a player writhe around on the ground after getting hit by a pitch and be ready to play the next day than a player who hides an injury and has it affect their play for six weeks. While the second player is more masculine, the first is a more valuable baseball player.

Fortunately DT is not a neanderthal. He will play the guy who is producing, not the guy with the unibrow and the hairiest chest.:rolleyestf:

Alright, this neanderthal gracefully apologizes to Felix, his family and the legions of Felix fans who took offense.:)

As I said 4 times, I was not ripping Pie, and I think he a Nolan will push each other all year.

Archived