MacPhail: O's willing to take "big-time" player in a salary dump

JTrea81

Here is my guess:

Aramis Ramirez

He's a Cub. That makes him attractive to MacPhail.

The Cubs are out of the race, 10 games back. 4th in the NL Central, 10 games under .500.

The Cubs have a $146M payroll this year. 3rd highest in the majors.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2010.

Ramirez is having a bad year. 217/277/406/683

He just turned 32 on June 25th.

He has driven in 100 runs 6 times.

His current salary is $15.75 this year.

He has a player option in 2011 for $14.6M. No way he doesn't pick that up after a bad year.

If he in traded and he exercises in 2011 option, his 2012 option for $16M becomes guaranteed. So when he picks up his 2011 option he really guaranteeing himself $30.6M over two years if he is traded.

Sound like a interesting target for MacPhail.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html

http://cubs.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=133380

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my guess:

Aramis Ramirez

He's a Cub. That makes him attractive to MacPhail.

The Cubs are out of the race, 10 games back. 4th in the NL Central, 10 games under .500.

The Cubs have a $146M payroll this year. 3rd highest in the majors.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2010.

Ramirez is having a bad year. 217/277/406/683

He just turned 32 on June 25th.

He has driven in 100 runs 6 times.

His current salary is $15.75 this year.

He has a player option in 2011 for $14.6M. No way he doesn't pick that up after a bad year.

If he in traded and he exercises in 2011 option, his 2012 option for $16M becomes guaranteed. So when he picks up his 2011 option he really guaranteeing himself $30.6M over two years if he is traded.

Sound like a interesting target for MacPhail.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html

http://cubs.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=133380

Ahh yes, players that couldn't cut it in possibly the worst division in baseball: Welcome to the AL East.

Ahh yes, players that couldn't cut it in possibly the worst division in baseball: Welcome to the AL East.

Aram has had OPS of 961, 926, 912, 915, 898 with the Cubs before having a bad year this year. If that is "not cutting it" then I think the O's could use some of the "not cutting it" performance.

Carlos Pena says hello.

The problem with this statement is that teams do not offer a market value contract to keep a Boras player, hence why said player doesn't stay.

If the Brewers were to come to Fielder with a 6/150 or 7/175 deal, you can bet he'll want to stay in Milwaukee. The 5/100 offer they made him isn't going to do it and they should have known that.

6/150-7/175 is way to much for Fielder. He is in now way worth more than Ryan Howard, or even close to Tex.

Some of the names being thrown around here are a little ridiculous.

Some of the guys could easily be dealt with no issues at all.

To truly get one of these guys, they have to be a player that appears to be declining and/or have a huge contract.

Zambrano, Soriano and Vernon Wells make a lot of sense here...but they are pretty poor options. I would be very worried that AM would make one of these stupid moves.

Ok.... it's be established that many of you are not in favor of grabbing a player off the waiver wire because he would be in the decline. So, I ask what do you propose as a solution to this problem? Currently this is the way I see things, please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

1. Our Major League roster doesn't have much talent on it obviously. We

have a few young building blocks to build around but that's about it.

2. Our minor league system doesn't have much talent either...especially the

lack of any hitting prospects. Britton is the only true pitching prospect

I'm hearing about.

3. The top tier free agents aren't going to sign with the Orioles. Some

would rather take less money and play for a team that has a chance to

win now.

4. Many of you believe we don't have the talent in our system to trade for

a big time hitter and/or aren't willing to part with who it would take to

get him (Arrieta, Matusz).

5. It's been established that claiming a Wells or Soriano off waivers isn't a

popular decision with the OH crowd.

With all of this said....what do you propose we do to turn the franchise around? Waiting to build this team through the draft would add another 5+ years of losing.

I agree with SG. A lot of you guys are way off. Some of the players mentioned could be traded, but AM is talking about picking a player off of waivers for nothing, other than salary relief. I actually don't see many of those players out there this year.

Travis Hafner is a guy I bet winds up on waivers in August.

11:$13M, 12:$13M, 13:$13M club option ($2.75M buyout)

Milton Bradley

11:$12M

Jack Wilson

11:$5M

Carlos Lee was a good guess.

11:$18.5M, 12:$18.5M

Prince Fielder is a Boras client. It would be a one year rental and the only way to purchase his services after the rental expires would be to hand over a contract that has almost no chance of working out in favor of the Baltimore Orioles franchise.

Exactly. And we also lose several of our most valuable young pitchers.

Aram has had OPS of 961, 926, 912, 915, 898 with the Cubs before having a bad year this year. If that is "not cutting it" then I think the O's could use some of the "not cutting it" performance.

Didn't mean it that way. Meant as a whole the Cubs couldn't cut it.

I'm ok with taking on A-Ram. I just don't want it to be THE big splash. You can't bank on a turnaround on A-Ram. So get him, get a first basemen then you're good.

I agree with SG. A lot of you guys are way off. Some of the players mentioned could be traded, but AM is talking about picking a player off of waivers for nothing, other than salary relief. I actually don't see many of those players out there this year.

Travis Hafner is a guy I bet winds up on waivers in August.

11:$13M, 12:$13M, 13:$13M club option ($2.75M buyout)

Milton Bradley

11:$12M

Jack Wilson

11:$5M

Carlos Lee was a good guess.

11:$18.5M, 12:$18.5M

Yea, these guys would also work.

Rios was actually a rarity. People didn't want him and that's fine...But he was still just a year or 2 removed from being very good, was still young and didn't have an absolutely crippling contract, like say the Vernon Wells deal.

Ramirez is actually catching fire now so the Cubs may not dump him.

He was 12-28 on a recent West Coast trip with 4 HR and 9 RBI.

And he's had 5 RBI, 3 2B and 1 HR thus far in the series with the Phillies.

Archived