View Poll Results: Should the O's organization get Mariano a retirement gift?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah. Get that guy something nice

75 63.56%
  • No. Orioles don't buy retirement gifts for Yankee's

43 36.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BohKnowsBmore is offline Plus Member since 3/14 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
    I have admired two Yankees in my lifetime - Mike Mussina (no explanation needed) and Mariano Rivera. Mo might be one of the greatest humanitarians to play the game on top of completely dominating his position and being the best of all time. I've been saying it for years, but I honestly think he could break Tom Seaver's HOF 1st ballot record (%-wise) and come very close to a unanimous 1st ballot HOFer
    Not sure, could anyone legitimately argue cal Ripken or Rickey Henderson weren't worthy of unanimity in election?

It's Baltimore, give him crabs.....lol.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BohKnowsBmore View Post
    Not sure, could anyone legitimately argue Cal Ripken, Jr. or Rickey Henderson weren't worthy of unanimity in their respective elections to the Hall-of-Fame?
    Or Willie Mays.

It's some type of ritual that the voters have every year. One way or another, they always make sure that nobody ever gets elected unanimously, regardless of how great they were and/or how obvious it is that they are just being contrarians by ensuring that there are at least a few voters that don't vote for the player(s) in question.

I'd be curious to ask some of the voters who DID NOT vote for Henderson, Mays, or Ripken, Jr., what exactly was their reasoning in keeping said players off of their ballots.
    Last edited by OFFNY; 07-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.

allquixotic is offline Plus Member since 05/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Redskins Rick View Post
    NOOOOOO. That would mean the Yankees make the playoffs and to the ALCS.
    It would also mean that the Orioles are going to the World Series. "NOOOOOO"?

Also, with Boston doing what they're doing, it seems highly improbable that both the Orioles and the Yankees will make the playoffs this year. I don't think it's very likely that the AL East will get both American League wildcard slots, because remember, we play the AL East a lot, and every time the AL East plays itself, one team wins and one team loses, thus making it very improbable that one division could take all the wildcards.

I think Boston will finish first in the AL East, with the Orioles taking the first wildcard, and a team in another AL division taking the second wildcard.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 07-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.

oriolesmagic9 is offline Plus Member since 6/13 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Well, Jones gave him whiplash today. Does that count?

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    How about we give him the ball Jonesy hit today?

In all seriousness, of course you give him something. Great player, great person. You have to honor people like that because they don't come around that often.

However, anyone arguing for him to be a unanimous HoF vote is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by waroriole View Post
    How about we give him the ball Jonesy hit today?

In all seriousness, of course you give him something. Great player, great person. You have to honor people like that because they don't come around that often.

However, anyone arguing for him to be a unanimous HoF vote is foolish.
    A closer? Unanimous? Seriously?

LayzieDES is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I swatted mine off the shelf after Jones had (for the 100th time) swung at a ball outside & in the dirt with runners on earlier in the year. His leg fell off lol.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    A closer? Unanimous? Seriously?
    Closer, failed SP. Either way, he sure isn't anywhere close to unanimous. To some point, I can understand the "if Babe Ruth, Willie Mays etc. aren't unanimous, then nobody is" argument. You can't tell me Rivera is the most deserving HOF ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamiorioles View Post
    It's Baltimore, give him crabs.....lol.
    Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wedge View Post
    Yielded this (and other teams tributes and gifts) by Googling Yankees gift Ripken:

The pregame tribute, just off the dirt behind home plate, included Yankee manager Joe Torre giving Ripken?s wife, Kelly, a dozen long-stemmed pink roses, and former Yankees All-Star Don Mattingly presenting Ripken with a pin commemorating his last game in the city. Ripken also was given an enlarged and framed copy of the commemorative ticket each fan was given at the stadium. Reading ?Farewell Cal Ripken,? the tickets have black-and-white pictures of Ripken and Lou Gehrig.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...#ixzz2XzRcDWdf
    I was at that game!

russ snyder is offline Plus Member Since 1/13 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'd be surprised if the Orioles did not acknowledge Rivera's accomplishments this season. After all, the Yankees paid tribute to Ripken who broke Gehrig's record. This guy is a first ballot Hall Of Famer and he deserves to be honored IMO.

blid is offline Plus Member Since 04/10 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFNY View Post
    Or Willie Mays.

It's some type of ritual that the voters have every year. One way or another, they always make sure that nobody ever gets elected unanimously, regardless of how great they were and/or how obvious it is that they are just being contrarians by ensuring that there are at least a few voters that don't vote for the player(s) in question.

I'd be curious to ask some of the voters who DID NOT vote for Henderson, Mays, or Ripken, Jr., what exactly was their reasoning in keeping said players off of their ballots.
    http://deadspin.com/5125268/octogena...ilarity-ensues

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof09/...son&id=3828326
    Last edited by blid; 07-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Can we hit a walkoff HR the last time he plays us, then we can go hunt for the ball and give it to him?