The Big 12 may be doomed

Birds of B'more

I'd have to believe that the four superconferences have a pretty good idea of how they could better monetize college athletics than the way the current NCAA is doing it. I think they'll eventually break away and we'll see some sort of playoff format.

You mean for basketball? Football, definitely. But I can't think of a better way to do March Madness than what the NCAA has. Especially with the new TV deal that will hopefully get national coverage of every game, instead of the regional coverage we get for Rounds 1 & 2.

If the super-conferences do their own basketball tournament, then you basically have all 64 teams playing and that's it. No Butlers....unless the new conferences decide to invite a few schools from outside the cartel to play, but I seriously doubt that would happen, since then they'd have to share some money.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another interesting thing to consider would be the impact to the non-revenue sports. Now these teams will have to travel by plane more often as opposed to bus b/c of the increased geographic footprint. Not only that but they will have to do it more often, say 2 more trips per year. Extrapolate that across 16 or so sports and it will add up.

If MD were in the Big 10, they'd fly everywhere but Columbus (6 hrs) and Happy Valley. Of course, we don't know who else they'd be adding so maybe they'd get a break only traveling to Rutgers.

For most of the big schools it is. But not all of them. And for the schools that may now find themselves outside the BCS' date=' there's legitimate concern. Like Kansas. Without BCS/Big 12 money, will they still be able to fund their storied basketball program like they're accustomed to? And where will they play? If they get stuck in the Missouri Valley Conference, could they eventually become irrelevant? Same goes for Baylor, who were among the Top 25 last season. And what if these super-conferences break away from the NCAA? What happens to March Madness? You better believe there is concern in Kansas over that. Same goes for schools like Syracuse, UConn, Duke...all of them place more emphasis on their basketball programs.[/quote']

I understand the legit concern in a place like Kansas. I posted last night they could be outside the 4 by 16. It would be nice if Notre Dame had the same fear scared into them to join the B10.

Clemson and Florida State to the SEC makes the most sense geographically. Also, they fit into what the SEC is. Big football revenue, basketball is secondary.

FSU, sure. Clemson, not so much. VT would be much better. Virginia is an untapped market that would give the SEC a presence in the Washington DC TV market. It would also open up the opportunity for SEC schools to recruit more out of the DC area and Tidewater region of southern VA....both of which produce some very good football players. To me, Clemson brings nothing to the SEC.

FSU' date=' sure. Clemson, not so much. VT would be much better. Virginia is an untapped market that would give the SEC a presence in the Washington DC TV market. It would also open up the opportunity for SEC schools to recruit more out of the DC area and Tidewater region of southern VA....both of which produce some very good football players. To me, Clemson brings nothing to the SEC.[/quote']

Right, but I was saying only geographically. Not really looking at expanding. Va Tech and Texas A&M would be the 2 I would take, if I got to make the choice.

I heard a few people today on ESPN basically say that the PAC-10 is now the big winner in expansion and it's unlikely the BIG 10 will match them, which is surprising considering the Big 10 was supposed to have the power in this.

Thoughts?

I heard a few people today on ESPN basically say that the PAC-10 is now the big winner in expansion and it's unlikely the BIG 10 will match them, which is surprising considering the Big 10 was supposed to have the power in this.

Thoughts?

I think the Big 10 will expand some more....but maybe not right away. They'll hold out a while and see if the Pac-16 thing goes through and also see if the SEC makes a move. If those two happen, then the Big 10 will move fast to expand eastward before their potential target schools there (Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland) end up committed elsewhere. And of course they want to save a spot for Notre Dame, because if the Big East gets pillaged I have to think they will change their minds about the B10.

Thoughts?

If the Big-12 crumbles and the Pac-10 gets Texas, then they are the big winner. Basically, whoever gets Texas is the big winner. Unless the Big-10 gets Notre Dame. Then that will even things out.

I'm still holding out hope that Mike Slive is working behind the scenes on something that will blow everyone out of the water. Personally, I'd rather see the Big-12 survive, but if it's going to go down, I'd want to see Texas in the SEC. It's doubtful, but it's not over yet.

I think the Big 10 will expand some more....but maybe not right away. They'll hold out a while and see if the Pac-16 thing goes through and also see if the SEC makes a move. If those two happen' date=' then the Big 10 will move fast to expand eastward before their potential target schools there (Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland) end up committed elsewhere. And of course they want to save a spot for Notre Dame, because if the Big East gets pillaged I have to think they will change their minds about the B10.[/quote']

Yeah, they weren't saying that the Big 10 wasn't going to expand more, just that they've missed out on some great schools and are not likely to do better in expansion than the PAC-10 has.

Yeah, they weren't saying that the Big 10 wasn't going to expand more, just that they've missed out on some great schools and are not likely to do better in expansion than the PAC-10 has.

Well, like CT said, if this whole thing forces ND to change it's mind then the Big 10 did pretty good. I think they're playing a poker game here and banking that the Irish will fold towards the end.

Well' date=' like CT said, if this whole thing forces ND to change it's mind then the Big 10 did pretty good. I think they're playing a poker game here and banking that the Irish will fold towards the end.[/quote']

True, but you only have to save 1 spot for ND, not 4. I don't know if it was possible for them to add Texas, Oklahoma, and 1-2 of Nebraska, Texas A&M, OK ST, or Texas Tech, but that may have been better than Nebraska, plus waiting out ND, plus adding whatever else they can get.

Who do you think would have been the best 5 teams to add if possible?

True, but you only have to save 1 spot for ND, not 4. I don't know if it was possible for them to add Texas, Oklahoma, and 1-2 of Nebraska, Texas A&M, OK ST, or Texas Tech, but that may have been better than Nebraska, plus waiting out ND, plus adding whatever else they can get.

Who do you think would have been the best 5 teams to add if possible?

1) N.D.

2) Texas

3) Nebraska

4) Rutgers

5) Maryland

There's varying reasons for my list, but that would probably be it as far as realistic options that make sense for the B10. In fact, I'm not sure Texas was truly a realistic option for the Big 10, but the connections apparently were made between the parties, so I put them there. So as it stands on my list, the B10 will get #3, almost certainly won't get #2, and numbers 1, 4 and 5 are still possibilities. So let's see where it stands when all is said and done.

If the Big-12 crumbles and the Pac-10 gets Texas, then they are the big winner. Basically, whoever gets Texas is the big winner. Unless the Big-10 gets Notre Dame. Then that will even things out.

I'm still holding out hope that Mike Slive is working behind the scenes on something that will blow everyone out of the water. Personally, I'd rather see the Big-12 survive, but if it's going to go down, I'd want to see Texas in the SEC. It's doubtful, but it's not over yet.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I'm not convinced that its a done deal that the Pac-10 gets all six blue chip schools. Orangebloods is reporting that Texas A&M may really want to go the SEC. Like it has been said before, the non revenue sports is going to play a part in this expansion explosion. I wouldn't be surprised that Texas A&M goes to the SEC and takes someone else (at least Ok State or T. T.) with them.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093010

There is no guarantee ND goes to the Big 10...They may feel they have to but its not definite..Their NBC deal runs through 2015.

What i wonder is will the SEC take the southern ACC schools(FSU, Clemson, GT and Miami) and if so, does the ACC get Cuse, Pitt, UCONN and WV?

Archived