Who is the #1 and #2 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who is the #1 and #2 prospect?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #1 and #2 prospect?

• 1. Zach Britton and 2. Manny Machado
    • 1. Manny Machado 2. Zach Britton
    • 1. Wynn Pelzer 2. Tyler Stampone (that's for Hank)

This one was actually closer for me than some people probably realize, but in the end, I had to go with the guy I would rather have if I could only have one. But man, this was hard because I really, really like both of these guys!!! For me this is really 1 and 1a.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one was actually closer for me than some people probably realize, but in the end, I had to go with the guy I would rather have if I could only have one. But man, this was hard because I really, really like both of these guys!!! For me this is really 1 and 1a.

That seems very fair to me. There's a good chance both these guys will be in the BA top 25 when their top 100 list comes out.

I can't find the OH 11-20 from 2006, but my recollection is that you ranked Britton somewhere in the top 15 despite a mediocre season at Bluefield. From there, he's been 10th, 9th and 2nd. So, obviously you've always liked him, and he's justified whatever ranking you gave him by his performance the following year. It's no wonder this is a tough call.

That seems very fair to me. There's a good chance both these guys will be in the BA top 25 when their top 100 list comes out.

I can't find the OH 11-20 from 2006, but my recollection is that you ranked Britton somewhere in the top 15 despite a mediocre season at Bluefield. From there, he's been 10th, 9th and 2nd. So, obviously you've always liked him, and he's justified whatever ranking you gave him by his performance the following year. It's no wonder this is a tough call.

Britton has been my guy for a long time. Before BA and others jumped on his bandwagon, I was on him. Of course I have to give partial credit to Joe Jordan for getting me excited about him before I saw him pitch for the first time in Aberdeen. Joe has been excited about him since the day he drafted him and has been telling everyone who would listen that he saw something special in this kid.

I know Joe gets some heat for his Rowell over Lincecum pick, and as one of the guys who loved Lincecum and sent a report in on him, it pains me as well, but he certainly got Britton right and although he may not be Lincecum, if Joe had taken Britton instead of Rowell with that first pick it wouldn't look half as bad.

In fact, if you look at Britton, Berken, and perhaps Adams and Beato, that 2006 draft looks to have one star, one solid contributor and two guys with a major league future.

In fact, if you look at Britton, Berken, and perhaps Adams and Beato, that 2006 draft looks to have one star, one solid contributor and two guys with a major league future.

Even so, Britton is going to have to shine as a major leaguer for the 2006 draft to be considered anything less than a big disappointment. I've been doing a lot of research on drafts and player yields this winter. The average team produces 7 major league debuts a year - 3 hitters, 4 pitchers. Of those, 2-3 will have at least 350 games as a hitter, or 150 appearances/50 starts as a pitcher. So, if only 4 guys from the 2006 draft class reach the majors, we are falling behind unless a couple of those 4 have a significant impact.

I should note that for many teams, of the 7 players who debut, maybe 2 of them were never drafted at all, but came from foreign signings. So, it's not like the draft has to yield 7 players a year, if your international operations are productive. But in the case of the Orioles, it's not like our system is chock-full of foreign guys who are likely to reach the majors. In the last 5 years we've debuted only two foreign players who were developed in our system -- Radhames Liz and Sendy Rleal.

In a fangraphs prospect chat, they said Britton had a higher ceiling than matusz because GBs are better than FBs. Love Machado but all things being equal you have to give it to the guy who has proven a lot in the minors and is much closer to ML ready. Doesn't really matter though, it's great having both of them.

Britton will be the only member of the top ten drafted before 2008. That says much about the quality of the pre-08 drafts and the Orioles' player development system. Some of these kids will make MLB but it will be a while because they are so young.

Britton will be the only member of the top ten drafted before 2008. That says much about the quality of the pre-08 drafts and the Orioles' player development system. Some of these kids will make MLB but it will be a while because they are so young.

To be fair, the 2007 draft already produced Wieters and Arrieta. That was a very good draft, especially when you consider that we had no 2nd or 3rd round pick!

I don't pop on the minors board very often.... you guys really think Machado is #1?

I mean... if you even put him top 10, I would be encouraged. But #1? Are you saying like in two full years he could be THE man? At SS?

I will wait for what Tony has to say, but I don't think Tony expects Machado to be our starting SS in 2013.

I will wait for what Tony has to say, but I don't think Tony expects Machado to be our starting SS in 2013.

I think Machado will be on a very quick schedule so I would not put 2013 out of the question. I could see Delmarva/Fred 2011, Bowie 2012, starts 2013 in Norfolk. I could see him in Baltimore by his 21st birthday if he does well. @014 is probably a more realistic goal, but I could see him logging time in 2013.

WADR to you and Tony's pending opinion... what is the point then? Why is Machado #1? Is he a legit 3b POWER prospect? A good power SS? 1B?

To me... if he's not our killer SS of the future, he's pretty much a bust...

WADR to you and Tony's pending opinion... what is the point then? Why is Machado #1? Is he a legit 3b POWER prospect? A good power SS? 1B?

He turned 18 in July and has played 9 minor league games. To be in the majors in 2 years would be rather miraculous. Put it this way, Britton's the no. 2 prospect and he's been in the minors for 4+ seasons. So yeah, we expect Machado to be a killer SS of the future, but "the future" probably doesn't mean 2013.

I think you missed the point. I believe Frobby was thinking Machado might not be in Baltimore by 2013, not that he can't be a starting SS.

I also disagree with the fact that he has to be a SS or bust. Certainly his top tier value is if he can stay at SS, no doubt, but if he becomes an everyday power hitting 3Bman, I don't think the Orioles will be upset with that.

Archived