MLB Updated Draft Rankings

Alex Robinson, Maryland's closer, could make a lot of sense in the 2nd-3rd round range and not just because of the local connection. We'll need a dominant left on left option in the bullpen when Matusz is gone and he could be fast tracked to majors rather quickly as a reliever. Got a nasty fastball-slider combo and the fastball has touched 96 MPH

Phil Nevin's son jumped out at me. Tyler Nevin. 3B. Only 17. Had TJ surgery in 2013. The system lacks hitting prospects. So far we haven't developed any of our 1st rd pitching prospects into solid members of BALT rotation. Also the guy Stewart from FSU looks good. But he's already 21. When we've drafted hitters in the top 10 rds our scouts have been pretty good recently.

Phil Nevin's son jumped out at me. Tyler Nevin. 3B. Only 17. Had TJ surgery in 2013. The system lacks hitting prospects. So far we haven't developed any of our 1st rd pitching prospects into solid members of BALT rotation. Also the guy Stewart from FSU looks good. But he's already 21. When we've drafted hitters in the top 10 rds our scouts have been pretty good recently.

Didn't Phil Nevin exercise his right to refuse a trade that would send him to the Orioles?

I'm guessing if he is at 1:25, his medicals don't look so hot. Either his back diagnosis or his TJ recovery hit a snag. He's probably this year's Hoffmann.

I'd take that chance rather that chance rather than a high floor guy.

I'd tend to agree. If the medicals are slightly optimistic or better, I'd do it as he would probably be the highest ceiling guy at 1:25. First pick is usually about ceiling, BPA, etc. I would just wonder why no one else chose him. Gotta trust your medical staff.

I'm guessing if he is at 1:25, his medicals don't look so hot. Either his back diagnosis or his TJ recovery hit a snag. He's probably this year's Hoffmann.

Hoffman had a much better/longer track record and fewer injury concerns.

Hoffman had a much better/longer track record and fewer injury concerns.

Matuella's pitched less than 100 NCAA innings and no summer league, right?

Between the 2, I would definitely take Hoffman. Thought the rumored ask for Hoffman w/ the DD situation was humorous. Would have been floored if it happened.

Matuella's pitched less than 100 NCAA innings and no summer league, right?

Between the 2, I would definitely take Hoffman. Thought the rumored ask for Hoffman w/ the DD situation was humorous. Would have been floored if it happened.

Had like four innings on the Cape between freshman/soph year and nothing last summer (back), yup. Missed chunks of last spring and was limited in starts (back). Some teams already had him dinged on medical concerns prior to the elbow. Slider is inconsistent and had a scout I very much trust tell me he graded it a 40/future 50 on his look this spring. Honestly, even if Matuella were healthy I'd take Bickford without thinking twice.

Hoffman was filthy on the Cape and showed comparable stuff in the spring (including fastball/curve/change that all flashed plus-plus at some point) prior to going down with the elbow. He's back and throwing well for Toronto -- in my opinion was the top arm in the draft last year if healthy.

Had like four innings on the Cape between freshman/soph year and nothing last summer (back), yup. Missed chunks of last spring and was limited in starts (back). Some teams already had him dinged on medical concerns prior to the elbow. Slider is inconsistent and had a scout I very much trust tell me he graded it a 40/future 50 on his look this spring. Honestly, even if Matuella were healthy I'd take Bickford without thinking twice.

Hoffman was filthy on the Cape and showed comparable stuff in the spring (including fastball/curve/change that all flashed plus-plus at some point) prior to going down with the elbow. He's back and throwing well for Toronto -- in my opinion was the top arm in the draft last year if healthy.

Thanks.

Archived