The Big 12 may be doomed

Birds of B'more

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Big 12 stays at ten schools, then the landscape remains fairly intact, but if five of the schools rumored to be leaving, do- it's possible that the Big 12 will keep their five remaining schools and absorb the MWC, therefore maintaining their BCS standing.

Also, if Texas A&M does join the SEC, that league will be looking to add another school. Many interesting options.

And if Texas A&M decides to go to the SEC instead, there will apparently be only 4 Big 12 schools left. Word is that after the Pac 10 commissioner did his Texas/Oklahoma tour over the weekend, his final stop was to the Kansas City area, where presumably he went to KU to offer them an invite that would be contingent upon A&M turning down theirs.

And if Texas A&M decides to go to the SEC instead' date=' there will apparently be only 4 Big 12 schools left. Word is that after the Pac 10 commissioner did his Texas/Oklahoma tour over the weekend, his final stop was to the Kansas City area, where presumably he went to KU to offer them an invite that would be contingent upon A&M turning down theirs.[/quote']

Interesting, as Schad said that Kansas would be a secondary option to Utah. So much happening... amazing.

Interesting, as Schad said that Kansas would be a secondary option to Utah. So much happening... amazing.

That's what I heard too. But the local media somehow got the tail number of the plane Larry Scott was using (it was a private plane donated by a big-time U of Oregon booster, but not Phil Knight) and tracked it all day yesterday. And they confirmed the plane stopped in K.C. Crazy stuff...but that's how Texans are when it comes to their football.

That's what I heard too. But the local media somehow got the tail number of the plane Larry Scott was using (it was a private plane donated by a big-time U of Oregon booster' date=' but not Phil Knight) and tracked it all day yesterday. And they confirmed the plane stopped in K.C. Crazy stuff...but that's how Texans are when it comes to their football.[/quote']

LOL... Big Business, Big Emotion, Big Drama... fits Texas just right. :D

I read that Kansas and KState agreed to stick together whatever happens... time will tell.

The guy at Orangebloods.com is saying that his sources are still telling him that Texas wants to stay in the Big 12. He speculates, however, that UT might just be sending out that as a smokescreen because they don't want to look like the ones who were responsible for the destruction of the Big 12. They'll wait for A&M to go to the SEC and then come out and say they had no choice.

Not according to this latest ESPN article...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

Pac10- here comes Texas, TTech, Oklahoma, Ok State... it appears imminent.

A&M to the SEC.

SportsCenter acknowledged this and said they are hearing conflicting reports.

Joe Schad was saying it is all about Texas..Whatever Texas does, the other 3 schools will likely follow.

Texas A&M may be a big key as well..If they leave to go to the SEC, as they seem to want to, Texas may find it tough to stay and if they leave, the big 12 is done.

The guy at Orangebloods.com is saying that his sources are still telling him that Texas wants to stay in the Big 12. He speculates' date=' however, that UT might just be sending out that as a smokescreen because they don't want to look like the ones who were responsible for the destruction of the Big 12. They'll wait for A&M to go to the SEC and then come out and say they had no choice.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure it is all one big smokescreen so that Texas can blame the demise of the Big XII on anyone but themselves. First it was Nebraska, now it's TAMU.

I expect the Big 12 to survive. Each school that leaves has to give the conference truckloads of money to leave... plus the conference has an automatic BCS berth, plus long term bowl contracts, etc. All of those things are valuable assets, so it would be insane to fold the conference. The Big 12 will have a different cast of characters, but it's not gonna fold...

From what I've read, no one has to pay anything if the conference breaks up.

From what I've read, no one has to pay anything if the conference breaks up.

From what I recall, those "payments" usually come in the form of withheld conference revenues during whatever year(s) a defector remains as a lame duck. So if the conference ends up folding and all TV deal are voided, then yeah, I can't imagine anyone has to pay. Who would they be paying anyway.

Chip Brown's (the guy from orangebloods.com) latest tweets:

An announcement that a remodeled Big 12 will survive with a new television deal could be announced as early as Monday, sources say.
All 10 schools remaining in the Big 12 are are at the table working on a deal that would save the league, sources tell Orangebloods.com.

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

Personally, I think this guy is just a shill for Texas and is repeating whatever they tell him. If it looks like the former Big XII is coming together and TAMU leaves for the SEC, thus casting the final blow, it will give Texas the open window they need to leave without the bad PR. Texas has been spinning this against anyone and everyone from the beginning and Chip Brown has been at the center.

I'm pretty sure it is all one big smokescreen so that Texas can blame the demise of the Big XII on anyone but themselves. First it was Nebraska, now it's TAMU.

Lot of talk on Orangebloods that the schools are working things out at this very moment. I read a Tweet where Gene Stallings has completely changed his tune and said he would love to remain in the Big 12. This is becoming absurd.

They also say that under this new deal Dan Beebe has worked out Texas will get $20-24 million per year plus the option of starting their own network, while other schools would get somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-20 million. What a bunch of tools if that's true. Under that scenario, I still see the conference fracturing apart a couple years down the road. These other schools have to get tired of being Texas' pawn eventually.

Personally, I think this guy is just a shill for Texas and is repeating whatever they tell him. If it looks like the former Big XII is coming together and TAMU leaves for the SEC, thus casting the final blow, it will give Texas the open window they need to leave without the bad PR. Texas has been spinning this against anyone and everyone from the beginning and Chip Brown has been at the center.

The guy has been pretty much on the money with his info ever since this began. But yeah, if UT is just using him here he's really gonna have egg on his face.

This whole thing is crazy. If you told me back in January that it was more likely that the Big 12 would be affected more than the Big East with these conference realignments, I would have questioned your sources.

Now, the Big East remains intact while the Big 12 looks to be completely pillaged of its powerhouses. Unless the Big Ten pulls a few more cards (which is still possible), the Big East got lucky.

Archived