CBSSports: Hardy & Harris for Hoey & Jacobson a done deal

hoosiers

Anyone know whereabouts our payroll for next year currently is?

I asked in another thread and AB answered that we could sign a 1B and some relievers and get to around $80M. Picking up Harris might push that closer to $85M. I would like to see a good analysis of the projected payroll as well.

It could be a pretty good $80+M team, IMO, but I see no reason to settle for that if superstars are available and the budget is closer to $100M - don't know, just saying - but we did have big $ on the table for VMart.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figure it this way:

$33 MM after adding Reynolds

17 MM (approx) Guthrie, Scott, Jones, Pie

5 MM Uehara

6 MM Hardy

1.5 MM Harris

5 MM various league minimums

So, $68 MM more or less although I could be off a bit on the three arb-eligibles and the total number of the pre-arb guys.

Figure we add a first baseman (or DH and Scott to first) and a reliever or 2 for a total of 12-15 million. I would be very surprised if the payroll was under 80 million at this point.

I'm going to wait to turn somersaults until Hardy demonstrates he can play in more than 140 games. That being said, MacPhail may have finally proven that he can trade for, as well as trade away, promising, ML talent. Reynolds, IMO, will wind up being huge for us in 2011, and I'm optimistic about (a healthy) Hardy.

And now I'm going to take this a step further (in a direction that wont be popular): Andy, you can stop now.

Thus far we've managed to get a lot back while giving up almost nothing. I'd love to trade for an impact, 1B bat, but doing so would almost certainly cost us every redundancy (read: safety valve) we have left in the system. At this point I'd be willing to let Luke, or even Reimold, attempt to hold down 1B in anticipation of making a huge money-run at a FA next winter. I don't think we'll go to the playoffs in 2011, but I think we've made enough noise to be troublemakers...and I'm OK with that.

I figure it this way:

$33 MM after adding Reynolds

17 MM (approx) Guthrie, Scott, Jones, Pie

5 MM Uehara

6 MM Hardy

1.5 MM Harris

6 MM various league minimums

So, $69 MM more or less although I could be off a bit on the three arb-eligibles and the total number of the pre-arb guys.

Good stuff.

Let's get Lee and Lee and push the payroll to $110M and we are no longer bringing knives to gunfights.

I am thrilled to have Hardy on this club though I am not all that wild of having Harris on our 25 or 40 man roster. I have to wonder if we are going to package Harris with a rule 5 grab and maybe another piece to pull of another trade sometime tomorrow.

Figure we add a first baseman (or DH and Scott to first) and a reliever or 2 for a total of 12-15 million. I would be very surprised if the payroll was under 80 million at this point.

Moving Scott to 1B might do it, depending on who they signed to DH.

I agree, though, $85MM is probably closer to it.

But I think they must've been prepared for this, given the offer to VMart.

I'm going to wait to turn somersaults until Hardy demonstrates he can play in more than 140 games. That being said, MacPhail may have finally proven that he can trade for, as well as trade away, promising, ML talent. Reynolds, IMO, will wind up being huge for us in 2011, and I'm optimistic about (a healthy) Hardy.

And now I'm going to take this a step further (in a direction that wont be popular): Andy, you can stop now.

Thus far we've managed to get a lot back while giving up almost nothing. I'd love to trade for an impact, 1B bat, but doing so would almost certainly cost us every redundancy (read: safety valve) we have left in the system. At this point I'd be willing to let Luke, or even Reimold, attempt to hold down 1B in anticipation of making a huge money-run at a FA next winter. I don't think we'll go to the playoffs in 2011, but I think we've made enough noise to be troublemakers...and I'm OK with that.

I think a successful season in 2011 would do wonders for player perceptions on coming to the O's. If they win 80-85 games, I bet guys will come back to the O's to negotiate further rather than use the O's bid as a negotiating ploy with another team.

I think a successful season in 2011 would do wonders for player perceptions on coming to the O's. If they win 80-85 games, I bet guys will come back to the O's to negotiate further rather than use the O's bid as a negotiating ploy with another team.

Depending on how the bullpen shakes out, I think we have a decent shot at 80-85 wins. A lot of stuff needs to go "right," but it's more than possible.

Depending on how the bullpen shakes out, I think we have a decent shot at 80-85 wins. A lot of stuff needs to go "right," but it's more than possible.

Just the slightest disagreement... we don't need things to go right really, we just need things to not go decidedly wrong like they did this past year. This is looking great!

C Wieters (400K)

1B Lee (8m) *PROJECTED*

2B Roberts (10m)

3B Reynolds (5m)

SS Hardy (6m)

LF Pie (400K)

CF Jones (2.5m)

RF Markakis (10.6m)

DH Scott (6.5m)

C/CI Fox (400K)

C Tatum (400K)

MI Harris (1.75m)

OF Reimold (400K)

Hitters: 44.35m (Including $8m for Lee: 52.35)

SP Guthrie (5.5m)

SP Matusz (1.4m)

SP Bergesen (400K)

SP Arrieta (400K)

SP Tillman/Britton (400K)

RP Simon (400K)

RP Berken (400K)

RP Patton (400K)

RP Johnson (600K)

RP Vanden Hurk (400K)

RP Uehara (5m)

RP Gonzalez (6m)

Pitchers: 21.3m

Roster Total: 65.65 (including $8m for Lee: 73.65)

Buyouts:

Hendrickson (200K)

Atkins (500K)

2011 Projected Payroll: $66,350,000 (including $8m for Lee: $74,350,000)

2010 Actual Payroll: $73,812,500

Wow! This is awesome news great job AM!

At first I thought it was Jacobsen and Hoes, but then I reread it and saw Hoey! What a steal AM great job.

Were so used to getting nothing done at the Winter Meetings and now we come away with Reynolds and Hardy! And also resign Koji.

:thumbsup1: :beerchug1:

Just the slightest disagreement... we don't need things to go right really, we just need things to not go decidedly wrong like they did this past year. This is looking great!

Hah...maybe I'm just a glass half-empty kind of guy? Given Hardy's injury history (and the fact that it's been recent/persistent), I'd say that's something that needs to go right, rather than follow the status quo. Same thing goes for Reynolds...he doesn't need to maintain last year's performance...he needs to improve.

And then there's BRob needing to show he's healthy/back to his old self, Markakis and the question of his power (and whether run production will improve accordingly), Jones and his magical-disappearing-plate-discipline, Wieters and his magical disappearing prospect-luster...

...the more I think about it, the more the list goes on, actually. Can Pie stay heallthy (and is he a real solution), is Reimold v2009 coming back (or was v2010 what we're stuck with), does Luke regress to his "typical" season...

...stop making me think of this stuff on an otherwise nice night! :P

Archived