What If Tejada Is Traded?

JohnD

I would be very excited. The O's best chance of competing in the near future is to trade Tejada for 3 young players, and than use the $12 or so million per year you save to obtain a comparable bat. With as many holes as the O's have, they can do this and essentially turn Tejada into 4 players. I'd be excited.

????????

Comparable bat to Miguel Tejada???

Top 20 in MVP voting for the last 6 years. Over that span, averaging a staggering .291 BA, .498 SLG, 30.3 HR and 118.8 RBI a season.

Who exactly do you have in mind that is "comparable"?

Let's see . . . can't sign Vladimir Guerrero, can't sign Paul Konkerko, can't sign Carlos Delgado . . . What makes you think it is just so easy to sign a high caliber player that you are SO prepared to get rid of one of the best in the game?????????????????????????????????????????

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
attachment to greenies and steriods (B12)

Vitamin B12, also known as Cyanocobalamin, is an over the counter supplement. Not even remotely close to a steroid.

And if you are accusing him of taking steroids, you'd better explain the negative urine tests. Have proof before you questions somebody's honor. -rep points.

What the Marlins did was rape the team, give up on winning, kill fan enthusiasm in Florida, and make a mockery of baseball. It is a shame and an embarrassment. They don't deserve a franchise.

Look at the stockpile of young talent they put together though.

Their blue print looks pretty effective to me. Win the World Series, firesale, reload. Win the World Series, firesale, reload.

Who do you think has a better chance at winning a world series in the next few years, us or the Marlins.

Considering Miggy demanded a trade this past offseason and we would be doing him a favor by trading him to a contender, I don't think trading him will hurt our reputation with FA's.

That said, our rep is already terrible and it will be hard to attract major FA's who are being pursued by others regardless of Miggy's status.

I agree. Trading Miggy can't hurt our rep more than it already is.

Yes, trade him for two top prospects and another mid-ranger. Fahey takes over at SS.

But I said this in another thread yesterday...if the O's idea of "ML-ready talent" is getting back guys like Everett, Figgins, Erstad, then I'm completely done with this team. If it's getting guys like Wood, Kendrick, Pence, Hirsch, etc., then I'm completely on board.

I do agree with those who say we don't HAVE to completely start over. It's true, we don't. But to build a winner around Tejada, you have to spend the big $$ on guys like Schmidt, Lee, etc., and I just don't think that's realistic. I also don't think it's realistic to expect a completely homegrown rotation to compete next year. We have lots of talent, but we need time. Trading Tejada pushes the timeline back a little bit, which I think is OK.

But if we trade Tejada, we HAVE to get back blue-chippers.

Look at the stockpile of young talent they put together though.

Their blue print looks pretty effective to me. Win the World Series, firesale, reload. Win the World Series, firesale, reload.

Who do you think has a better chance at winning a world series in the next few years, us or the Marlins.

Above all else, honor.

Respect your fans, respect your players, respect the game. I'd rather a struggling franchise that does that than win at any cost.

Above all else, honor.

Respect your fans, respect your players, respect the game. I'd rather a struggling franchise that does that than win at any cost.

You've lost me. What exactly did the Marlins do to their fans that is so evil?

Whatever, they've done in regards to trading away expensive players, it pails in comparison to the lack of respect Peter Angelos has shown O's fans.

"Respect the Fans"

Continous off-season promises of doing whatever it takes, only to cave in and go with inferior cheap alternatives, is NOT respecting your fans.

Claiming to be small market, while sitting on a small fortune, investing little to none of it back into the franchise, is NOT respecting your fans.

Willingly allowing your home stadium to be taken over by our rival's fanbase, thus making it an awful gameday experience for the home fans, and not viewing this as a problem, is NOT respecting your fans.

"Respect the Game"

I can't see how we can preach about respecting the game while some of our past recognizable stars have steroids and DUI's that have put a black mark on our franchise. Sadly to say, we have no moral superiority regarding this issue, although we did take proper steps to rid the organization of its embarrassing players.

I don't know what organization you've been watching for the last decade, but good luck finding a Marlins fan, who'd trade places with an O's fan.

What the Marlins did was rape the team, give up on winning, kill fan enthusiasm in Florida, and make a mockery of baseball. It is a shame and an embarrassment. They don't deserve a franchise.

You call it a shame and an embarrassment.

Most folks call it a plan, and a pretty exciting one.

The O's should have one so good.

I would be very excited. The O's best chance of competing in the near future is to trade Tejada for 3 young players, and than use the $12 or so million per year you save to obtain a comparable bat. With as many holes as the O's have, they can do this and essentially turn Tejada into 4 players. I'd be excited.

This is about where I stand on the issue. Get the best young talent possible that is close to ML ready. Use the $38 mill that Tejada is owed over the next three years to woo a free agent hitter (it will probably be more expensive, but that's a start). We get more core pieces to add to our team and are closer to competing next year.

I think this strategy works best if we trade away as many aging (and superfluous) parts as we can. So getting rid of RLo, Javy, Hawkins, Benson, and Conine for the best prospects possible would increase our odds of finding at least league average players for our future teams.

Above all else, honor.

Are you a samurai or something?

W -- L -- pct

47 - 53 - .470 -- Marlins Record

47 - 56 - .456 -- Orioles Record

The Marlins didn't do anything wrong but form a plan and execute it. They took into account their best chances for winning in the future and went with it. They traded players, some good (Beckett), some terrible (Pierre), for lots of young talent and are playing pretty good ball now. Beats sitting around and twiddling your thumbs, waiting for something to happen.

The most dishonorable thing I can see is stringing your fans along with promises of action and then dashing their hopes by doing the same old unsuccessful things you have been doing.

Vitamin B12, also known as Cyanocobalamin, is an over the counter supplement. Not even remotely close to a steroid.

And if you are accusing him of taking steroids, you'd better explain the negative urine tests. Have proof before you questions somebody's honor. -rep points.

I wasn't accusing him of anything, I was saying he is in the center of a controversy and he has been mentioned in the whole steroid B12 shot controversy

in a word...relax

Above all else, honor.

My God your thinking is so backwards. I really hope Peter Angelos doesn't think most Oriole fans think this way.

Respect for the fans, players and game is shown when the Orioles play to win. Right now they have an owner that won't allow that to happen. I would give anything for the Orioles to have a plan and execute it as well as the Marlins have. I don't think the fans in Florida realize how great they have it.

Archived