Britton optioned to AAA

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JTrea, what do you think our record will be at the end of the year if Britton was on the team from the start? What do you think our record will be if we call Britton up at the end of April?

Better, but hopefully not too much better. We don't want Andy MacPhail looking good.

I'll ask this again.

We have a good chance of going 0-4 in all those starts,

But I'll be optimistic and say we'll win 1 of the 4 and I'll give Britton one loss for the heck of it.

So three losses extra. But how many losing streaks will happen if those losses occur during the last game of the Tampa series and the last game of the Yankees series for example?

You always hear talk about a stopper? Britton is a stopper IMO.

“Obviously it’s tough,” said Rays third baseman Evan Longoria who was a late-spring cut in 2008, despite hitting .262 with three homers and 10 RBIs, in favor of Willy Aybar. The Rays insisted the top prospect needed more work, but the move –which didn’t sit well in Tampa Bay’s clubhouse – raised questions about whether it was financially-driven. Longoria said he had no shortage of motivation in his short time at Triple-A Durham, and empathized with Britton’s situation.

“The biggest thing is understanding that you are that close, you are only half a step away from being in the big leagues” said Longoria, who was recalled for good when Aybar went on the disabled list April 12. “[And] understanding that probably everybody in the [Orioles] clubhouse knows that [britton] should be on the team. It’s just understanding the politics of the game. When it’s time for him to come up, he’s going to be the first one to get the phone call.”

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2011/03/29/britton-optioned-2/

We have a good chance of going 0-4 in all those starts,

But I'll be optimistic and say we'll win 1 of the 4 and I'll give Britton one loss for the heck of it.

So two losses extra. But how many losing streaks will happen if those losses occur during the last game of the Tampa series and the last game of the Yankees series?

You always hear talk about a stopper? Britton is a stopper IMO.

I think the main difference here, other than you not understanding what's best for the team, is how you seem to overrate Britton compared to others.

Look at their performance vs. these teams.

Bergesen and Tillman have both been lit up by Tampa so that's the first big test.

The pitch limit is something the Orioles could solve by going to a 6 man rotation in September for example.

So you want to go to a 6 man rotation when we would be (jeebus willing) fighting for a playoff spot? Where we would have to use Tillman and Bergesen anyway, or somebody worse? You'd rather weaken the staff in September just to win 1 or 2 more games in April?

Are we really going to have the same arguments running in three different threads (at least)?

I will just say, best of luck to Britton for a strong first couple of weeks in AAA. And best of luck to the other starters to get the Orioles off to a good start.

To Tony's point, I agree something needs to be done about these timing issues in the next CBA. A system that incentivizes teams not to go with their best team on Opening Day is a bad system.

Tillman against Texas:

3.38 ERA 0.98 WHIP .191BA AGAINST

He's a must start for that series, right?

Stop ruining this message board man.

Ah, that's a good point. And regarding Tampa Bay, isn't the make up of their lineup outside Longoria considerably different than the guys that Tillman and Bergy faced last year? And it was mentioned last night but we're not keeping Britton down with some guys with no potential or upside in his place. And I have to ask, how do we know Britton won't have some struggles out of the gate? For all we know he could be a little nervous about making his first start especially at home.

“I’ve been through this [situation] a couple different times so I kind of know how to handle it,” Britton said. “I’m not the type of guy that’s going to go out there and complain about where I am. I’m not going to like it, but I’ll go out there and pitch because it doesn’t help me or the organization if I go down to Triple-A and pout. I’m not going to get up here any quicker. I need to go out there and get people out whether I’m in Norfolk or Baltimore.”

I missed the part where he said the organization lied to him.

I think the main difference here, other than you not understanding what's best for the team, is how you seem to overrate Britton compared to others.

Not just that, but he both overrates Britton's initial success while completely pooping on Tillman and BB. So in Trea's world, Britton is 3-1 and Till/BB are 1-3. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

I missed the part where he said the organization lied to him.

Hopefully Britton and Nolan become good friends, because they both will be Orioles sooner rather than later.

As an aside to all this, Norfolk's team is looking pretty darn solid.

Archived