Orioles sign Vlad

Peace21

And if anyone still thought that Jim Bowden was not, in fact, a tool:

Vladimir Guerrero could be one of the best FA bargains for one-year deal of off-season....getting close to accepting humbling deal w O's

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/33676596221054976

I'm 99% sure he tweeted the exact same thing, word for word, a few weeks ago. The dude is too lazy to even write a new one???? Even worse, it doesn't even make sense now because a) 8 million is in no way "humbling" for Vlad whatsoever and b) it has the tone of that of an insider when this has been common knowledge for half an hour now. Worthless.

Edit:

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/28670852690092033

Confirmed, it's the exact same tweet.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$4.5 million for the player, $3.5 million for image redemption/fan goodwill. Money very well spent IMO. Could it be that the franchise is righting itself like we've all hoped for so long? I have guarded optimism but I can tell you for sure I will be at the ballpark much more often this season.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, if we gave Garrett Atkins something like $4.5 then I am ok with Vlad getting $8 mil. Also, it's a one year deal, so it won't hurt us next year anyway.

Hopefully Buck gives him plenty of rest. I'm hoping his awful second half was just a product of fatigue, and if Buck gives him more days off, especially during July/August, then he'll be productive throughout the season.

Not a move I would have made, but I'll be rooting for him as loud as anyone out there.

I had the pleasure of watching him for years on a daily basis. He is the funnest hitter to watch I've ever seen. It doesn't matter how bad the pitch is he will swing at it and the best part is he very rarely altogether misses. His strike zone extends from the dirt two feet ahead of the plate to a foot over his head. He will also take a pitcher's best pitch and hammer it like a hanging curve.

Agreed! And for at least a little while we don't have to watch him do it against us. I am thrilled with this signing....bring on spring training!

Sure Vlad will bring some excitement to our team this year but it either one of two consequences:

1. We trade a slightly younger, not much worse option in Luke Scott and our lineup has improved with the signing of Vlad but not dramatically

2A. We keep Scott and Pie does not get consistent at-bats. We fail to see what we have in Pie, who could be part of our future (while Vlad most likely will not)

2B. We trade Pie for very little

I still don't understand the extreme excitement over signing this guy

Luke Scott has been better than Vlad the last two years. I don't think it is fair to call him a worse option. Especially considering he can put a glove on and not embarrass himself. So, if he is traded, there is a good chance we downgrade from Scott to Guerrero.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, if we gave Garrett Atkins something like $4.5 then I am ok with Vlad getting $8 mil. Also, it's a one year deal, so it won't hurt us next year anyway.

...You don't base future deals on past AWFUL deals...

Archived