Friday Night College Player of the Night Award

Why don't we hear more about Drew Pomeranz as the top College pitcher? It seems that everything about him this spring has been dominating. Is he as good, or better than Renaudo? How does he stack up against Taillon?

He was considered by most publications that cover the draft to be one of the top four collegiate starters entering the season

Ranaudo

McGuire

Sale

Pomeranz

I think all four have gotten a fair amount of pub as the season has stretched on. Each has some positives and negatives, but Pomeranz has certainly been impressive -- maybe the most consistent as well. Pitch counts are high, but he's working later into games and the pitch counts are going to be a little inflated as a result of the SO. I think he threw around 125 pitches last night over 8 innings.

EDIT -- Workman, Harvey, Wimmers and Loux are likely on a lot of 1st round lists, as well.

Every Friday, I'll post the Friday PON. (I choose Friday, because that's when colleges start their best pitchers).

Tonight, no contest-

Ole Miss

Drew Pomeranz 8 IP 4 hits 3 BB 1 ER 15 K's

Just watched the video. Pomeranz was lights out -- Grimm may have helped his stock even more, considering his struggles thus far. Big night for Grimm.

I think he's a little over-enamoured of the strikeout. Clearly, he has the best numbers. But I don't think he'll be the pick. I think Harper and Taillon will go 1 and 2. I have a sneaking suspicion Jordan goes with Machado or Cabrera with the pick. Just a hunch...

I'd be surprised if Jordan goes High School with the # 3 pick.

Too many bad memories of Loewen, Rowell, and for that matter Riley for Angelos to through huge dollars at someone that young.

Regardless of what Jordan says, Hogbood was the choice because he was willing to accept slot in a pool with no standout talent worth overpaying. And it's not Maztek vs Hogbood. It's would you trade Hogbood, Coffey, and Ohlman for Maztek.

A college lefty that is not considered a reach will be very hard to pass over.

I think he's a little over-enamoured of the strikeout. Clearly, he has the best numbers. But I don't think he'll be the pick. I think Harper and Taillon will go 1 and 2. I have a sneaking suspicion Jordan goes with Machado or Cabrera with the pick. Just a hunch...

Cabrera? I'd be surprised if Cabrera were selected in the Top 20 as of today -- not having an overly impressive spring, and he's a year older than most of the rest of the HS class. Now, pedigree is there and he has the pro body and plus power potential. But that seems like a stretch with a lot of safer talents on the board.

I'd be surprised if Jordan goes High School with the # 3 pick.

Too many bad memories of Loewen, Rowell, and for that matter Riley for Angelos to through huge dollars at someone that young.

Regardless of what Jordan says, Hogbood was the choice because he was willing to accept slot in a pool with no standout talent worth overpaying. And it's not Maztek vs Hogbood. It's would you trade Hogbood, Coffey, and Ohlman for Maztek.

A college lefty that is not considered a reach will be very hard to pass over.

You're calling Joe Jordan a liar?

You're calling Joe Jordan a liar?

Let's call it a white lie to not directly insult both Hobgood and Maztek.

Handing 18 year olds millions of dollars is a huge risk, and I think Jordan was absolutely correct to spread that risk over a few prospects instead of putting all the eggs in one basket.

And if Jordan passes on Harper and/or Taillon this is why, regardless of the spin the Orioles/Jordan feed to the media/public.

Cabrera? I'd be surprised if Cabrera were selected in the Top 20 as of today -- not having an overly impressive spring, and he's a year older than most of the rest of the HS class. Now, pedigree is there and he has the pro body and plus power potential. But that seems like a stretch with a lot of safer talents on the board.

Agreed... Cabrera has taken a step back in the overall rankings, and it wouldn't shock me to find him out of R1 altogether, come Draft Day.

Archived