5/20 Orioles @ Rangers: Game 2

24HOR

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The Braves come into Baltimore at 35-28, but 9-15 in their last 24, including 3 consecutive losses to the Nationals over the weekend.  The pitching matchups are: Max Fried (6-2, 2.93 ERA) vs. Albert Suarez (2-0, 1.83) Spencer Schwellenbach (0-2, 8.38) vs. Cade Povich (0-1, 10.13) Reynaldo Lopez (3-2, 1.85) vs. Cole Irvin  6-2, 2.87) Fried comes in on a nice roll, having pitched to a 1.53 ERA in his last 5 starts covering 35.1.innings.  The O’s saw him last year and handled him well, scoring 7 runs (5 earned) in 6 innings.  Schwellenbach will be making only his third major league start, which is one more than his counterpart, Cade Povich, will have made in his career.  I’m not quite sure why, but Schwellenbach was promoted after only two games in AA, having previously been pitching in high A.  So, Povich is actually the more experienced pitcher, and I like that matchup.  Lopez, who had been a reliever for the last several years, has been converted back into a starting pitcher this season and has been extremely effective.  The O’s saw him a couple of times in relief last year and scored a couple of runs off him. The bullpens appear evenly matched, with the Braves sporting a 3.35 bullpen ERA (5th in MLB), with the Orioles just ahead at 3.29 (4th).   Closer Raisel Iglesias sports a 2.22 ERA and has converted 16 of 18 saves. The Orioles are outscoring the Braves, 5.17 runs per game to 4.43.   Going into the final Tampa game, the O’s were carrying a 120 OPS+, while the Braves are at 101.   The Braves are without Ronald Acuña Jr., out for the rest of the year with a knee injury.  During their recent 24-game slide (the last 13 without Acuña), they’ve averaged only 3.63 runs per game.  Most of the Braves’ lineup is having a down year, with the notable exception of Marcell Ozuna, who’s hitting .312/.385/.603 and leads the NL with 18 homers and 55 RBI. Overall, the O’s will face two tough veteran pitches in Fried and Lopez, and a very inexperienced rookie in Schwellenbach.   Our offense is used to facing tough starters and has been on a good roll lately, so hopefully they can find a way to put some runs on the board.  I’d be very happy to get a series win here.
    • Rooting for the Royals to win a game makes you really appreciate how deep and balanced the Orioles lineup is. Watching KC hit against tough pitching is just a total waste of time until Witt and Perez are due up. Adam Frazier pinch hit for their cleanup hitter in the 9th tonight. And they're one of the better run scoring teams in the AL.
    • Aside from pitchers, thoughts on Harrison Bader?  RH, GG caliber CF, no power but OPSing 140 points better than Mullins.  Shouldn't require much in return.
    • I'm not that skilled with predicting the future. But I would say that it is very probably/likely that he finishes with better numbers than our best reliever. The stuff is electric and the strikeout numbers are tremendous!
    • Oh I'm sorry. I was seeing Bradish on ESPN.
    • I'm on record saying that I think the Royals aren't for real this season, but when you have to play the Yankees you have to beat the umps and the team, and it's stupid. I'm looking forward to the series later this month.
  • Popular Contributors