MacPhail: O's willing to take "big-time" player in a salary dump

JTrea81

Earlier today, I heard Olney and/or Timmy K. say that he had spoken to some GMs and that no one had any money to spend. Maybe a team that does can get a much needed big bat, if it's willing to take on a lot salary.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a target is Berkman. If he isn't traded, Houston could wiave him. He has a one year $15M option. He should be good for 25 HR and 90-100 RBI's next season. After that we could be in the Fielder/AGonz FA sweepstakes.

I think a target is Berkman. If he isn't traded, Houston could wiave him. He has a one year $15M option. He should be good for 25 HR and 90-100 RBI's next season. After that we could be in the Fielder/AGonz FA sweepstakes.

He's also a 10 & 5 guy, and I doubt he wants to leave his home to come to this crappy team.

We are 11 days away from the non-waiver trade deadline, but for most players this year, it would seem the real deadline will be Aug. 31, because there are so few teams willing to take on money. A whole lot of marketable players could pass through waivers this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5394241

That's from Buster Olney's blog today. If he's right, we'll see if MacPhail was being truthful about his willingness to take on salary.

He's also a 10 & 5 guy, and I doubt he wants to leave his home to come to this crappy team.

If Houston waives him, would his 10&5 status even come into play if they didn't pull him back to work out a trade?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5394241

That's from Buster Olney's blog today. If he's right, we'll see if MacPhail was being truthful about his willingness to take on salary.

So the Orioles are going to become an older, more expensive team, filled with players who are probably going to suck, hence their being put on waivers/traded-as-salary-dumps in the first place.

Great.

So the Orioles are going to be come an older, more expensive team, filled with players who are probably going to suck, hence their being put on waivers/traded-as-salary-dumps in the first place.

Great.

No, he says they'll be willing to take on a good player with a big contract that a team may want to get out from under.

That doesn't always mean old, but it usually means at least a little bit disappointing.

Exploring these types of opportunities is incredibly smart, and its ridiculous to criticize them for that. Exactly what players become available and what their contract, age, and performance status is will have to reveal itself, but this is definitely something we should be exploring.

No, he says they'll be willing to take on a good player with a big contract that a team may want to get out from under.

That doesn't always mean old, but it usually means at least a little bit disappointing.

Exploring these types of opportunities is incredibly smart, and its ridiculous to criticize them for that. Exactly what players become available and what their contract, age, and performance status is will have to reveal itself, but this is definitely something we should be exploring.

I agree it needs to be done, but taking into account the O's track record in risk/reward moves, I am expecting nothing more than a few low-mid 30's players who's best years are clearly behind them.

Re: Kevin Millwood, Garrett Atkins, Julio Lugo, et al...

I don't think there's any question Olney's right. The Alex Rios type "opportunities" will be all-you-can-eat.

It's worth pointing out, however, that players with NTCs can reject waiver claims.

If he's waived he has no choice.
Apparently not, if Dave's right.

Archived