2010 Orioles Draft Wrap

Good stuff, very thorough on a lot of these guys, even a few who I considered nothing more than organizational filler(Nowak) who actually have some skills and tools. My only question is with Bridwell's velocity. I saw you mentioned that he is a high 80's pitcher. Did you mean thats where he sits or tops out? Bridwell I thought touched 91/92 MPH. I was also surprised to see you say Vader being almost filled out being that he is 6'4 174. But maybe he is like Purke, and more just thin than projectable....

Good stuff, very thorough on a lot of these guys, even a few who I considered nothing more than organizational filler(Nowak) who actually have some skills and tools. My only question is with Bridwell's velocity. I saw you mentioned that he is a high 80's pitcher. Did you mean thats where he sits or tops out? Bridwell I thought touched 91/92 MPH. I was also surprised to see you say Vader being almost filled out being that he is 6'4 174. But maybe he is like Purke, and more just thin than projectable....

Sits upper-80s. I seldom use topping-out numbers, particularly for high school kids, because it tends to get misconstrued by readers. I was at Wrigley this weekend and one arm on the Reds travel team was 87-88 for most of his inning but hit 90 and 91 twice each. But three of the four pitches were about shoulder high and the fourth was helmet high. So is it really relevant that he can dial it up to there if he can only do it that high up in the zone?

Anyway, it's helpful to know that a player can touch a certain velocity, particularly when you can project that there might be more velo in there, but I thought it would be inaccurate to say that Bridwell was a low-90s arm when that is not the impression I have of him yet.

Re: Vader. Measurements I was given were around 6-3/6-4, 190. He'll definitely get stronger as he matures. If he actually is 175, there is probably a little more in there than I gave credit for. I'd describe his frame as medium-broad; already filling-in trunk and starting to fill-in chest.

Stotle, nice work as always. Thanks!

The only question for me is with David Richardson. Is he a pitcher as they have used him this year, or is he an OF? They listed him as an OF when they drafted him, and your notes are of his position player attributes.

Stotle, nice work as always. Thanks!

The only question for me is with David Richardson. Is he a pitcher as they have used him this year, or is he an OF? They listed him as an OF when they drafted him, and your notes are of his position player attributes.

He went both ways at HCC but was highly ineffective off the mound (which is why I focused on his positional game). I don't know enough about his stuff to speak with any authority as to whether he has the raw tools to mold into a useful arm. He has arm strength, but he walked a batter an inning and allowed 26 hits in around 16 IP, for whatever those raw stats are worth. Maybe Tony has more info directly from the team.

Archived