Underrated and Overrated player on OH

Sports Guy

I was about to say this, but then I remembered Luke Scott.

A selection of players who were worse hitters than Luke Scott in 2010 (by wOBA):

Prince Fielder

David Ortiz

Ryan Braun

Adam Dunn

Adrian Gonzalez

Mark Teixeira

Ryan Howard

Alex Rodriguez

Scott is significantly more affordable than any of them, under team control longer than most, and yet if you asked anyone on this site if they'd trade Scott for anyone on this list, they'd say yes without hesitation.

That's one year of wOBA. If you went to 2-3 years I'd bet everyone on that list is better. Also, wOBA is a nice rate stat, but to me you still need to look at how often they play and how some of the "counting stats" look. What would WAR say?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eek:

What?!?!?!?

As for the question, I can't really answer it as I do not think the board thinks as one on anything. We are a large community with differences in opinion abound. Some overrate a number of players while underrating others. It depends on whose opinion we are talking about because I would have great difficulty labeling the entire board with a singular opinion.

BB is our best SP at the moment.

Simply, he's the only guy on our staff from whom I know what to expect. Extract the time he was on the mound (when he probably shouldn't have been) between the line drive to the shin and the shoulder injury he suffered filming the MASN commercial, and he's been the most consistent of our starting pitchers.

That's one year of wOBA. If you went to 2-3 years I'd bet everyone on that list is better. Also, wOBA is a nice rate stat, but to me you still need to look at how often they play and how some of the "counting stats" look. What would WAR say?

wOBA is better than nice. wOBA is mathematically perfect.

And actually, by the counting stat version of wOBA, wRC+, Scott is still ahead of everyone on the previous list except Gonzalez (he literally drops from 16th in baseball to 17th).

Scott takes a massive hit in WAR for DHing, as well as being a poor defensive LF/1B when he does play the field. This is actually a problem I have with WAR, but rather than get into that argument, I'm only saying Scott was an elite bat in 2010. Was he all-around one of the 20 best players in baseball? Probably not. Was he one of the 20 best hitters in baseball? Yes. Do people on this board (or baseball fans in general) generally consider him to have been among the 20 best hitters in baseball in 2010? Absolutely not. And because of that, he is underrated.

Simply, he's the only guy on our staff from whom I know what to expect. Extract the time he was on the mound (when he probably shouldn't have been) between the line drive to the shin and the shoulder injury he suffered filming the MASN commercial, and he's been the most consistent of our starting pitchers.

So he was consistent...except when he wasn't.

Make all the excuses you want, he was our 5th most valuable starter last season.

Overrated: BB, J. Arrieta (all attention seems to focus on negatives of C. Tillman with no concern over Arrieta's performance). L. Scott, Koji (we seem to foget how little he has been healthy), JJ

Underrated: Tough to come up with. I think some folks tend to give up too quickly on prospects who don't immediately live up to their potential. While they may never be as good as we hope, I'd tend to go with Tillman and A. Jones.

Make all the excuses you want, he was our 5th most valuable starter last season.

I believe you. But he was hurt for 2/3 of the season. Don't ignore the stretch of good outings from August on once he finally got healthy, and don't ignore his 2009 body of work that was equally impressive.

Besides, he was our 3rd best SP at worst, behind only Guthrie and Matusz. No way can you say Millwood or Arrieta was ahead.

Bottom line is that when Bergesen is healthy, he's very good, and he's very underrated.

I'm a big Bergy supporter (as my av would suggest), but there's no way to be sure injuries were the problem. Bergy himself creditted his turnaround to more use of his 4-seamer.

Of course he did. That's a much more positive reason to show better results than, "Well, I'm a jackass and I hurt myself during that MASN commercial, and I'm feeling much better now."

There's no way to be sure, but it's a safe bet. I think we'll see good seasons from BRob, Lee, Hardy, and Reynolds: all buy-low candidates because their recent history was marred by injury. We may surprise a LOT of people this year.

Archived