Derek Lee to San Diego?

rainman

Andy is crawling through this 1st base thing. we're going to end up with none of them if he keeps going like this. I guess they play these waiting games to see which side cracks 1st, but I don't think we're in a position to play any games, at this point. If they want LaRoche, they need to go get him. If they decide they would rather go get Vlady, then they better go get him. Andy and Co. needs to start acting. The winter meetings are over. I know we've been adding pieces to the bullpen, I get that. But we really need another big bat in the line up. It's too important to overlook and assume when you get around to it, one of your guys will still be there.

Go get a solution to 1st base or DH Andy, one way or another.Before we end up with Scott at 1st and Reimold at DH.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

derrek lee telling teams hed consider 1 yr bids after thumb injury opening day spoiled last yr (.774 OPs lowest since '90s)

Translation - I want the best situation for me to succeed and get back out on the market after 2011 like Beltre did.

Forget about him coming to Baltimore...

The Rangers or Nationals probably would be the best fit followed by the Jays.

Translation - I want the best situation for me to succeed and get back out on the market after 2011 like Beltre did.

If you are just looking to re-establish yourself as a hitter, coming to OPACY is as good a place as he will likely find outside of a few parks...Texas being one of them.

I do agree that he isn't likely to sign here for 1 year though.

364 in left center wouldn't be a bad place to aim for 81 games if you're trying to increase your value via a resurgence in power #s.

I just listened to a half interview with Jed Hoyer. Here are some points about 1st base for the Padres.

1. He has not signed Derrek Lee or any one else to play first base.

2. His 1st baseman will probably come from free agency.

3. He wants a one year solution because of Blank and Rizzo's development.

4. He is looking for bargains and is prepared to wait for them. (Sound familar?)

5. He wants power from his 1st baseman.

6. He wants a 1st baseman with experience playing 1st base.

My comments:

That could be LaRoche, Lee, Cantu (has hit over 20 HR 3 times), Branyan, or Glaus.

From what I have read about his budget he probably will not spend more then $5M on a 1 year contract.

That means not LaRoche.

Should mean not Lee but Lee will sign a 1 year and likes the west coast. He would have to give a discount to the Padres. I wouldn't rule it out.

Any of the other three fit.

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/pages/main

click 1090 Podcasts in the lefthand column.

Everything I read says Vlad is favored to be signed by the Rangers. Hard to believe that would go old at DH and 1B especially with Moreland in the mix. Lee is going to want to be the every day 1st baseman.

Nationals - sure, except they want a lefthanded hitter and LaRoche fits. I am betting that the Nationals outbid the O's for LaRoche.

San Diego is not a good place to hit but I can see Lee wanting to play there. They probably will not pay him more then 1/5M. Is that enough? Who knows.

Arizona is rumored to be ready to sign Nady.

Toronto wants to have Lind share 1st base with someone. I don't see Lee sharing 1st base.

I just listened to a half interview with Jed Hoyer. Here are some points about 1st base for the Padres.

1. He has not signed Derrek Lee or any one else to play first base.

2. His 1st baseman will probably come from free agency.

3. He wants a one year solution because of Blank and Rizzo's development.

4. He is looking for bargains and is prepared to wait for them. (Sound familar?)

5. He wants power from his 1st baseman.

6. He wants a 1st baseman with experience playing 1st base.

My comments:

That could be LaRoche, Lee, Cantu (has hit over 20 HR 3 times), Branyan, or Glaus.

From what I have read about his budget he probably will not spend more then $5M on a 1 year contract.

That means not LaRoche.

Should mean not Lee but Lee will sign a 1 year and likes the west coast. He would have to give a discount to the Padres. I wouldn't rule it out.

Any of the other three fit.

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/pages/main

click 1090 Podcasts in the lefthand column.

Anyone figure that maybe it got leaked out, but he doesn't want it to be made official until Lee has passed his physical. I think it's a done deal, but could be as simple as he needs to fly there to sign and make sure he's heathy

Anyone figure that maybe it got leaked out, but he doesn't want it to be made official until Lee has passed his physical. I think it's a done deal, but could be as simple as he needs to fly there to sign and make sure he's heathy

Anything is possible but the earlier report was not credible and that has been confirmed by one of the sources that was promoting it.

I would have to say we don't know and have to wait to see what other information comes out.

Everything I read says Vlad is favored to be signed by the Rangers. Hard to believe that would go old at DH and 1B especially with Moreland in the mix. Lee is going to want to be the every day 1st baseman.
For now, the Rangers are more inclined to re-sign designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero and perhaps add a right-handed-hitting first baseman to pair with Mitch Moreland than renew their quest for Beltre, sources say.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-seattle-mariners-Felix-Hernandez-should-be-untouchable-Ken-Rosenthal-121410

Archived