With Vlad in the fold, what's your 2010 offseason grade now?

Moose Milligan

Grade?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Grade?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F: I cannot admit to MacPhail doing anything good.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Upgrade to a B+ for me.

I am assuming that the 8mm is incentivized, if it is a straight 8mm, then its a B.

They are saying that it is heavily deferred. As long as it doesn't mess up the draft budget, that's all I care about. I do not want to see a signability pick in this year's deep draft

Still a B for me. Vlad makes the 2011 team marginally better, but comes at expense of playing time for Pie/Reimold. The idea was okay, but it seems the contract was poor.

One of the benefits of targeting Vlad was that he had a good shot at qualifying for type B, but at his contract it probably isn't even worth it to offer arbitration.

If the 8 MM is guaranteed, I'd probably downgrade to a B-.

B+ for sure.

There were no real LT deals or solutions per say, but this team got a whole heck of a lot better with what was available.

All the Orioles players seem really excited about going into ST, and I hope that excitement will translate on the field.

This is going to be a fun year...

Could be an A+, but I feel the lack of trades to bring us some younger, long term talent could bite us if we don't flip at least a couple of these guys, mid-season. That said, Andy did about as well as can be expected with what he had to work with. If the Os go on and make some nose, this is SI cover story material. Nice work, AM.

B+ for sure.

There were no real LT deals or solutions per say, but this team got a whole heck of a lot better with what was available.

All the Orioles players seem really excited about going into ST, and I hope that excitement will translate on the field.

This is going to be a fun year...

Our new 3B says Hi!

I gave it a B+ for the fact that every hole we had was filled. Unfortunately after Reynolds we could have the same interesting offseason next year. Now if we invest more into player drafting and development this season. If we get some draft picks for players next year. If we get another 2 years of productivity in Hardy after this year before Machado develops. And if we trade for a blocked 1B this year than the whole year could become an A+. But if our core players regress (not expecting) and we don't do anything in the draft or during the season to address long term holes than this next offseason will be filled again with angst and intrigue.

I'm at B+ right now. I didn't really feel Vlad was an important 1 year addition, so I'm not giving MacPhail much credit for it.

Now, if MacPhail can trade Scott and get a potential long term solution to first or a potential good starting pitcher, that would bump it to an A.

I was torn B or B- just because he made some great short term moves, but we still aren't going to be able to make the playoffs with those moves alone, and I refuse to ignore the lack of international signings BEFORE this wave of great short term moves.

He plugged holes with aging veterans from FA, it's the same MO we've had for 10 years, but it's before the season so we always think things are great. Most of the time after the season when we realize we signed them a year or two too late and they have the worst year of their career we get mad all over again at the same ol' moves.

Don't take it wrong, I do like the moves for the most part, but I question if those are the moves we should be making as a developing club, taking playing time away from younger developing players in the ML to finish 4th at best in our division. Take half of that $20m of payroll we added and add that to the draft/international budget and see where we are in 3 years.

B+ for 2011 -- big improvements from last year, even if the roster is shy of a likely contender. B- when you consider long term impact -- there's very very little of that. Vlad seems like an inconsequential signing.

Haha, I replied before I read this, and then was like oh, there's a shock, I'm agreeing on something with Stotle again.

Archived