O's sign duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this move as well. However, this move will probably cause Jake Arrieta to be our fifth starter. Jake won't get to pitch on a regular basis at times which might screw him up. I don't know about you but I feel Jake pitched well enough last year to pretty much have a spot in the rotation locked up. If he gets shelled this spring then it might be up for debate. What do you think?

I like this move as well. However' date=' this move will probably cause Jake Arrieta to be our fifth starter. Jake won't get to pitch on a regular basis at times which might screw him up. I don't know about you but I feel Jake pitched well enough last year to pretty much have a spot in the rotation locked up. If he gets shelled this spring then it might be up for debate. What do you think?[/quote']

If he's the 5th starter, he won't have to make his 1st start until Sun Apr 10, the 9th game of the season. Unfortunately, with Norfolk's season not starting until April 7 he can't be sent down there to make a start and then get a callup for the 10th. After that there shouldn't be very many issues with him getting skipped....although June looks kind of weird, with 5 scheduled off days, but you never know what might happen by then.

I like this move as well. However' date=' this move will probably cause Jake Arrieta to be our fifth starter. Jake won't get to pitch on a regular basis at times which might screw him up. I don't know about you but I feel Jake pitched well enough last year to pretty much have a spot in the rotation locked up. If he gets shelled this spring then it might be up for debate. What do you think?[/quote']

At the start of ST I would consider Duke/Tillman as the fifth starter. What happens at that depend on performance.

ABSOLUTELY love this move for the Orioles. He has been at the top of my "wish-list" since we signed Derrek Lee. This move could make our rotation so much stronger and so much better during the season if he stays healthy.

MacPhail now gets an A for this offseason.

Britt seems to think the rotation will be Guthrie, Duch, Matusz, Bergesen, Arrieta/Tillman. :clap3:

The 4th starter is going to be pitching Opening Day at Camden Yards. Might be smart to have Bergesen pitch the 3rd game in Tampa and have Matusz pitch the first game in Baltimore.

Let me say this... Duchscherer is a gamble for sure. His contract isn't, but whether he pitches more than 12 innings is. But....

IF he can stay healthy and get (weeeeeeeeee!) 30+ starts....... This is a guy who is good enough to make Chris Tillman belong in AAA. Make him and Britton, or Arrieta even, make sense to keep them down to start the season.

He could also easily be a guy to lock up long term and be a real steal. He's shown THAT much in the MFLs. THAT MUCH more than Tillman, Arrieta or Britton might ever show.

He could also easily be a guy to lock up long term and be a real steal. He's shown THAT much in the MFLs. THAT MUCH more than Tillman, Arrieta or Britton might ever show.

Knowing what AM has said about pitching and our young staff, I would be surprised that we would sign Duke Long-term. His injury history is way too extensive, even for a pitcher. What salary and years would you or AM be comfortable giving to this type of player? I could see an Albert Belle situation where that is wasted money and preventing us from doing other important things.

However, the way his current contract is structured is perfect. The only thing that would have made this contract even better would have been a club option at say 5-6M if he had pitched lights out, so we could have had him for 1 more year at a very cheap rate, but doubt that his agent would have let him do that type of deal.

The best 2 situations that can happen (purely hypothetical considering his injury history) from this deal are: He is healthy and pitches to his potential and we trade him for a long term 1B prospect that is blocked at the deadline, or he and everybody else on the team hits their potential and baseball actually has meaning in September in Baltimore. IF either one happens we all would/should be happy. Great signing.

Glad this happened, a very good move. Hopefully he performs well and gets a nice paycheck too.

Someone tell me how to pronounce his name.

I do believe it is pronounced Duke-sher

The big question has to be: how is Gary Thorne going to pronounce his name? :laughlol:

Andy MacPhail's off season just gets better and better. I'm enjoying this.

Archived