Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

Actually Prince looks like he is dropping some weight in Japan.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/your-prince-fielder-photo-of-the-day/

Probably because the Japanese version of a vegan diet doesn't include corndogs.

That's good to hear, because one in-game photo of him I saw floating around recently on a different Fielder thread made him look like a jelly twist sporting a toothpick.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if we are willing to pay the most for him, what's the problem?

We need his bat next year, not just in 2012.

If you want to go after him after 2011 and have every intention to sign him, why not acquire him early when there is no competition?

You trade for him, you get him and he has no choice but to play for Baltimore.

What is the difference between trading for him now and extending him, or trading for him and then re-signing him?

Because you're assuming that he will re-sign or extend with us. That's a bet you're making with a lot of young talent. If he doesn't then we just got a rental player when we're not ready to contend and lost talent for the privilege. This seems like OH 101 to me, but maybe I'm the only one.

What he said...

If you look at the contract that CLee signed, he actually did sign for the most money. However he went where he wanted to go all along, imo.

I am not comfortable seeing Baltimore get on board with giving out these insane contracts, and a guy like Prince does not make it any more palatable.He really may be in good shape, but man, he makes me look like a marathon runner.

I actually don't have access to the contract. But the folks at ESPN said the Yankees offered quite a bit more than what Lee signed for.

I actually don't have access to the contract. But the folks at ESPN said the Yankees offered quite a bit more than what Lee signed for.

I believe it was the Yankees offered more money in total dollars of the contract, but Lee will get more money per year but less total money....

I really was not trying to be snarky, but most people are saying Lee left a lot of money on the table, and he realy did not.

He signed a deal for 5 years 120 mil, with an option for the 6th year at 27 or so mil., so if he gets the 6th year it turns out to be around 147 mil, which is really close to what the Yankees were reported to offer.

Of course Fielder is going to lose weight.

Its a contract year and he wants to make it look like he is changing himself.

However, will that continue after he signs the contract?

No way I give Fielder the kind of money it will take to keep him long term. Invest in the scouting both domestically and here at h ome. Don't think fielder will stay in shape long term:vader:

I really was not trying to be snarky, but most people are saying Lee left a lot of money on the table, and he realy did not.

He signed a deal for 5 years 120 mil, with an option for the 6th year at 27 or so mil., so if he gets the 6th year it turns out to be around 147 mil, which is really close to what the Yankees were reported to offer.

Per Cots':

5 years/$120M (2011-15), plus 2016 option

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/14/10

16:$27.5M option ($12.5M buyout)

option becomes guaranteed with 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-15

limited no-trade protection

So that looks like 5/120 with a possible 6/147.5 or a 5/132 w buyout.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XFNtXbkelM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XFNtXbkelM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Per Cots':

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/14/10

16:$27.5M option ($12.5M buyout)

option becomes guaranteed with 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-15

limited no-trade protection

So that looks like 5/120 with a possible 6/147.5 or a 5/132 w buyout.

Just wondering if you remember what the Yankees were reported as offering? I want to say it really was not much different from what he actually signed for. I guess when they threw the 7th year on, it did change.

It has surely been said already, but I don't see the point in mortgaging what Andy has built (the likes of Britton, Matusz, and Tillman) for one guaranteed year of Fielder. And even if Buck does right the ship this year (75+ wins) and Fielder wants to stay, is he really worth 20+mil a year? If you are going to go after him, it can wait til' next winter or the trade deadline if the O's are magically really, really in it at the break. but even then I don't see the prospects needed to obtain him being justified. The O's young staff isn't tailored/ready for the postseason, even with solid to great years from 3-5 guys. The time to go hard after Fielder would be for the 2011-12 season. Maybe if he sees that the O's have tried trading for him and are willing to throw him what he wants, then he'll be more inclined to come here, but I only see that happening with a .500 record or better. Sorry if this post is like the beating of a dead horse. lol

So why can't we just use our money, and save our assets, to acquire Fielder next year. Why give up Tillman and co. to have Fielder this year when we can just sign him next year?

How has that worked out for us so far?

Players that haven't played in Baltimore want no business being on what they percieve as a team with no chance.

Archived