Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Cardinals may be losing Dex for the season. Wonder if AJ would reconsider the NT if he could play every day there. They are 5 GB of the second wild card with 7 teams ahead of them.

They can just plug in Tyler O'Neill and likely get better results.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure he'd be interested......but it's too late.  We passed the non-waiver deadline.........no way he gets through waivers.  He'd be claimed by some AL team.

Suppose the O's decide they'll just let the claiming team have him, I imagine he can block a waiver claim too?

27 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Suppose the O's decide they'll just let the claiming team have him, I imagine he can block a waiver claim too?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes

I think it was determined no. As long as the Orioles do not receive compensation. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I'm sure he'd be interested......but it's too late.  We passed the non-waiver deadline.........no way he gets through waivers.  He'd be claimed by some AL team.

If he gets claimed you let him walk and dump his remaining contract on whomever claims him. Your not offering him arbitration so you are not getting a pick.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If he gets claimed you let him walk and dump his remaining contract on whomever claims him. Your not offering him arbitration so you are not getting a pick.

As noted above by Corn in this thread and others previously.  Adam's 10 and 5 allows him to say no to this too.  And he surely would.

14 minutes ago, foxfield said:

As noted above by Corn in this thread and others previously.  Adam's 10 and 5 allows him to say no to this too.  And he surely would.

One would assume that they only teams that would claim him are those that are contending. It would make zero sense for any non contender to claim him.

Once claimed you can clear it with him and perhaps nab a prospect.

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get this argument. Once again Adam has every right to do what he wants to do. The topic of him possibly being traded was talked about by the man himself. I mean was he really surprised the Orioles came to him and asked for his permission? It is pretty evident they waited on a possible deal before they went to Adam. The idea that this came out of nowhere is absurd. I find it hard to believe Adam and his wife had no conversations about him possibly moving on until the Orioles actually came to him.  

There’s a big difference between considering the general idea of being traded to a contender in a vague sense (which he clearly did) and weighing the details and specifics of particular options.

”Am I willing to be traded to be a contender at the deadline?” is a very different question than “am I willing to be moved to a corner (or potentially even platoon) OF spot in a league where I’m not particularly familiar with the opposing pitchers on a really young team that is probably 3rd best in its own division and only a 50/50 bet to even make the playoffs?”

That’s where I think the Orioles sorta fell down on the job with this one — not feeling Adam out on where he stood on the various aspects of potential trade partners. How important to him is staying in CF? How realistic a contender would he be looking for, only teams with legitimate WS hopes or any team still in the playoff hunt? Does he require an extension, or at least a team that would have serious interest in re-signing him? Would he only accept teams that are close to home, or tbat play in the AL, or that have players/coaches he knows, or that play in desirable climates? 

All that groundwork could have been done well ahead of time. It would have given AJ a chance to really think meaningfully about the issue and feel like a part of the process, and it would have given the Orioles a much clearer idea of what trade options they should be pursuing (and which they shouldn’t even waste time on). Instead, it sounds like they just kinda just plopped the Philly deal down in front of him and said “okay, here’s what we want to do, so just give us your yay or nay. Need to know by tomorrow. Thanks.” Putting aside the issue of whether that’s a respectful way of handling the situation, it just wasn’t an effective way to get what they wanted (a “yes” from him), in pretty much every sense. 

I've enjoyed AJ for a long time and I think he has been a top ten CF in baseball for most of the time he has been in Baltimore, but its time to move on after this season. I never liked the pie tossing, the bubble blowing catches, or the .155 post season BA. I hope he does well in the future---he has been a great Oriole.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That’s where I think the Orioles sorta fell down on the job with this one — not feeling Adam out on where he stood on the various aspects of potential trade partners. How important to him is staying in CF?

I think this is all smoke and mirrors from Adam. He had a relationship with PA and also a strong relationship with Buck. Any leverage he had because of those "seems" to have been pushed to the side with the emergence of DD. I think he want to stay here and play for 4 more years (his words) and had dinner with John to that end. I'm guessing it didn't go his way, John has seemingly bought into whatever plan DD proposed. That plan is to get younger and play the prospects. There is no room for 3-4 years of AJ. He is trying to leverage his status with the team and in the community to get what he wants (I don't blame him}. DD isn't going to play along, maybe there is room for compromise  in the middle but that direction would have to come from management, not DD. The Orioles didn't fall down on anything, this is business.

• 1 month later...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/adam-jones-says-he-vetoed-trade-to-phillies-because-he-wanted-to-maintain-my-stock-going-into-free-agency/

Earlier this week, Jones finally opened up about his decision to block the trade to Philadelphia during an interview with Sara Perlman of MASN Sports. Here's a transcript of the relevant parts, via MLB Trade Rumors:

"It just wasn't right for me. I was playing center field at the time, and they wanted me to go play right field and platoon. That was the situation there, and it's understandable. That's how their roster was constructed, and that's National League ball - double-switch and all that kind of stuff. ... It wasn't the right move for me, especially going into free agency. I'm not going into free agency looking like I'm [Nolan] Arenado, [Manny] Machado or [Bryce] Harper - obviously not - but I want to continue to create and maintain my stock. Going there to platoon, obviously in a good environment, a winning environment, would've hurt me in the long run. If I was 36, 37, a little older and toward the end of it all, of course - that would've been a very ideal and smart move, because it'd make sense. ... I wish the Phillies the best, because I believe they have a really good team."

Archived