Bautista's extension

clapdiddy

Jose Bautista has signed an extension that could pay him 78M over the next 6 years.

Am I the only one a little skeptical about a guy who's highest season HR total was 16 and had never had an OPS higher than .757 before last season?

I think I'd have to get another season out of the guy just to prove it wasn't a fluke.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jose Bautista has signed an extension that could pay him 78M over the next 6 years.

Am I the only one a little skeptical about a guy who's highest season HR total was 16 and had never had an OPS higher than .757 before last season?

I think I'd have to get another season out of the guy just to prove it wasn't a fluke.

No kidding. I'd want to see the follow up to make sure it's not just a George Foster-type year.

Partially.

They are paying Bautista, on average, about $10 million a year less; even in the last option it ends up around $5 million less. I also have to think there are clauses to protect the Blue Jays in case last season was a fluke.

How can there be performance based clauses to protect fluke seasons? I thought that couldn't be done?

I meant more in the vein of an opt-out clause, or a team option after a couple years, or something else that gives each side the option to (dis)continue the deal.

Maybe there's a playing time clause to protect them in case somebody notices that he's actually standing in the strike zone and drills him in the wrist with a 97 mph fastball.

The better thing to do would have been to try and flip him if he can prove it's not a fluke. Bautista isn't that young, and the Jays have basically given themselves no room for error on this contract. Either he booms or he busts. He simply can't go back to being what he was prior to last season.

Archived