The Big 12 may be doomed

Birds of B'more

I would think there's alot more money involved with taking A&M. I don't really want FSU. I don't think they offer much anymore. I'd rather go Miami or Va Tech.

If Florida State can rebound, and by all appearances they seem to be on the verge of doing so, then they do have a strong national brand that still remains from their glory days not so long ago. Kind of like Nebraska....the Huskers don't add any big TV markets to the Big 10, but they have a national appeal that will pull in viewers from everywhere. VT is also appealing, obviously, since they represent an untapped territory for the SEC. I don't know how interested they would really be in Miami. I'm sure the SEC would absolutely love to get someone like UNC, but I don't see them ever leaving the ACC.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it looks like Mizzou is more interested in the Big-10 than the Big 10 is in them. So, it looks like SEC or a revised remnant Big-12 for the Tigers, if the Big-12ish invite TCU and another MWC team to replace Colorado and Nebraska.

The dominoes have begun to fall, it should be a crazy summer for college football.

-Don

Yeah, it looks like Missouri may have screwed the pooch....big time. By throwing themselves at the Big 10's feet the way they did, no one in whatever remains of the Big 12 will want them. I doubt the Pac-Whatever has an interest, the SEC certainly won't, and now it looks like the Big 10 may not either. Conference USA, anyone?

Yeah' date=' it looks like Missouri may have screwed the pooch....big time. By throwing themselves at the Big 10's feet the way they did, no one in whatever remains of the Big 12 will want them. I doubt the Pac-Whatever has an interest, the SEC certainly won't, and now it looks like the Big 10 may not either. Conference USA, anyone?[/quote']

I believe Missouri would be a good match for the SEC. Bordering three SEC states, and bringing new markets in KC (#31) & St. Louis (#23).

SEC has shown interest in Oklahoma too. But Oklahoma is apparently just Texas' patsy.

While Castiglione also confirmed that the Southeastern Conference has shown interest in the Sooners, OU's position is that it's going to stick with Texas wherever the Longhorns go because of the long history between the two schools.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100610_202_B1_OKLAHO7815

Where is Kansas going to go? Could the SEC now try to add Kansas, Duke, and UNC? This is going to get very interesting...

Doubt the SEC has any interest at all in Kansas or Duke. As I mentioned, I bet they'd welcome UNC in a heartbeat...but I can't imagine UNC leaving the ACC unless the conference really gets pillaged.

Doubt the SEC has any interest at all in Kansas or Duke. As I mentioned' date=' I bet they'd welcome UNC in a heartbeat...but I can't imagine UNC leaving the ACC unless the conference really gets pillaged.[/quote']

I could see the SEC taking Kansas b/c it would give them some much needed basketball appeal, while not killing them in football. Duke just wouldn't do enough for them. I think if they can't get some big time schools, the SEC will just sit tight. It doesn't do much to add a Missouri. They don't really contribute much. If you can get A&M and Va Tech, that's a different story.

So if the Big 10 isn't interested in Mizzou I wonder if that increases the probability of MD going to the Big 10.

Two attractive targets to the Big 10 would be Rutgers and MD due to the TV markets and are preferred according to another thread.

So if the Big 10 isn't interested in Mizzou I wonder if that increases the probability of MD going to the Big 10.

Two attractive targets to the Big 10 would be Rutgers and MD due to the TV markets and are preferred according to another thread.

I have this hunch that the Big Ten will take Nebraska for now and just sit tight for a while. They may just sit back and let the Pac-10 do their thing and wait and see if the SEC counters. All the while they will watch Notre Dame to see if they start getting antsy over the "seismic shift" that's going down and perhaps want to talk. If they don't, and the dominoes continue to fall, then the Big Ten will make their move again...and probably look to the east this time.

This realignment is mostly about football, but you guys keep talking about basketball.

Conferences are rushing to land schools like Texas A&M, Nebraska, Notre Dame while there appears to be little energy to land Kansas, KState, etc.

Of course it is TV markets, related revenue increases, athletic department success, etc, but the revenue driver here is the football programs - not the basketball ones.

For now. But, if a Kansas is left out in the cold, I could see the SEC or Big 10 try to snatch them up for basketball purposes.

Of course it is TV markets, related revenue increases, athletic department success, etc, but the revenue driver here is the football programs - not the basketball ones.

For most of the big schools it is. But not all of them. And for the schools that may now find themselves outside the BCS, there's legitimate concern. Like Kansas. Without BCS/Big 12 money, will they still be able to fund their storied basketball program like they're accustomed to? And where will they play? If they get stuck in the Missouri Valley Conference, could they eventually become irrelevant? Same goes for Baylor, who were among the Top 25 last season. And what if these super-conferences break away from the NCAA? What happens to March Madness? You better believe there is concern in Kansas over that. Same goes for schools like Syracuse, UConn, Duke...all of them place more emphasis on their basketball programs.

For most of the big schools it is. But not all of them. And for the schools that may now find themselves outside the BCS' date=' there's legitimate concern. Like Kansas. Without BCS/Big 12 money, will they still be able to fund their storied basketball program like they're accustomed to? And where will they play? If they get stuck in the Missouri Valley Conference, could they eventually become irrelevant? Same goes for Baylor, who were among the Top 25 last season. And what if these super-conferences break away from the NCAA? What happens to March Madness? You better believe there is concern in Kansas over that. Same goes for schools like Syracuse, UConn, Duke...all of them place more emphasis on their basketball programs.[/quote']

I'd have to believe that the four superconferences have a pretty good idea of how they could better monetize college athletics than the way the current NCAA is doing it. I think they'll eventually break away and we'll see some sort of playoff format.

Archived