Blockbuster brewing???

bigbird

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But isnt it almost a forgone conclusion that Prior will be non-tendered this offseason?

Some writers have speculated that Prior will be nontendered, but I'd hardly call it a foregone conclusion.

I happen to think it's unlikely... just can't imagine the Cubs walking away from him and getting nothing.

I would love to have Mark Prior, but it would depend on how much of a piece he would be to the trade. If he is a key player, I am not sure it is a good gamble. Yet, if we get a nice return AND he is in the trade, it could be a very nice deal for us.

Could you see Pie, Cedeno and Prior? It seems too much, but I am not sure what his value is right now, do you Dave?

Prior's value is obviously not that great.

I don't think the Cubs would have to add Prior to Pie and Cedeno to get Tejada, so no, that's not what I'm suggesting.

Carpenter had 6 full/near full seasons (including minors) before he got hurt and 2 since. Prior doesn't have anywhere close to the number of seasons/innings under his belt. He still hasn't proven that his arm can take the abuse and stay healthy for an extended period.

Prior is only "low risk" if the cost to acquire him is minimal.

Are you suggesting Pie, Cedeno, Prior for Miggy ?

On the other hand, Prior pitched at a far higher level than Carpenter ever did before Carpenter's injury, and Prior's also much younger than Carpenter was when Carpenter had his surgery.

The parallel is that both guys had major surgery on their pitching shoulders. The fact that the first one came all the way back to Cy Young form provides hope that the other can, too.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat. I can't imagine the Cubs would go for it though.

Pie, Cedeno, Prior for Miggy & Hernandez?

Pie, Cedeno, Prior for Miggy & Penn or equivilent?

The latter one, with Penn included, is the sort of thing I could imagine.

I'm not crazy about Penn, but as I said earlier, it'd be a way for the Cubs to get out of the Prior situation without looking empty-handed.

On the other hand, Prior pitched at a far higher level than Carpenter ever did before Carpenter's injury, and Prior's also much younger than Carpenter was when Carpenter had his surgery.

The parallel is that both guys had major surgery on their pitching shoulders. The fact that the first one came all the way back to Cy Young form provides hope that the other can, too.

I understand the whole deal with Prior but if the O's could get Pie, Cedeno, & Prior for Miggy & Penn, I'd be estatic.

I mean c'mon, what else can you expect?

1. I'd want the catcher, Soto. He's considered great defensively and he really came to life with the bat last year. Heck if he hits HALF of what he did last year at age 24 in AAA, he'd be an immediate upgrade over Bako.

2. I'm not sold at all on Cedeno, but we'd need to replace Miggy so we'd have to take him.

3. Pie certainly has the highest ceiling, but he didn't hit a lick in the majors last year. I know he's very young, still, but I'd like to see a little better major league success before I get excited.

I just don't see the Cubs having any interest in Hernandez, so I don't think they'd be parting with Soto.

Pie, Cedeno, and Marmol would be a really good haul for Tejada. If we get Hu from the Dodgers, I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Cedeno with someone else, or we could just convert one of them to a 2B.

Archived