Where are the IFers? Rant inside

I know you have to go with BPA at the beginning of the draft. But the Orioles have virtually no IF prospects, especially MIers. How are we going to get them if we don't draft them? I suppose we could sign international prospects? But we haven't done that either.

There's no guarantee that Machado works out, and even if he does, it will be several years before he's in the majors. Who is going to play SS until then? And who will be playing at 2B?

Not sure why you are complaining when we used 2 of our top 4 picks on shortstops.

I think both Machado and Narron are highly talented and very solid picks if you sign them. Narron seems less likely to stick at SS than Machado (who I also doubt), but he has good arm strength and solid actions -- could be above-average defensively at 3B.

Both are in HS.

So your point is that we need some infielders at the major league level in the next couple of years?

Eh, I don't know. We drafted Paco Figueroa in the 9th round in 2004, Blake Davis in the 4th round and Jedidiah Stephens in the 9th round in 2006, and Greg Miclat in the 5th round in 2008. It kind of seems like there are a handful of college infielders who have a pretty quick path to the majors every year, and those guys go in the 1st round or two. By the time you get to the third round, those guys are gone.

So your point is that we need some infielders at the major league level in the next couple of years?

Eh, I don't know. We drafted Paco Figueroa in the 9th round in 2004, Blake Davis in the 4th round and Jedidiah Stephens in the 9th round in 2006, and Greg Miclat in the 5th round in 2008. It kind of seems like there are a handful of college infielders who have a pretty quick path to the majors every year, and those guys go in the 1st round or two. By the time you get to the third round, those guys are gone.

I agree that you really can't complain about the O's draft. It takes time to hash it all out. But My hope was to get at least one of the college SS's, Colon or Rutledge. IMO, those guys will come pretty quick. I certainly understand the choice to go with the super high ceiling of Machado over Colon, although I would have taken Colon. But I don't understand taking a pass on Rutledge in round three when he was there for the taking. I guess Joe Jordan must have been very high on Klein, but I would be much happier with this draft if the choice had been Rutledge there. Taking Narron in round 5 helps me a little, but he is still a long ways away.

My hunch is that Sawyer was drafted as a hitter, not as a catcher--I bet he gets moved to 1B if he signs.

Still, I agree with the premise of the thread--in the first ten rounds, we took two HS SS who are considered good bets to wind up as 3B in the end...even though our best hitting prospect currently in the minors is a 3B, and the best prospect in next year's draft is a 3B. So I'd say we're pretty well set up for 3B for the long haul--which is a good thing--but SS is iffy, and we'd better hope that Hoes sticks at 2B and developes with the bat, because we've got nothing else in the pipeline at 2B...and it now looks like we may have a giant hole at 2B at the major league level going forward.

Archived