Blockbuster brewing???

bigbird

"Commissioner Bud Selig has not ruled out suspending players who might have violated United States law even if they did not violate baseball's drug policy, a high-ranking major league official said Wednesday."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-seriesrep25oct25,1,1718945.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

This is of course baloney. In order to suspend them for breaking the law they would have to be convicted of breaking the law. If that were the case then Bonds would already be in jail. This is hype.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is of course baloney. In order to suspend them for breaking the law they would have to be convicted of breaking the law. If that were the case then Bonds would already be in jail. This is hype.
They'd have to rework the CBA most likely for this to work. Goddell suspends people in the NFL just for being arrested, before being convicted, but he has a lot more power from the verbiage in their CBA.

The park effects seem pretty average to me. He's obviously improved quite a bit, you can't say it's all league and park. He hit 4 hr's in 74 major ab's this year. It looks like he can be a 15-20 hr guy, not saying that will happen, but I wouldn't say he's a 10 hr guy at best. I doubt he's going to be anything special, but he may turn into a decent SS.

He isn't good enough to be the second player in a Miggy trade unless the first player is a Justin Upton-esque prospect.

I think i would prefer to keep Miggy than to trade him for Pie and Cedeno.

Sports Guy loves to berate and condescend everyone who doesn't agree with his opinion, so when responding to his posts, I like to talk in a language he'll understand.

I think if you looked, you'd find I'm far more civil with anyone who is respectful of me and others.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to criticize you. I was just wondering why would deliberately subject yourself to the frustration.

He isn't good enough to be the second player in a Miggy trade unless the first player is a Justin Upton-esque prospect.

I think i would prefer to keep Miggy than to trade him for Pie and Cedeno.

Although I agree with you for the most part in most trade/rebuilding post you make, I disagree about saying no to a Pie/Cedeno for Miggy deal. I'd happily make that deal if that was the best offer available.

Although I agree with you for the most part in most trade/rebuilding post you make, I disagree about saying no to a Pie/Cedeno for Miggy deal. I'd happily make that deal if that was the best offer available.

My guess is you have a higher opinion of these 2 then i do, especially Cedeno.

Cedeno may surprise me but i just don't see it with this guy.

I am skeptical of Pie as well but I would like to get him.

This is why i need Marmol or Wuertz added to these guys.

Would rather get Pie and Gallagher than Pie and Cedeno.

My guess is you have a higher opinion of these 2 then i do, especially Cedeno.

Cedeno may surprise me but i just don't see it with this guy.

I am skeptical of Pie as well but I would like to get him.

This is why i need Marmol or Wuertz added to these guys.

Would rather get Pie and Gallagher than Pie and Cedeno.

Agree that Marmol needs to be in there for me to pull the trigger on a Cubs deal.

They'd have to rework the CBA most likely for this to work. Goddell suspends people in the NFL just for being arrested, before being convicted, but he has a lot more power from the verbiage in their CBA.

Exactly, in most states a company can fire an employee for virtually anything and almost at will. The only recourse to the employee is the union (if they have one) or legal action. The main issue with baseball not getting rid of some of these guys is the Players Union and the CBA. The NFL and NBA have a lot more leverage.

Not only CAN baseball suspend players without a conviction, they HAVE done it. Jason Grimsley was suspended for 50 games. Not only was he not convicted, he was never even charged.

If there is sufficient evidence that players received or used steroids, I suspect MLB will hand out suspensions. It will be interesting to see what their evidence threshold is.

Not only CAN baseball suspend players without a conviction, they HAVE done it. Jason Grimsley was suspended for 50 games. Not only was he not convicted, he was never even charged.

If there is sufficient evidence that players received or used steroids, I suspect MLB will hand out suspensions. It will be interesting to see what their evidence threshold is.

Unless I'm mistaken Grimsley used HGH after MLB banned it. The CBA wont let them suspend players retroactively.

I suppose you have never once been fooled by how someone looked for their first 2-3 months? Now I will admit, you (especially in the last 2 years) have been pretty consistent in not getting too high or low on a player who seemed to be performing above or below the level suggested by minor league stats and/or peripherals. Sometimes, to a fault. But surely even you have sometimes been wrong in your initial assessment of a player and later changed your mind.

If Dave got excited over Fonetnot's first few months, he's only human.

SG was desperate to get Huff signed.:rolleyes:

Not until late in the offseason, as I recall. SG really wanted to sign Catalonotto or Dellucci and Jose Cruz, Jr. Of course, that wouldn't have worked out so well last year, either.

And i would still take all of them on one year deals over what we gave Huff.

I am not sure i was as high on Dellucci as others though....I felt he would get too much for what he was going to give us(i think this is how i felt).

And of course, i didn't want any of them over getting younger, deeper and more talented.

Not until late in the offseason, as I recall. SG really wanted to sign Catalonotto or Dellucci and Jose Cruz, Jr. Of course, that wouldn't have worked out so well last year, either.
I was referring to the period when the signing was being considered. In fairness Cat/Cruz would have been a marked improvement over Payton. Delucci/Cruz not so much

Unless I'm mistaken Grimsley used HGH after MLB banned it. The CBA wont let them suspend players retroactively.

It's a foggy area. MLB said "all illegal drugs" were banned in 1991. Surely some of the names in Mitchell report will have used PEDs before and after the policy was clarified in later years.

Archived