Millar Rally Cry Last Night

OdeToMaybe33

I have to say I'm not really that upset about this. It doesn't mean he isn't going to play his best for us or not want our team to win. I'm sure if he had to chose between the O's making the playoffs and the Red Sox winning the World Series he would choose us making the playoffs (while hes on the team).

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But when he was talking on XM Ch 175, he also addressed Boston as "we".

I agree it's wrong for him to use "we" about the current Red Sox while he's on another team. That's not right.

However, I don't think he did anything wrong while playing the game. He played well vs. BOS during the season. It's only after his season is over that he screwed up.

I don't think that means he's a bad person, or a bad teammate, or a bad anything. I think it means that, after his season was over, he screwed up. If we put aside his age, etc., and just focus on the kind of guy he is, he's the kind of person I'd like to have on my team: on the field, in the dugout, and in the clubhouse. His post-season word snafu doesn't change that (for me, anyway).

Imagine if Johnny U screwed up like this when he was with the Chargers, and made a reference to the Baltimore Colts as "we". Or if Boog did it about the O's after he went to CLE. I don't think anybody would think that was a big crime. A screw-up maybe, but not a crime. Face it, that 2004 year was the all-time highlight of his professional life. People there still love him for it. So, while he screwed up, I'm not gonna carry a grudge about it. Everybody can think what they like, but I think people are being too thin-skinned about this.

I see no problem with him publicly supporting the Sox. He was on their team, he was a big part of the team's chemistry, and he still has a lot of buddies over there. That part I'm fine with.

The "we" part is pretty bad, though. Kevin, you aren't playing for Boston anymore. "We" means the Orioles and "we" don't have crap. I don't think it's disgraceful, but it is a bit of a slight to his CURRENT team to refer to another team as "we". Kevin really should apologize for that.

I listened several times carefully and in the reference to his walk leading to the first of 4 wins against the MFY's it was *we*, but in the litany of things going for the Sox it was *you* got the bloody sock ,etc. not we.

I agree it's wrong for him to use "we" about the current Red Sox while he's on another team. That's not right.

However, I don't think he did anything wrong while playing the game. He played well vs. BOS during the season. It's only after his season is over that he screwed up.

I don't think that means he's a bad person, or a bad teammate, or a bad anything. I think it means that, after his season was over, he screwed up. If we put aside his age, etc., and just focus on the kind of guy he is, he's the kind of person I'd like to have on my team: on the field, in the dugout, and in the clubhouse. His post-season word snafu doesn't change that (for me, anyway).

Imagine if Johnny U screwed up like this when he was with the Chargers, and made a reference to the Baltimore Colts as "we". Or if Boog did it about the O's after he went to CLE. I don't think anybody would think that was a big crime. A screw-up maybe, but not a crime. Face it, that 2004 year was the all-time highlight of his professional life. People there still love him for it. So, while he screwed up, I'm not gonna carry a grudge about it. Everybody can think what they like, but I think people are being too thin-skinned about this.

Listen again RShack. He says YOU got Papi, you got Schilling, etc. He didn't flub the wording.

Listen again RShack. He says YOU got Papi, you got Schilling, etc. He didn't flub the wording.

Who cares about the wording?! It was a shoot-from-the-hip rant! I don't think he even thought about what pronouns to use. Stop with the grammar lesson and look at the big picture.

The XM interview was during the season.

Who cares about the wording?! It was a shoot-from-the-hip rant! I don't think he even thought about what pronouns to use. Stop with the grammar lesson and look at the big picture.

The big picture is that the Sox are in it and he O's aren't, and anything Kevin Millar says to "cheer the Red Sox on" has no bearing on the Orioles. What money is it generating for the Red Sox? Is Kevin Millar cheering them on going to actually change how the players are going to play, affect the outcome in some way? Even if it does, does it affect the O's?

If the Orioles were still playing games and he was cheering on the Red Sox, I'd be pissed. But as it stands, the Orioles had a dismal season, and Kevin Millar can root for whomever he wants, for all I care.

Look at the big picture, and tell me how this really affects anything to do with the Orioles, aside from maybe Millar losing some O's fans who liked him before this stunt.

The big picture is that the Sox are in it and he O's aren't, and anything Kevin Millar says to "cheer the Red Sox on" has no bearing on the Orioles. What money is it generating for the Red Sox? Is Kevin Millar cheering them on going to actually change how the players are going to play, affect the outcome in some way? Even if it does, does it affect the O's?

If the Orioles were still playing games and he was cheering on the Red Sox, I'd be pissed. But as it stands, the Orioles had a dismal season, and Kevin Millar can root for whomever he wants, for all I care.

Look at the big picture, and tell me how this really affects anything to do with the Orioles, aside from maybe Millar losing some O's fans who liked him before this stunt.

Well, that's one masicistic way of looking at it I guess.

The fact is, Millar is an Oriole. I don't know for how much longer, but he is at the moment, and NO baseball player should advertise for any team other than his own. Call me old school if you want. I don't think this has ever happened before, and I don't think it WOULD happen if it weren't the Boston Red Sox. And any type of positive publicity generated through advertising will potentially lead to revenue. That's kind of what ads are for.

Maybe it's the result of 10 straight losing seasons that you're willing to accept this as normal. I for one still love my crappy team, and I don't appreciate my players supporting one of our rivals.

This has gone a bit overboard. As was already mentioned, this just reminds me of Dempsey coming back for the last game at Memorial Stadium. In a way, he was the "Rick Dempsey" of those Red Sox teams. If the O's had made the playoffs any of the years while Rick was still playing, I guarantee you he would have referred to the O's as "we" in a promo like that - maybe even an interview.

Before we send the hounds after Millar, lets put this in it's proper perspective. If the roles were reversed and this was a former Oriole coming back to help get the Baltimore fans fired up the Hangout would be littered with "Gosh isn't (Insert Players Name) just the coolest" threads.

Now, if he ever openly roots for the Red Sox while they are in direct competition with the O's (...I know that's a big leap...) for a playoff spot then we have a different story.

Archived