Blockbuster brewing???

bigbird

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. That deal could haunt us, but if it were the best trade offered to you as GM, would you do it based on everything you know now or would you keep Miggy until the AS break?

Greg I can much more easily see that deal haunting the Cubs than the O's.

If Tejada is traded for Pie, and Pie tanks, then in 2 years the O's are no better or worse off than if they had kept Tejada and let him walk.

In contrast, in two years the Cubs could have an even further declining and expensive former star, while Pie is blossoming, still hasn't reached his late-20s prime years, and is still playing for peanuts.

The popular notion that the O's are taking all the risk in a Tejada-for-Pie swap is nuts. That's not to say that Pie isn't a question mark. He is. But Tejada is too. And an expensive one at that.

If Tejada is traded for Pie, and Pie tanks, then in 2 years the O's are no better or worse off than if they had kept Tejada and let him walk.

In contrast, in two years the Cubs could have an even further declining and expensive former star, while Pie is blossoming, still hasn't reached his late-20s prime years, and is still playing for peanuts.

The popular notion that the O's are taking all the risk in a Tejada-for-Pie swap is nuts. That's not to say that Pie isn't a question mark. He is. But Tejada is too. And an expensive one at that.

2 high draft choices is chopped liver?

And , no I really enjoy Davearm---and what he brings here.

I'm unsure what gives you the impression that we believe that only the O's take risks in this trade scenario. Certainly not from me. It's natural that on an Orioles fan site that we approach things from an O's perspective, and in Miggy's case the importance of getting a good return is quite important in the rebuilding process that we are about to undertake.

Naturally the Cubs are taking a risk as Tejada's skill set may be in decline. 2008 will be a very telling season for Miguel and will likely establish whether or not he is in decline or if 2007 was an off year due to injuries. The steroid scandal is another factor that cannot be overlooked.

Each team takes risks and if this or a similar deal is finalized between the teams it will possibly be among the most important deals of the off-season, helping one team toward a possible WS contender and another to usher in a rebuilding plan to return a franchise to respectability and its old winning ways.

Yeah, he is a question mark to hit .300 20/100. I agree defensively at SS he is a question mark, but you are getting a very good hitter. We are getting a very good defensive CF, but a huge offensive question mark. Trust me, I would defintely do a Tejada for Pie/Cedeno trade, but since the Cubs are built to win now, you are getting far from a question mark in Tejeda.

Or could you spin Pie to someone like the Pirates for a Jason Bay???

If we spin a cheap, young OFer with AS potential for a guy who will be a FA in 2 years and not worth giving a long term contract to, it will just show that they think they are close to contending and that is foolish.

Yeah, he is a question mark to hit .300 20/100. I agree defensively at SS he is a question mark, but you are getting a very good hitter. We are getting a very good defensive CF, but a huge offensive question mark. Trust me, I would defintely do a Tejada for Pie/Cedeno trade, but since the Cubs are built to win now, you are getting far from a question mark in Tejeda.

I'm not keen on the Pie/Cedeno trade, but if it is the best offer we get then, and only then would I do it. Tejada I believe is a clubhouse problem with his sometimes lackadaisical attitude. Not his fault with the constant loosing, but still is an issue. That and a real possible drop in defense gives AM little choice in a untenable bargaining position. The option of keeping him I believe is remote, and hopefully doesn't occur.

The only question mark about Tejada is what kind of player is he going to be in the next 2 years....He should be no worse than a 280/340/440 type guy which, while not great, is still decent. To me, that is worse case scenario.

People around here act like Tejada is done.

if it's Pie/Cedeno, I want at the very least a solid bullpen arm thrown in. Dempster, or someone else along those lines.

Miggy is still one of the top hitting ss's in baseball and thrown onto a contender, would make a rather sizeable impact. Not only at the plate, but an injection of enthusiasm for him and the team he will join.

You guys are undervaluing his value to a contender. He's worth more than question marks. I hold firm on 1 TOP prospect and 2 SOLID contributers. Better offers will come if we are patient...

The only question mark about Tejada is what kind of player is he going to be in the next 2 years....He should be no worse than a 280/340/440 type guy which, while not great, is still decent. To me, that is worse case scenario.

People around here act like Tejada is done.

Let's not forget how much attitude affects how Tejada plays. I could be wrong, but Tejada is the kind of guy who steps up his game if he has something to play for. When he's mentally down, as he has been for the past two years, his production is affected moreso than other players.

So, we should consider that proable improvement in attitude when we're talking about moving him to the Cubs or Angels. I think that will help make up for any decline in production.

That said, I'd be happy with a Tejada for Pie, Cedano, & a BP arm at this point (and probably just for Pie/Cedeno, to be honest). I think that's the most we can expect.

It would be interesting to know if Mark Prior is a guy that MacPhail would like to have coming back in a trade.

Hard to imagine a much better low-risk/low-cost, high-upside case, especially in light of the Chris Carpenter story.

Dealing Prior as part of a package that nets a marquee name like Tejada would provide Hendry with a convenient face-saving exit strategy from that whole messy situation.

It would be interesting to know if Mark Prior is a guy that MacPhail would like to have coming back in a trade.

Hard to imagine a much better low-risk/low-cost, high-upside case, especially in light of the Chris Carpenter story.

Dealing Prior as part of a package that nets a marquee name like Tejada would provide Hendry with a convenient face-saving exit strategy from that whole messy situation.

I would love to have Mark Prior, but it would depend on how much of a piece he would be to the trade. If he is a key player, I am not sure it is a good gamble. Yet, if we get a nice return AND he is in the trade, it could be a very nice deal for us.

Could you see Pie, Cedeno and Prior? It seems too much, but I am not sure what his value is right now, do you Dave?

Carpenter had 6 full/near full seasons (including minors) before he got hurt and 2 since. Prior doesn't have anywhere close to the number of seasons/innings under his belt. He still hasn't proven that his arm can take the abuse and stay healthy for an extended period.

Prior is only "low risk" if the cost to acquire him is minimal.

Are you suggesting Pie, Cedeno, Prior for Miggy ?

But isnt it almost a forgone conclusion that Prior will be non-tendered this offseason?

Archived