2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Reynolds the person, and his power potential.

As a player I gave him a C, and could easily have given a D. Just not a good enough year offensively to offset the vast improvement he made at 1B. I do like that he has a good batting eye and can work the count. I don't like that he simply misses so many hitters pitches.

D for Reynolds. I know he's a favorite, but his WAR was roughly zero this year, his abysmal defense at 3B caused chaos in the line-up/field for a while, his power was gone except for a solid 10 game stretch where he carried the team. He looks *good* at 1B with a fair amount of highlight-reel stuff, but the balance of his skill-set still only makes him an average 1B. I don't want to see the O's pick up his option. Negotiate him down if we must keep.

Would have given him a D, but his offensive surge against NY in September (yes, that's all I need), and his stellar defense at 1B put him in the C category for me.

That said, I'll be disappointed if he repeats this performance again next season. Give me an average offensive year and the same great D at first and we might have something.

I gave him a D, although his defense was great with the exception of a few great games against NYY he was dreadful offensively and I cringed every time he was at bat with runners on. IMO, you don't keep someone for defense at a power position and we should only attempt to resign him at a low salary and if we think he can return the #'s he put up in 2011.

I gave him a B-.

Great attitude, anything to help the team win. Didn't moan or complain one bit about being moved to first and was brilliant over there.

Yankee Killer. Overall numbers were down but he still remains the guy in the lineup (IIRC) with the biggest differential between batting average and OBP. I like his approach. If Jones had his approach at the plate, we'd be looking at a ridiculous player.

Anyway, I hope we bring Reynolds back, I can see him going elsewhere and hitting 35-40 homers.

Love Reynolds the person, and his power potential.

As a player I gave him a C, and could easily have given a D. Just not a good enough year offensively to offset the vast improvement he made at 1B. I do like that he has a good batting eye and can work the count. I don't like that he simply misses so many hitters pitches.

Yeah he just barely ekes out a C. His play at 1B was surprising, but still, he has to hit the long ball to be an asset. And I'm not confident his 1B defense will continue.

This was my toughest vote. Horrific start at the hot corner, wildly cold with the bat most of the year -- yet he eventually solidified first base, played excellent defense, got on an offensive tear when the O's needed it most (in the regular season run) and was clearly a substantive part of our first playoff team in way too long. I went B, but in a full scale it is more of a B-. All my grades are based on the regular season so far, most of the offense would lose a full letter grade if I measured our series with the Yanks.

-Don

Tough grade to figure out.

Offense:

.221/.335/.429/.763 Same batting average as last year, better OBP but way less SLG. Hitting anything above .200 is impressive for him but a .763 OPS is worthy of a C. Posted the highest AB/K of his career 2.9 but also the worst AB/HR. He's improving slightly in plate discipline but other than that magical streak in late August, his power almost disappeared.

Fielding (3B):

Easy F. His fielding was even worse that Miguel Cabrera's for the short time he was there.

Fielding (1B):

Easy A. Despite what a lot of numbers seem to say about his fielding at 1B, he lead the league in "Good Fielding Plays" after the all star break by a pretty wide margin. Link

All that sums up to a C grade for me. Next year, if he keeps up his defense at 1B, maintains his high walk rate, continues to keep his K's down, and rediscovers his power stroke more consistently... he might actually get an A next season.

B- for me. A few thoughts:

1. His WAR against the yankees and red sox for me put him over the top. The guy destroys balls against both of those teams (yea.... except the post season).

2. His defense once he moved over to 1B was nothing short of amazing.

3. His attitude and hustle seem to be second to none (definitely "nugget" material)

4. Complacent Reynolds (need I say more?)

5. One of the best OBP on the team. Even when he isn't hitting. It seems like he still walks.

NOTE: I reallize there are plenty of negatives about him (his defense at 3rd, average, and SO rate). I just think that given a full year at 1B he will have a monster year.

An easy B for me, and was really close to an A.

I really, really, really believe that if we would have kept Davis or Betemit at 1B, and cut Reynolds like 90% of fans wanted to do in May, that this team would have missed the playoffs. His defense at first base was tremendous, and saved so many errors that would have turned into runs.

He obviously had a down year at the plate, but I put him in the same category as Wieters to be honest. Let's remember that Reynolds had the 3rd best OBP on the team this year. If he would have had a better average with a couple more homeruns, I would have given him an A for this year. His down year on offense is not going to make me bring his grade all the way down to a C with the defense that he played.

I gave him a B-.

Great attitude, anything to help the team win. Didn't moan or complain one bit about being moved to first and was brilliant over there.

Yankee Killer. Overall numbers were down but he still remains the guy in the lineup (IIRC) with the biggest differential between batting average and OBP. I like his approach. If Jones had his approach at the plate, we'd be looking at a ridiculous player.

Anyway, I hope we bring Reynolds back, I can see him going elsewhere and hitting 35-40 homers.

Well said Moose...C+ for me. Terrible 3B defense negated by brilliant 1B defense...good to know he'll start out fully at 1B next year. It will be interesting to see his regiment this offseason (if he'll put some weight from what he lost at last season's beginning)...wonder if he lost some power from the weight loss. He can be heavier at first. Hope he is back at a reasonable price (2 year, $15 million range)...

Archived