Orioles sign Vlad

Peace21

I see know reason to think that MacPhail wasn't behind this deal. He may well have gone to ownership and said, "this is what we can pay under the current budget, this is what I need to get it done." With that amount being deferred money. And, Peter said, "Okay."

It really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Are we done with the roster now?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could understand taking it that way but I see it as our bottom 3 is Jones, Wieters, and Hardy, not Montanez, Bell, Izturis. We actually have a real line up top to bottom.

Oh, no doubt. Just can't stand having to look up to the Yankees....for anything and hopefully that won't be the case anymore in a few years.

However, your right, that HAS to be the best bottom 3 we have had in 10 years. Wow, just wow.

The front office was adamant about sticking to its first offer - I didn't just make that up - so I tend to wonder whether somebody else got involved and pushed this deal to its conclusion. Or maybe it's always been $8 million with incentives, but $4.5 million was the base. I really don't know as I sit in the parking lot of a Severna Park restaurant.

What matters most is the Orioles just added a cleanup hitter to an already improved lineup. Guerrero remains a feared presence, someone that opposing managers must respect. And it's pretty hard to pitch around the guy, considering that he's one of the best bad-ball hitters in history.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/02/a-few-thoughts-on-guerrero.html

I see know reason to think that MacPhail wasn't behind this deal. He may well have gone to ownership and said, "this is what we can pay under the current budget, this is what I need to get it done." With that amount being deferred money. And, Peter said, "Okay."

It really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Are we done with the roster now?

I also wouldn't be surprised if AM was putting out the "we are at our budget" talk as a negotiating ploy. If he knew we were the primary player in the market, he could use it as a way of trying to bring Vlad's camp down off of his demands.

Oh, no doubt. Just can't stand having to look up to the Yankees....for anything and hopefully that won't be the case anymore in a few years.

However, your right, that HAS to be the best bottom 3 we have had in 10 years. Wow, just wow.

Not to worry, they still have the better lineup.

I like the signing, even at $8 million. Looking at Vlad's stats makes my mouth water. I know he's on the way out of baseball -- but he hasn't hit for less than .295 his entire career. That right there makes me eager to watch this man swing the bat for the O's in 2011. And with ample rest...I think Vlad could have a very solid season if he plays 120-140 games.

It's official. I cannot wait for Orioles baseball in 2011.

I think it's a poor/borderline very poor "baseball move", and I think Neyer nails it with his quick take:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4/1975809/vladimir-guerrero-orioles-sign-contract-neyer

But, I also concede I doubt BAL had better plans for this money anyway, so the net effect is minimal. Wish we saw this money being pumped into more useful avenues, though. Another 2011 move with little to no thought of the future...

Well, I wasn't in favor of signing Vlad but it's hard not to be pretty damn excited. This is going to look real nice on OD:

BRob

Nick

Lee

Vlad

Scott

Reynolds

Jones

Wieters

Hardy

I think it will look good on opening day, for sure. I think it will be a VERY solid line-up, if healthy, throughout the year. But I think part of what makes it look outstanding to Orioles fans is that it has been so long since the team had a legit ML lineup to trot out there.

I think it's a poor/borderline very poor "baseball move", and I think Neyer nails it with his quick take:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4/1975809/vladimir-guerrero-orioles-sign-contract-neyer

But, I also concede I doubt BAL had better plans for this money anyway, so the net effect is minimal. Wish we saw this money being pumped into more useful avenues, though. Another 2011 move with little to no thought of the future...

Seconded. Pointless expenditure. Now...I will say that I don't think the Yankees or Jays will be nearly as strong as many people seem to think, but relying on this team, even with Vlad, for anything better than third place goes beyond wishful thinking, IMO. Many better ways for that cash to have been spent.

Way too expensive, but whatevah.

Wonder if there's a corresponding move?

My thought is that this is why the team signed Randy Winn. In case the O's did get Guerrero, now there is going to be a trade, with Winn being able to back up all three outfield positions. Could be totally wrong, though...

Archived