Trembley to be fired today?

Pedro Cerrano

Guest pokerface7418
No, I haven't thankfully. And believe me I do feel bad for Trembley, but the bottom line is that baseball is a business that demands results and MacPhail did say Trembley would be evaluated on wins and losses.

I've never been quick to defend a JTrea either as a poster or a reader of these threads, but I have to agree with him here. We're talking about professional sports. Has there ever been an instance where a manager of a losing team gets fired and you can truly blame the results of the team squarely on his managerial skills? I doubt it, but those guys still get fired, and I can't say with any certainty that they didn't give any less effort then Trembley has.

It's part of the game, it sucks for DT, it could even be unfair, but lets stop getting all caught up in DT's "feelings". If AM is half the GM I think he is, he shouldn't be losing sleep at night wondering how DT is going to "feel" after all this. Forget about soft landings. Life will go on for DT after this, I don't think he'll be jumping off any bridges or crying himself to sleep at night.

FWIW - I think McPhail should stay

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I haven't thankfully. And believe me I do feel bad for Trembley, but the bottom line is that baseball is a business that demands results and MacPhail did say Trembley would be evaluated on wins and losses.

Bowden put it best - you either have to fire yourself as a GM or you have to fire the manager.

Personally I think it should be a dual firing. MacPhail should fire Trembley and then resign himself and admit that his plan is a failure and he's leaving for the good of the franchise.

Bowden, yeah, there's a great GM. :rolleyes:

Look, I would have fired Trembley a few weeks ago if it had been my decision to make. I'm just pointing ou this isn't an easy thing to do, and there is no right answer whether you wait 20 games, 40 or 60 before making the decision that you've given the guy enough of a chance.

As to AM's own performance, he should be up for review when the season is over. Changing a GM in mid-season is generally not a good idea IMO. Besides, the one thing AM has been quite good at is making deadline deals. So leave him in until the end of the year, then decide.

Who the hell is going to wave in the runners from third now?

It's like they are demoting Samuel, he has 1 foot out the door now!!!

I heard they won't be replacing Samuel at all. Why would the O's need anyone coaching at 3b when so few players actually make it that far? From now on, Shelby should just give any signs from 1b.

But we were told by a source familiar with MacPhail’s line of thinking that Thursday night or Friday morning is the most likely timeline. And we were told that before the team lost seven in a row (heading into Thursday).

The reason for the delay, then?

Archived