Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

LaRoche is uninspiring but if Konerko and Lee doesn't want to come here, I can support a 1-2 year signing. He will certainly be a step up from Wigginton, though he is probably the definition of a league average starting first baseman or slightly worse. This article makes a good case for letting the market percolate. LaRoche, Berkman and Overbay are pretty similar and there may be value in playing all three players off each other, and signing whichever player would agree to a 1-year deal with an option. I am hesitant to put Pena in the same lineup as Reynolds, he would cost more, and he doesn't seem interested in coming to Baltimore anyway so I excluded him from this discussion. I also wouldn't trade for Willingham because I'm not sure that he is that much of an upgrade from the other available options to justify giving up the players it would take to get him.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they add LaRoche is they would look to trade Scott OR at least go get a righty bat for LF?

I really hope they aren't penciling in Reimold as the righty bat for LF. I doubt Buck would but if they do this such a mistake. If you sign LaRoche you basically get Luke Scott, I believe, with better defense at 1B. So I agree they should be looking to send Scott to someone, perhaps for the veteran pitcher they have been rumored to want.

LaRoche is uninspiring but if Konerko and Lee doesn't want to come here, I can support a 1-2 year signing. He will certainly be a step up from Wigginton, though he is probably the definition of a league average starting first baseman or slightly worse. This article makes a good case for letting the market percolate. LaRoche, Berkman and Overbay are pretty similar and there may be value in playing all three players off each other, and signing whichever player would agree to a 1-year deal with an option. I am hesitant to put Pena in the same lineup as Reynolds, he would cost more, and he doesn't seem interested in coming to Baltimore anyway so I excluded him from this discussion.

Didn't Berkman sign with the Cards?

Did anyone else here the Nats are going hard after Cliff Lee, May offer him insane money and years?

I'm sure they are offering the 7 year offer we've heard about.

The Nats are going to have our 1995-1996 offseason it seems.

The O's are going to have to watch out because the Nats could steal a bunch more fans next season.

He wouldn't be a terrible opition honestly. I prefer Lee because of Lee's D and ability to hit lefty pitching on a strong level but Laroche wouldn't kill me. With short, I prefer Hardy but if we can get Bartlett for really cheap from TB then I'd be ok with it. Bartlett does have some decent speed at least.

I'd be very surprised if LaRoche settled for less than 3 years, and I could see him getting even more. I think he's a little underrated and I would be quite happy if the O's signed him for 3 years. My prediction is that somebody signs him for 3/24-30. I hope it's the Orioles on the low end.

Bartlett. Meh.

Considering we have little in the minors at 1B, it wouldn't hurt anything to have a 3 year deal.

I'm sure they are offering the 7 year offer we've heard about.

The Nats are going to have our 1995-1996 offseason it seems.

The O's are going to have to watch out because the Nats could steal a bunch more fans next season.

If that happens the Orioles only have themselves to blame.

I really hope they aren't penciling in Reimold as the righty bat for LF. I doubt Buck would but if they do this such a mistake. If you sign LaRoche you basically get Luke Scott, I believe, with better defense at 1B. So I agree they should be looking to send Scott to someone, perhaps for the veteran pitcher they have been rumored to want.

I don't think they are but I am expecting a very nice bounce back season from Reimold this year.

Archived