With Vlad in the fold, what's your 2010 offseason grade now?

Moose Milligan

Grade?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Grade?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F: I cannot admit to MacPhail doing anything good.

A-/B+

A lot of solid signings that aren't going to hurt this team in the future in Lee, Hardy, Gregg, and Vlad.

A solid low risk/high reward guy in Duke.

A young slugging 3B under control for 3 years in Mark Reynolds.

That said, aside from Reynolds, none of these guys are in the fold for the future, really. That's a good and bad thing. Ideally a guy like Hardy does well this year and we can sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was torn B or B- just because he made some great short term moves, but we still aren't going to be able to make the playoffs with those moves alone, and I refuse to ignore the lack of international signings BEFORE this wave of great short term moves.

He plugged holes with aging veterans from FA, it's the same MO we've had for 10 years, but it's before the season so we always think things are great. Most of the time after the season when we realize we signed them a year or two too late and they have the worst year of their career we get mad all over again at the same ol' moves.

Don't take it wrong, I do like the moves for the most part, but I question if those are the moves we should be making as a developing club, taking playing time away from younger developing players in the ML to finish 4th at best in our division. Take half of that $20m of payroll we added and add that to the draft/international budget and see where we are in 3 years.

I can't find much to disagree with here. I do think that Lee and Vlad are risks to stink this year. However, as comparisons to previous seasons go, I feel like we at least have good backup plans if one or both guys stink.

I gave it a B-.

I am excited about the Guerrero signing but won't go overboard with it.

I am not pleased that there were no long term acquisitions for the minors, though we also didn't give anything up of consequence.

Looking ahead to next off-season, I would think the Orioles could pick up some draft picks for Duscherer, Lee, and Hardy if they aren't resigned.

I gave it a B+ for the fact that every hole we had was filled. Unfortunately after Reynolds we could have the same interesting offseason next year. Now if we invest more into player drafting and development this season. If we get some draft picks for players next year. If we get another 2 years of productivity in Hardy after this year before Machado develops. And if we trade for a blocked 1B this year than the whole year could become an A+. But if our core players regress (not expecting) and we don't do anything in the draft or during the season to address long term holes than this next offseason will be filled again with angst and intrigue.

Everything he says.

A.

The ONLY thing I don't like about this offseason is that we could have a great season and still have a bunch of holes to fill next year when Hardy, Lee, and Vlad contracts run out. We are gonna be in the same situation, so this season's success will not really be indicative of our future.

That said, MacPhail did a great job, and I take back everything negative I said about him in October thru December!

I wonder what grade Reimold and Tillmand would give this offseason. Seems they just lost a lot of money and will be plaing on a solid Norfolk Team rather than in the majors.

That Norfolk team is gonna be stacked with guys who were on our major league roster in previous seasons. Tillman, Reimold, Bell, Andino, others.

• 3 years later...

Archived