Looking Ahead To Florida State

JohnD

I can't remember' date=' but I'm pretty sure they wore the black unis the night they beat FSU in 2006. It was a cold and very windy late-Oct evening...I remember that part most of all because I was there. Anyway, the Terps led most of the game but FSU scored late and was down by only 3 late in the 4th. They drove into FG range with less than a minute left, but Jeremy Navarre blocked an FSU FG attempt to seal it for the Terps.

Actually, after some research, they were wearing black two weeks after that FSU game when they beat Miami 14-13 on Nov 11, 2006.[/quote']

Ahh, 2006...what a year. That was the year that slingin' Sammy Hollenbach led us to a win over the mighty Purdue Boilermakers in the Champs Sports bowl in everyone's favorite resort city Orlando, FL.

Make it out to Autzen at all this year?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh, 2006...what a year. That was the year that slingin' Sammy Hollenbach led us to a win over the mighty Purdue Boilermakers in the Champs Sports bowl in everyone's favorite resort city Orlando, FL.

Make it out to Autzen at all this year?

No...I have yet to go to a game in Autzen. But how about the beatdown the Beavs put on USC tonight? Just when I thought they had quit on their season, they take the Trojans to the woodshed....and probably ended Matt Barkley's season.

No...I have yet to go to a game in Autzen. But how about the beatdown the Beavs put on USC tonight? Just when I thought they had quit on their season' date=' they take the Trojans to the woodshed....and probably ended Matt Barkley's season.[/quote']

If you haven't been to Autzen, you're missing out. Great, GREAT game day experience.

I saw Barkley got hurt and was relieved by Mustain. What happened to Barkley? Man, has Mustain's star fallen or what?

I'm telling you the Civil War game will be nuts. OSU will be ready for Oregon, Riley is one of the most underrated coaches in college football.

As far as the Terps, I have higher expectations for them. IMO, there's no reason why they can't contend in the Atlantic division every year and win it maybe every 2-3 years. FSU will always be tough but NC State, Clemson and BC are not in any better position than MD.

If you haven't been to Autzen, you're missing out. Great, GREAT game day experience.

I saw Barkley got hurt and was relieved by Mustain. What happened to Barkley? Man, has Mustain's star fallen or what?

I'm telling you the Civil War game will be nuts. OSU will be ready for Oregon, Riley is one of the most underrated coaches in college football.

As far as the Terps, I have higher expectations for them. IMO, there's no reason why they can't contend in the Atlantic division every year and win it maybe every 2-3 years. FSU will always be tough but NC State, Clemson and BC are not in any better position than MD.

It was an ankle injury to Barkley....and I thought I heard high-ankle sprain (not sure cause I was watching MD-FSU at the same time). But that injury usually takes several weeks to heal, and since USC isn't eligible for a bowl game, I assume Barkley won't be able to play in the last 2 games these next 2 weeks....hence his season would be over. But I could be totally wrong on the diagnosis.

I'd like to get to a game in Autzen someday. Last week I was ready to write off the Civil War as a cakewalk for U of O. But OSU showed some real heart and soul tonight, and I know they will be looking for some payback after the Ducks knocked them out of the Rose Bowl for 2 straight years. Should be fun. Which is why I like being in Oregon for college football season. It's a lot of fun to have 2 rivals in the state that both play at high levels. It's something that is missing in Maryland....and I just don't think Navy will ever be a rival for the Terps.

If you look at the big picture, I think MD is a team whose ceiling is one of a team can contend for the ACC title from time to time....certainly more often than they have. But they just haven't shown it under Friedgen. I understand and agree with those who say it was the right thing to do to bring him back next season, for numerous reasons that I have already stated. But it will be very interesting to see what happens after next season. I think Kevin Anderson understands that they need to sell a lot more season tickets and skyboxes to generate revenues, and the only way that will happen is by winning. The Terps have some good pieces in place, starting with O'Brien. But they are weak on both lines of scrimmage, especially offensively....and you need that to win against good teams. So the question is, how good do the Terps have to do if Fridge is to get an extension? How good do they have to do if James Franklin is to assume his place as head coach? Or how bad do they have to do for UM to send both Fridge and Franklin on their way and start all over? :scratchchinhmm:

The Terps have a difficult decision to make next offseason. You would have to assume the Fridge deserves to come back next year given what he has done for the program and the nice turnaround the team has made. Credit also has to be given to Franklin since he is a good lead recruiter and was the most influential person in bringing Danny O'Brien to Maryland. He also has been doing a fine job at OC this year after an awful performance last season. It would be a tough pill to swallow to see him take a million and walk away. Time management seems to be an issue, especially late in the first half last night and that falls on the head coach. My take is that Fridge comes back next year and Franklin takes over the following year. A year ago I would have fired them both, but they have made respectable strides this year. I think its going to be a messy breakup but most of them are anyway.

You know, Maryland came up short, but the future looks real bright with Danny O'Brien under center. Great game despite the ending... Maryland did a good job overall, despite being hosed by a terrible call, and despite still needing a few playmakers on the defensive line.

I don't have a rooting interest for or against Maryland, but I agree with this. I watched the game Saturday, and came away somewhat impressed by Maryland, of course I didn't have much expectations for them. They have a very solid QB, who looks like he could be a good one. They play hard, and swarm to the ball defensively. I agree that the D-line was a little light. But, they look like a team that could compete for ACC championships in the near future.

Archived