What If Tejada Is Traded?

JohnD

Great point! +reps to you... This is a true dilemma. The fans have to re-gain confidence in the O's front office and ownership. That is the bottom-line. I think a trade will be viewed with a cross between apathy and objectivity because most of us don't believe the Orioles know what they are doing... and Tejada has lost his luster here in Baltimore due to all of the circumstances over the past season and off-season and the decline in his production/effort. It all depends on the trade.

I would not be surprised if someone in the organization asked that this thread be posted...;) to get feedback from the fans.

My answer to this dilemma...

The Orioles will attract free agents far more often when they start WINNING. We shouldn't have to bull**** players into coming here, they should WANT to come here to WIN. Right now we're going nowhere with Miguel Tejada. We're not even close, really. So it's time to restock, get some fresh, young talent in here and see what happens. If this organization actually starts to improve then it won't be considered a last option scenario for free agents.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My answer to this dilemma...

The Orioles will attract free agents far more often when they start WINNING. We shouldn't have to bull**** players into coming here, they should WANT to come here to WIN. Right now we're going nowhere with Miguel Tejada. We're not even close, really. So it's time to restock, get some fresh, young talent in here and see what happens. If this organization actually starts to improve then it won't be considered a last option scenario for free agents.

I think John Madden said, "Winning is a great deodorant"...

Trading Tejada will only help to increase our growing numbers of prospects. Personally I'd sell off as many major league parts of this team as I could with the exception of Bedard. If I could put the rest of the spare parts together and get as much cheap young talent as I could. Imagine the haul of prospects we may be able to acquire if we sent not only Tejada but Mora, B-Rob, Gibbons, Benson, Patterson and maybe even Hernandez, Cabrera and Ray if I can get teams to overpay. What the Marlins did was great for the franchise and makes it at least interesting while losing most of thier games. I can't find a reason to justify wasting my $'s anymore to watch this team, good bye Extra Innings.

Trading Tejada will only help to increase our growing numbers of prospects. Personally I'd sell off as many major league parts of this team as I could with the exception of Bedard. If I could put the rest of the spare parts together and get as much cheap young talent as I could. Imagine the haul of prospects we may be able to acquire if we sent not only Tejada but Mora, B-Rob, Gibbons, Benson, Patterson and maybe even Hernandez, Cabrera and Ray if I can get teams to overpay. What the Marlins did was great for the franchise and makes it at least interesting while losing most of thier games. I can't find a reason to justify wasting my $'s anymore to watch this team, good bye Extra Innings.

This is a bit extreme for me...

With the right player/prospects coming back, I would be excited.

Remember...the Tigers were even more horid than we are just a few short years ago. I would be excited to truly rebuild. I am only 47...hopefully I have a few more years in which to see the first Oriole WS without Jim Palmer...then again maybe we could do a Minny Minoso with Jimbo.

Imagine...Kakes and Cakes.

If we trade him to the Angels, I hope for one we get Kotchman back so I don't have to read 3 dozen posts by SG about what a bad deal it was:D

Been said a hundred times but here's 101: When the dust clears in a trade for Tejada, EVERY evaluation of it must say that the O's came out ahead but that the other team was willing to overpay b/c they wanted his bat NOW.

As far as FA's go, stick with Deepthroat and follow the money. If there's enough there, they'll show.

I think in the right deal it will be a great thing. I don't buy the thought of getting a free agent to come here. Especially when you got a couple guy's who you are paying league minimum at positions, and Tejada's salary off the books.

What if Tejada is traded?

We end up with a worse record next year than this season and we have nothing in terms of run producing RBI/HR guys besides a broken Jay Gibbons and an aging Melvin Mora.

The team isnt that far away from contending. The pitching is coming around...they just need to add peices around the core. Blowing this up now would only set us into another downward spiral.

Fact of the matter is, when Tejada was signed the O's were supposed to be a few years away from playoff contention and their arriving at 'strength'. This hasn't happened. Chronologically, this is the year you would have wanted the O's to be in the thick of a race (according to when they got Tejada).

So they have screwed it up. They are still years away from contention (at least two), so Tejada will be definitely on his downside and producing less than now. Perhaps not dramatically, but he is at his height of power now. And the O's are nowhere near ready to capitalize on it.

Thus, Tejada should be traded, but only for very, very strong prospects. Forget this current majors level player thing. They won't get that and a bucketful of good prospects. It's going to be a MLB-level player and a prospect or many prospects. I would hedge for many strong prospects and get a return at a few positions. Let me give you some O's prospects as a concept of what I mean by 'strong' - Penn and Loewen. That type of 'strong'.

And they need to get away from this 'overwhelmed' garbage. No GM is going to overwhelm a team for a trade, as if they had an endless supply of players and prospects. Ridiculous. This is just O's FO-speak for 'we ain't gonna trade Miguel'.

It is absolutely obvious that the O's FO screwed up the timing of the original signing and where the O's were on the rebuilding timetable. Inexcusable, really.

But my biggest fear is that the FO is just completely incapable of pulling anything off that will capitalize on Tejada. They are just a miserable bunch of traders.

Within the last two weeks I've done a complete 180 on this issue. I used to think we should keep Tejada but I'm now convinced that we should trade him. If we could get a package of prospects like those being discussed from the Angels I'd be all for it. I don't think we are going anywhere with Tejada this year or next. If we brought in the likes of Woods, Kendick Kotchman,Aybar etc. we could couple them with our young pitching and become very exciting. As a result of some smart deals this year the Marlins are well on their way to reloading again. Tejada is the only piece we have to accelerate that process for us.

If we get major league-ready grade A prospects (ie Wood/Kendrick/etc) for Tejada I will be ecstatic. I think it will signify an important turning point for the franchise.

As they say, however, past performance is indicative of future results. I have no confidence they will make a good decision here.

Remember...the Tigers were even more horid than we are just a few short years ago. I would be excited to truly rebuild. I am only 47...hopefully I have a few more years in which to see the first Oriole WS without Jim Palmer...then again maybe we could do a Minny Minoso with Jimbo.

Imagine...Kakes and Cakes.

It's true, I admit I hadn't thought about that route. The Tigers overpaid for Fernando Vina, Troy Percival, Ivan Rodriguez, Ugeth Urbina and Magglio Ordonez and Kenny Rogers because they had to to get them to come. They also made a risky trades in getting Carlos Guillen and Kyle Farnsworth. When Fansworth didn't work out they shipped him off. They traded Urbina for Polanco and developed a few of their own guys into role players; Granderson, Thames, Inge, Shelton. They allowed their young arms to keep developing and waited for them to peak. This was frustrating to the fans to watch I'm sure and I don't know if I can watch while they work through the Vina and Percival type signings here.

It's obvious he's being talked about. So what if he's dealt for a bunch of prospects who are anywhere from ML read to a year or two away? What does it signify to you as an Orioles fan? And would it make you more excited for the future, or would it bring more frustration as a fan?

Good question John.

I think to me it would represent confusion / concession on the Orioles part. They've explained that after last season they believed the team was very close to being a contender. In the organization's view, the offense and atmosphere was limited just by a few bad seeds (who were removed in place of positive characters, mission accomplished), and the pitching was ready to gel into one of the league's best rotations. No upgrades were needed there, as all the pieces were in place to dominate.

It sounds funny saying that now, but that is exactly what they had in mind and it should be mentioned that it's also exactly what was heard around here for many months. (Especially the part about our soon to be excellent rotation under the tutelage of the wonder worker from Atlanta).

So while it all turned out to be wrong, that is quite an excited mindset to have as an organization. They thought they almost had this thing figured out. And to go from that to trading away your best player is a massive leap in mentality. I think we here at the hangout make that leap pretty casually, but the club is much, much slower to move and change it's opinion. Trading Tejada doesn't just say "we were wrong about a few players", it says "we were wrong about damn near everything, and we need to rebuild from the ground up". I don't think they're nearing that level of approach / commitment yet.

My hope is they don't trade Tejada, but rather realize that they need to more properly build around him. Then we can have a real offseason and compete sooner.

It's obvious he's being talked about. So what if he's dealt for a bunch of prospects who are anywhere from ML read to a year or two away? What does it signify to you as an Orioles fan? And would it make you more excited for the future, or would it bring more frustration as a fan?

The Orioles need to build around great players, not trade them away for a bunch of maybes. Let's keep Miguel, fill in our holes in LF and 1st and let our pitching develop. We don't need to start over.

Archived