The Big 12 may be doomed

Birds of B'more

What is going to happen with the ACC at this point? Are they going to be swallowed up or are they going to swallow up a lot of the big East?

I think it could be more of a merger than a swallowing. The SEC will probably pluck the ACC's best football programs, like FSU, VT and Miami. So the ACC/BE wouldn't be much of a football conference (not that it is now). But imagine how good of a basketball conference it could be? UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville....wow, that's a Final Four right there. And of course you still have Pitt, UConn, WV, Wake, and MD if they don't go to the Big 10. And don't forget, Kansas will almost certainly be looking for a new home too. If they are willing to work with the travel issue, add them and that's a lot of historic and premier programs in one conference.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colorado already has a bid to the Pac-10 (or whatever).

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

And they are pushing for two BCS bids rather than a conference championship game. What a crock.

The new conference would be split into divisions with Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

I'm wondering if the following is how it all shakes out in the end...

Big 14

1 Illinois

2 Indiana

3 Iowa

4 Michigan

5 Michigan State

6 Minnesota

7 Northwestern

8 Ohio State

9 Penn State

10 Purdue

11 Wisconsin

12 Notre Dame

13 Nebraska

14 Rutgers

Pac 16

1 Arizona

2 Arizona State

3 California

4 Oregon

5 Oregon State

6 Stanford

7 UCLA

8 USC

9 Washington

10 Washington State

11 Colorado

12 Oklahoma

13 Oklahoma State

14 Texas

15 Texas A&M

16 Texas Tech

SEC

1 Alabama

2 Arkansas

3 Auburn

4 Florida

5 Georgia

6 Kentucky

7 LSU

8 Mississippi State

9 Ole Miss

10 South Carolina

11 Tennessee

12 Vanderbilt

13 Missouri

14 Kansas

15 Kansas State

16 Baylor

ACC

1 Boston College

2 Clemson

3 Duke

4 Florida State

5 Georgia Tech

6 Maryland

7 Miami

8 NC State

9 North Carolina

10 Virginia

11 Virginia Tech

12 Wake Forest

13 Connecticut

14 Syracuse

15 Pittsburgh

16 West Virginia

17 Cincinnati

18 Louisville

American West

1 Air Force

2 Boise State

3 BYU

4 Colorado State

5 Fresno State

6 Hawaii

7 Idaho

8 Iowa State

9 Nevada

10 New Mexico

11 New Mexico State

12 San Diego State

13 San Jose State

14 TCU

15 UNLV

16 Utah

17 Utah State

18 Wyoming

If the rumored events of the Big Ten getting ND, Nebraska, and Rutgers occurs, coupled with the Pac16 forming with six Big 12 schools, I believe that the SEC will seriously consider new markets that are adjacent to them, in Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor... the remnants (minus Iowa St) of the Big 12.

I hadn't realized before that Missouri borders THREE SEC states! Baylor borders Louisiana and Arkansas as well. Kansas and K St would be a big get for basketball as well. Grabbing these four allows the SEC to avoid the hassle of trying to raid the ACC, and again, enter new markets.

The ACC would then form a merger of sorts with the Big East (minus USF). Wow.

Reports out of Boulder this morning indicate Colorado to the Pac-10 (heading to a Pac-16) is a "done deal." CU could have a press conference as early as 11 am tomorrow to announce the move.

Pac-16 West

Cal

Oregon

Oregon ST

Stanford

USC

UCLA

Washington

Washington ST

Pac-16 East

Arizona

Arizona ST

Colorado

Oklahoma

Oklahoma ST

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

-Don

I'm wondering if the following is how it all shakes out in the end...

SEC

1 Alabama

2 Arkansas

3 Auburn

4 Florida

5 Georgia

6 Kentucky

7 LSU

8 Mississippi State

9 Ole Miss

10 South Carolina

11 Tennessee

12 Vanderbilt

13 Missouri

14 Kansas

15 Kansas State

16 Baylor

If the rumored events of the Big Ten getting ND, Nebraska, and Rutgers occurs, coupled with the Pac16 forming with six Big 12 schools, I believe that the SEC will seriously consider new markets that are adjacent to them, in Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor... the remnants (minus Iowa St) of the Big 12.

I hadn't realized before that Missouri borders THREE SEC states! Baylor borders Louisiana and Arkansas as well. Kansas and K St would be a big get for basketball as well. Grabbing these four allows the SEC to avoid the hassle of trying to raid the ACC, and again, enter new markets.

The ACC would then form a merger of sorts with the Big East (minus USF). Wow.

I highly doubt that the SEC takes in any Big-12 schools other than A&M. Rumor has it that they've been in talks with A&M and are possibly targeting FSU.

I highly doubt that the SEC takes in any Big-12 schools other than A&M. Rumor has it that they've been in talks with A&M and are possibly targeting FSU.

A&M is the wild card, as it does appear they have a choice between the revised Pac-10 or the SEC. And Missouri is still talking like they will get a Big 10 invite.

My guess is Baylor would be the Pac-16 back-up plan if A&M bolts.

-Don

A&M is the wild card, as it does appear they have a choice between the revised Pac-10 or the SEC. And Missouri is still talking like they will get a Big 10 invite.

My guess is Baylor would be the Pac-16 back-up plan if A&M bolts.

-Don

I agree that the SEC/BIG 12 thing is not as likely as other scenarios, but if Missouri fails to get a Big Ten invite, I see the SEC wanting them. So many possibilities though.

Especially such weak football programs. If they took in those 4 teams they would have to go North & South divisions b/c that would move Auburn & Alabama to the East otherwise.

I could see the SEC getting A&M and FSU. Though, it might be tough to get the Aggies without the Horns.

Especially such weak football programs. If they took in those 4 teams they would have to go North & South divisions b/c that would move Auburn & Alabama to the East otherwise.

I could see the SEC getting A&M and FSU. Though, it might be tough to get the Aggies without the Horns.

Personally, I'd rather grab TCU than A&M.

I would think there's alot more money involved with taking A&M. I don't really want FSU. I don't think they offer much anymore. I'd rather go Miami or Va Tech.

I bet there is a lot more $$ w/ A&M too. Larger stadium, can hold their own in both football and basketball (not sure about TCU's basketball program and they have a small-for-the-SEC football stadium). TCU is in the Dallas TV market though, which is huge.

I bet there is a lot more $$ w/ A&M too. Larger stadium, can hold their own in both football and basketball (not sure about TCU's basketball program and they have a small-for-the-SEC football stadium). TCU is in the Dallas TV market though, which is huge.

I lived in Texas for a few years. When it comes to statewide appeal, Texas is the clear #1, with A&M a distant 2nd. Everyone else is behind those two. In fact, I'd say just about all of the other schools in the state are limited to just local appeal. A&M will bring many more TVs to the SEC than TCU would. They are also a bigger athletic program as a whole. In fact A&M is the 22nd largest athletic department in the country.

It's official... Colorado to the new Pac 10+. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

And it looks like Mizzou is more interested in the Big-10 than the Big 10 is in them. So, it looks like SEC or a revised remnant Big-12 for the Tigers, if the Big-12ish invite TCU and another MWC team to replace Colorado and Nebraska.

The dominoes have begun to fall, it should be a crazy summer for college football.

-Don

Archived