That's it... time to send Adam to Norfolk

SteveA

Meh, I don't think its bad coaching that is causing their problems.

I'm fine with hiring new coaches, but I think its too romantic to think that a new coaching staff will waltz in here and turn this rag tag group of misfits into contenders.

Who said they would become contenders with new coaches? This argument is used a lot when discussing replacing Trembley and Crowley and it's just hyperbole. No one really thinks that.

I don't think new coaches will help that much either but if it gets the players focused again and gets them playing closer to their expectations for the rest of the season, I am all for it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Down 4 runs, a man on, and he swings at a 3-1 pitch that is way high and pops out.

He has to change his approach at the plate. Bring up Reimold, send Adam down there and tell him until he has a walk every 10 plate appearances for a 2 week stretch he isn't coming back up.

I saw his first at bat and that was enough for me. I yelled at the tv to send him down right then and there. More then anything else dude has lost his mojo. We have tried everything to get him going, AAA seems like next on the list. Of the under performing bunch, he may be the most disheartening for what he means to the future of this franchise. He and Markakis were (are?) supposed to be our Posada and Jeter, to draw a comparison- maybe not the best player on the team but the spine of good teams to come. By far this has been the most disappointing part of the season.

Who said they would become contenders with new coaches? This argument is used a lot when discussing replacing Trembley and Crowley and it's just hyperbole. No one really thinks that.

I don't think new coaches will help that much either but if it gets the players focused again and gets them playing closer to their expectations for the rest of the season, I am all for it.

Its hyperbole for sure, but the point remains. I think its overly optimistic to think that a simple coaching change will get these guys to fix what is currently wrong with their swings and approaches.

It may be, but I actually think a new staff will help a lot.

This team is mentally defeated right now. New coaches don't necessarily have to be better at all of the x's and o's to make a difference (yes, I know, wrong sport).

I've seen individual games turn on a dime just because a leader stood up and got people re-energized. That's what this team needs, for a season. I don't mean this in a rah-rah sense, I mean it in a new beginnings sense. A new staff starts from a baseline and sets new benchmarks, individually and collectively. Trembley/Crowley's benchmarks are all just talking points at this point. There's nothing to build to. Their time is spent.

If the problem was effort, I'd agree with you. But I don't think that's the problem. Its simple execution, and I don't really see a new coach making a ton of difference. I don't think Jones will learn to not swing at low and away sliders because we replace Terry Crowley.

I'm all for making a chance even simply for the sake of doing it and hoping that the shock of all these guys realizing that they've just cost a handful of men their jobs could snap them out of the funk. The slim chance of that happening is worth making the move at this point, IMO. I just don't really expect it to make a major difference. These players will either make the necessary adjustments, under the current staff or a new one, or they won't.

We really, really need for them to make the adjustments.

Its hyperbole for sure, but the point remains. I think its overly optimistic to think that a simple coaching change will get these guys to fix what is currently wrong with their swings and approaches.

Has Crowley done a heck of a job with Luke Scott, or is Scott just a damn good streak hitter who got on a roll? IMO, This team has Roberts, Markakis, Tejada, Wigginton and Scott who can be counted on to hit. Roberts is out, leaving 4 ML level hitters in our lineup. How many people think that 4 ML hitters in an AL East lineup will produce a .400 winning percentage? Not me. You can blame poor TC all you want, but Andy MacPhail assembled this team. Go ask Andy what he wants to do now.

I haven't seen anyone address how a single hitting coach is expected to address five separate career-worst slumps happening simultaneously.

Reimold

Jones

Scott

Atkins

Izturis

Toss in Wieters and it seems to me that there may not be enough hours in the day to address each of these issues with "extra time in the cage."

Whatevs. I haven't seen anyone actually offer any evidence regarding the failures of our coaches, either. But I wouldn't really complain if they made a change.

Has Crowley done a heck of a job with Luke Scott, or is Scott just a damn good streak hitter who got on a roll? IMO, This team has Roberts, Markakis, Tejada, Wigginton and Scott who can be counted on to hit. Roberts is out, leaving 4 ML level hitters in our lineup. How many people think that 4 ML hitters in an AL East lineup will produce a .400 winning percentage? Not me. You can blame poor TC all you want, but Andy MacPhail assembled this team. Go ask Andy what he wants to do now.
Its not Andy or Crowley or Trembley's fault that Jones, Reimold, Wieters, Izturis, and Scott for the 1st month plus hit like little girls.

Its the fault, and the sole fault, of each one of these players. MacPhail wasn't wrong to think they could hit like solid MLB hitters, Crowley isn't an idiot for them getting into slumps, and Trembley isn't a fool for continuing to play them when he doesn't have better options.

The players suck right now. I think a change in coaching staff may be able to wake them up and hopefully that ends their slumps, but I don't think there is much of a chance of a new coach coming in and making physical changes to these guys' approach and swings to cause them to start hitting better. They'll start hitting better under either the current staff or a new one, or they won't. It's on the players entirely, not the coaches, current or new.

I haven't seen anyone address how a single hitting coach is expected to address five separate career-worst slumps happening simultaneously.

Actually, to me, this is a compelling case that the hitting coach isn't doing his job.

Literally every young hitter on this team is underachieving. Is it a coincidence that all of them have been in a slump for the entire season? Sure, it could be. Or it could be indicative that they're not on the same page with their hitting coach, and that he's not exactly doing a great job at helping hitters correct their flaws. For one reason or another, young Orioles are not progressing the way they should and not living up to their talents. Certainly, the bulk of that responsibility falls on the players themselves. But isn't it also a coach's job to help get the most out of the players? I don't see how Crowley has done that in any way, shape, or form.

Reimold

Jones

Scott

Atkins

Izturis

Toss in Wieters and it seems to me that there may not be enough hours in the day to address each of these issues with "extra time in the cage."

Whatevs. I haven't seen anyone actually offer any evidence regarding the failures of our coaches, either. But I wouldn't really complain if they made a change.

Jim, I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat on this stuff. However, I'm starting to more recently wonder if maybe it's time for a clean slate at the major league level.

For the most part, Reimold and Wieters earned their promotions to here. To see them regress in a year after they've gotten some experience, is making me wonder a little bit about the message in the clubhouse. Sort of the same goes for Jones. There is a good case to be made that he should go to Norfolk.

For this to happen to three cornerstones of your offense is somewhat puzzling. It's still early however, and I'm inclined to wait the season out for a couple of more months before setting my opinion in stone.

I don't think anyone could really help Atkins or Izturis and Scott is who he is.

It's puzzling to me right now.

Actually, to me, this is a compelling case that the hitting coach isn't doing his job.

Literally every young hitter on this team is underachieving. Is it a coincidence that all of them have been in a slump for the entire season? Sure, it could be. Or it could be indicative that they're not on the same page with their hitting coach, and that he's not exactly doing a great job at helping hitters correct their flaws. For one reason or another, young Orioles are not progressing the way they should and not living up to their talents. Certainly, the bulk of that responsibility falls on the players themselves. But isn't it also a coach's job to help get the most out of the players? I don't see how Crowley has done that in any way, shape, or form.

Paul, what is wrong with you?

Don't you know by now that on field results mean nothing?

Its all about a player saying he likes Crow and the fact that PA hasn't approved him being fired.

Who cares that Wieters has shown hardly any power in his career or that Jones has been terrible for a year.

That is meaningless...All that matters is that Crow has had a job for a long time and thus that means he is good.

Seriously, open your eyes and understand what is going on! :rolleyes:;)

Yeah, it's pretty incredible that your point isn't noticed, or is otherwise chalked up to coincidence. People don't seem to understand that they've argued themselves into the "coaches make no difference whatsoever" category.

Jim, I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat on this stuff. However, I'm starting to more recently wonder if maybe it's time for a clean slate at the major league level.

For the most part, Reimold and Wieters earned their promotions to here. To see them regress in a year after they've gotten some experience, is making me wonder a little bit about the message in the clubhouse. Sort of the same goes for Jones. There is a good case to be made that he should go to Norfolk.

For this to happen to three cornerstones of your offense is somewhat puzzling. It's still early however, and I'm inclined to wait the season out for a couple of more months before setting my opinion in stone.

I don't think anyone could really help Atkins or Izturis and Scott is who he is.

It's puzzling to me right now.

It's not just the three cornerstones. Markakis, Tejada and Izturis are all underachieving based on previous results. Scott isn't right now, but we should see how his mood swings at the plate average out before we chalk him up as any kind of success. Atkins is worse, as all indicators suggested he would be, so it's hard to draw any conclusions from him.

So, basically, we have Wiggington, an ehhhhh on Scott and a bunch of other underachievers...but I'm sure it's all the player's fault in every circumstance.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible that your point isn't noticed, or is otherwise chalked up to coincidence. People don't seem to understand that they've argued themselves into the "coaches make no difference whatsoever" category.
I don't think "coaches make no difference whatsoever" but I don't think they make this much difference.

I'm all for canning the entire staff, although I'm not sure I've ever seen that done midseason, but I don't think the players are struggling because of poor coaching. It may not be helping them get out of the slumps as well as it should be, and that alone is a fireable offense, but I have no expectation that a new coaching staff would help these guys start hitting particularly more quickly than the current one.

But all these guys were good last year. Did Crowley forget how to coach over the winter? Look, I really don't care if they fire everybody currently employed by the Orioles down to the ushers the way this thing is headed but anyone who thinks new coaches are going to make much of a difference with these guys is going to be disappointed.

But all these guys were good last year. Did Crowley forget how to coach over the winter? Look, I really don't care if they fire everybody currently employed by the Orioles down to the ushers the way this thing is headed but anyone who thinks new coaches are going to make much of a difference with these guys is going to be disappointed.

Who's to say they were still doing what got them to Baltimore in 2009, and then Crowley tinkered with them and made them into what they are now?

Archived