Reviewing Joe Jordan's O's Draft History... 2007

Players of note are highlighted in red.

1 Matt Wieters C Georgia Tech

4 Tim Bascom P Bradenton High School (Anna Maria,FL)

5 Jacob Arrieta P Texas Christian University

6 Joe Mahoney 1B University of Richmond

7 Matt Angle OF Ohio State University

8 Shane Matthews P East Carolina University

9 Malcolm Crowley SS Galveston College

10 Eryk Mcconnell P North Carolina State University

11 Robbie Widlansky OF Florida Atlantic University

12 Wally Crancer OF Georgia Tech

13 Jordan Wolf C Xavier University

14 Hank Williamson P San Jacinto College-North

15 Tyrone Hambly 3B Grayson County Junior College

16 Tyler Kolodny 3B El Camino Real High School (Woodland Hills,CA)

17 Jason White SS University of Iowa

18 John Mariotti P Coastal Carolina University

19 Brian Parker P Lewis-Clark State College

20 Sean Gleason P St. Mary's College of California

21 Scott Mueller P Arizona State University

22 Collin Allen P Lamar Community College

23 Tony Kirbis P Point Loma Nazarene University (Calif.)

24 Dan Klein P Servite High School (Anaheim,CA)

25 Cliff Flagello P Shorter College (Ga.)

26 Justin Moore P Chancellor High School (Fredericksburg,VA)

27 Kraig Binick OF New York Tech

28 Stephen Procner P Cleveland State University

29 Danny Heller OF Los Angeles Pierce College

30 Brandon Cooney P Florida Atlantic University

31 Matt Tucker 3B Dallas Baptist University

32 Pete Andrelczyk P Coastal Carolina University

33 Jacob Julius OF University of Arkansas

34 Kyle Touchatt P Wichita State University

35 Eric Perlozzo 2B Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania

36 Calvin Lester OF Prairie View A&M University

37 Merrill Kelly P Desert Mountain High School (Scottsdale,AZ)

38 Michael Harrington OF College of Charleston

39 Joe Yermal P McDonogh School High School (Owings Mills,MD)

40 Aaron Odom P Texas Tech University

41 Russell Wilson 2B/SS Collegiate (Richmond,VA)

42 Joseph Digeronimo SS Wagner College

43 Cole McCurry P Tennessee Wesleyan College

44 Travis Dirk P Navarro College

45 Jacob Smith P Brescia College (Ky.)

46 Lee Ellis OF California Lutheran University

47 Preston Pehrson C Towson University

48 Nick Ray OF Northwest Nazarene University

49 Tyler Newsome OF Marist High School (Chicago,IL)

50 Mike Gioioso SS Mount St. Mary's College

Matt Wieters is universally lauded as a great prospect, and though he is struggling mightily thus far, he should rebound into an outstanding Major Leaguer.

Twenty-five-year old pitcher Tim Bascom had a decent start to the 2010 season at AA, but has struggled at AAA. The jury is still out, but Bascom doesn't appear to be a big league arm.

Jake Arrieta was a great pick in the fifth round, and could be anything from a #1 to a #4 starter. A future role as Closer would not be surprising.

Mahoney (23) is having a fine year at High A Frederick, but doesn't project as a big league bat.

Matt Angle was a good pick in the 7th round, and while most agree that his ceiling is that of a fourth-outfielder, he brings a fiery brand of play that is sorely lacking with the current roster.

Tyler Kolodny was a good pick later and though he may not ever play in the majors, he has been a solid player and great teammate. Not too late for him, but hitting .260 at 22-years old in Low A doesn't bode well.

Overall Grade? While the jury remains out for some, and with Jordan not having 2nd or 3rd round picks, at this juncture I'd rate Jordan's 2007 Draft as an A-.

I'm not sure of your criteria for including names in red. I'd probably be overly inclusive at this point and so I'd red Widlansky, Cooney and Julius -- especially if you are going to red Kolodny. It's hard for me to assign a grade at this point. It seems like it is up to Weiters and Arrieta at this point and we just can't say with any confidence.

The thing that jumps out to me is that the team never gets anything from its late round picks. I don't think you can expect to get a "hit" in any one draft or with any one pick but you can't strike out on rounds after 5 either. Successful teams occassionally find the diamond in the rough. It's hard to remember the last time the Orioles did so.

Russell Wilson 2B/SS Collegiate (Richmond,VA) our 41st rounder went on to star in both baseball and football at NC ST. He was picked in the 4th rd this year by the Rox. He would have a been a fantastic sign. I think the kid is going to be legit now that he can just concentrate on baseball. This was also the year we drafted Dan Klein in round 24.

Players of note are highlighted in red.

1 Matt Wieters C Georgia Tech

4 Tim Bascom P Bradenton High School (Anna Maria,FL)

5 Jacob Arrieta P Texas Christian University

6 Joe Mahoney 1B University of Richmond

7 Matt Angle OF Ohio State University

8 Shane Matthews P East Carolina University

9 Malcolm Crowley SS Galveston College

10 Eryk Mcconnell P North Carolina State University

11 Robbie Widlansky OF Florida Atlantic University

12 Wally Crancer OF Georgia Tech

13 Jordan Wolf C Xavier University

14 Hank Williamson P San Jacinto College-North

15 Tyrone Hambly 3B Grayson County Junior College

16 Tyler Kolodny 3B El Camino Real High School (Woodland Hills,CA)

17 Jason White SS University of Iowa

18 John Mariotti P Coastal Carolina University

19 Brian Parker P Lewis-Clark State College

20 Sean Gleason P St. Mary's College of California

21 Scott Mueller P Arizona State University

22 Collin Allen P Lamar Community College

23 Tony Kirbis P Point Loma Nazarene University (Calif.)

24 Dan Klein P Servite High School (Anaheim,CA)

25 Cliff Flagello P Shorter College (Ga.)

26 Justin Moore P Chancellor High School (Fredericksburg,VA)

27 Kraig Binick OF New York Tech

28 Stephen Procner P Cleveland State University

29 Danny Heller OF Los Angeles Pierce College

30 Brandon Cooney P Florida Atlantic University

31 Matt Tucker 3B Dallas Baptist University

32 Pete Andrelczyk P Coastal Carolina University

33 Jacob Julius OF University of Arkansas

34 Kyle Touchatt P Wichita State University

35 Eric Perlozzo 2B Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania

36 Calvin Lester OF Prairie View A&M University

37 Merrill Kelly P Desert Mountain High School (Scottsdale,AZ)

38 Michael Harrington OF College of Charleston

39 Joe Yermal P McDonogh School High School (Owings Mills,MD)

40 Aaron Odom P Texas Tech University

41 Russell Wilson 2B/SS Collegiate (Richmond,VA)

42 Joseph Digeronimo SS Wagner College

43 Cole McCurry P Tennessee Wesleyan College

44 Travis Dirk P Navarro College

45 Jacob Smith P Brescia College (Ky.)

46 Lee Ellis OF California Lutheran University

47 Preston Pehrson C Towson University

48 Nick Ray OF Northwest Nazarene University

49 Tyler Newsome OF Marist High School (Chicago,IL)

50 Mike Gioioso SS Mount St. Mary's College

Matt Wieters is universally lauded as a great prospect, and though he is struggling mightily thus far, should rebound into an outstanding Major Leaguer.

Twenty-five-year old pitcher Tim Bascom had a decent start to the 2010 season at AA, but has struggled at AAA. The jury is still out, but Bascom doesn't appear to be a big league arm.

Jake Arrieta was a great pick in the fifth round, and could be anything from a #1 to a #4 starter. A future role as Closer would not be surprising.

Mahoney (23) is having a fine year at High A Frederick, but doesn't project as a big league bat.

Matt Angle was a good pick in the 7th round, and while most agree that his ceiling is that of a fourth-outfielder, he brings a fiery brand of play that is sorely lacking with the current roster.

Tyler Kolodny was a good pick later and though he may not ever play in the majors, he has been a solid player and great teammate. Not too late for him, but hitting .260 at 22-years old in Low A doesn't bode well.

Overall Grade? While the jury remains out for some, and with Jordan not having 2nd or 3rd round picks, at this juncture I'd rate Jordan's 2007 Draft as an A-.

Where is Brandon Snyder on this list?? My point is I don't think Jordan has showed me that much really and certainly doesn't walk on water as some believe on this board. Perhaps time will prove me wrong but off of what I see here I seriously doubt it

Where is Brandon Snyder on this list?? My point is I don't think Jordan has showed me that much really and certainly doesn't walk on water as some believe on this board. Perhaps time will prove me wrong but off of what I see here I seriously doubt it

This is the list of players chosen from the 2007 Draft. Jordan chose Snyder 1st in the 2005 Draft, two years earlier. I reviewed that here.

There's a point I want to make to put your lists into context. Every year, about 200-250 players make their major league debut. So, the average team needs to be finding 7-8 potential major leaguers ever year. (I'm including in this guys who only get a cup of coffee.) Just for example, the year Nick Markakis debuted, he was one of 221 players who played their first game that season -- 88 position players and 133 pitchers. 33 of the position players have had 1000 major league PA by now; 47 have had 500; 61 have had 200. Of the pitchers, 15 have made 60+ big league starts; 25 have made 30+; 47 have made 10. 71 have pitched 100+ innings in the bigs.

In that context, the 2007 draft is potentially strong at the top (Wieters and Arrieta could both be impact players), but it seems devoid of the supporting cast guys. Who besides Wieters is going to get 200+ PA? Who besides Arrieta is going to pitch 100+ innings in the bigs?

Nit-picking here, we took Bascom out of the University of Central Florida, not high school.

I think A- may be a bit generous, but honestly, it's too soon to tell. Wieters was the consensus pick by all for us to take, so I'm not sure how much we should credit the team for taking him. I'm aware we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick...but you like to think you'd have a few people with a decent chance to make a MLB impact at some point. Aside from Wieters and Arrieta, I wouldn't feel confident saying that there's anyone in the entire draft class that will even make it to The Show. Comparatively, in 2008, I think there's a decent chance that Matusz, Avery, Hoes, Miclat, Joseph, Welty, Gamboa, as well as some of the younger arms make it to the Orioles one day.

Obviously, the Os put a lot of $ into Wieters and Arrieta and it's not bad if that's all we end up with considering the missing early round picks. I know JJ liked Bascom, Angle and Mahoney.

The disappointing aspect of this draft to me is the lack of HS picks and signs after the fifth round. No HS selection until Kolodny. I assume there was a budget in play from the Dynamic GM Duo, but it's clear AM quickly put in place a higher budget for potential overslot signings for slipping HS talent in 2008 and 2009 especially.

Obviously, the Os put a lot of $ into Wieters and Arrieta and it's not bad if that's all we end up with considering the missing early round picks. I know JJ liked Bascom, Angle and Mahoney.

The disappointing aspect of this draft to me is the lack of HS picks and signs after the fifth round. No HS selection until Kolodny. I assume there was a budget in play from the Dynamic GM Duo, but it's clear AM quickly put in place a higher budget for potential overslot signings for slipping HS talent in 2008 and 2009 especially.

If I remember correctly, Jordan's lack of high school selections in '07 was due to him having to take more signable players to fill out the Gulf Coast team, which had just started back up. It seemed like the 2007 draft, aside from the earlier rounds, was full of average college players who would come in and sign, and fill out the lower minors, and establish a GCL team.

Archived